Vanarama Issues

Hi,
I've now been waiting almost 1 year to receive my MG ZS EV from Vanarama (leasing company) and I would appreciate anyone elses experiences of delays receiving their vehicle, in particular if leasing / hire purchase, and especially if through vanarama.
I appreciate the supply chain is complex these days, but I am getting conflicting information from vanarama, and different info from a friend who has ordered exactly the same car, at exactly the same time, from vanarama, but just on a personal lease rather than a business lease.

After being delayed twice, I have now been told the car will be delivered beginning of 2023. However, have been told that because the delivery will be over 1 year from agreeing the purchase/lease, that I will lose the government EV grant, and the lease will be significantly (+28%) more expensive each month.
Conversely, my friend who has taken the lease personally, has been told by the same company that the car wont arrive until at least April 2023, but there has been no mention of a price increase.

Something doesn't stack up and I think I'm being mucked about, so hoping that other members of this forum have experience, where we can build a better picture of the truth, and whether different costs etc are being applied to different people, without good cause.
Would very much welcome any advice to ensure I don't pay more than the original agreement, and I get my car asap.
If anyone has any knowledge etc of the gov grant and whether vanarama are within their rights to increase the cost, even before I've received the vehicle, that too would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

[ Edited Coulomb: moved from another forum. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have entered into 2 contracts one with Vanarama and one with a finance company regarding the lease in my case Hitachi .

Now some bits from the Finance contract.
Once you have signed the Hire Agreement, it will then be binding on both of us, and
you will have no general right to withdraw or cancel, even though the vehicle may not
be delivered to you for some time, depending on the manufacture delivery estimate.
You will have been informed of the delivery estimate by the supplying dealer. If the
manufacturer exceeds the delivery estimate by more than the greater of 6 weeks or
50%, either one of us may thereafter opt to cancel the Hire Agreement by giving 2
weeks’ notice in writing. Such notice will only terminate the Hire Agreement if the
Vehicle is not delivered by the date on which the notice expires, meaning no liability
on either side.
Our Right to Increase Rental: We have the right to increase the rental amount
payable by you for the reasons explained in clause 2.2 and if the Vehicle has not
been delivered to you, you can choose to terminate the Hire Agreement at no cost.

clause 2.2
2.2 The sums payable under this Agreement have been calculated on the
assumptions that there will be no change in: the estimated purchase price
of the Vehicle quoted by the manufacturer or supplier at the time we
placed the order for the Vehicle, import duty, tax law or practice or the
rates of taxation or capital allowances or any other change which
adversely affects our net after tax rate of return on our investment in the
Vehicle. If these assumptions are or become incorrect and we have not
delivered the Vehicle to you, you may terminate this Agreement; or if you
wish to take delivery of the Vehicle, we will be entitled to increase the
Rentals to compensate us.
I suspect you could tattoo those onto some of the "contributors" to this thread and they'll still argue Vanarama can't increase the price.

I suspect you could tattoo those onto some of the "contributors" to this thread and they'll still argue Vanarama can't increase the price.
It's not Vanarama though it's the finance company which you don't have to accept the issue will then be can Vanarama have any legal recourse in getting any money out of you regards to the charger.

Also if the UK govt lower the vat rate, which is possible, should that also be reflected in your monthly price

So what is the point you are making here with your speech mark "contributors" ?

Is your opinion that people should buy something then expect the price to increase by 3k and just roll over and get on with it because it might be buried in some terms and conditions?

Some "contributors" should read the full thread and understand there is no option for us to choose to terminate at no cost as we are being told we have to pay £500 for a charger. Perhaps you could tattoo fool on to yourself

The issue is you haven't bought anything you are hiring, you own nothing.

The clause is by the finance company not Vanarama and I suspect that not everyone is signed up with Hitachi so clauses may very.

Me personally won't be paying anymore and if I do cancel or Hitachi cancel the contract which they can also do then Vanarama can swing for the hills if they think they will get a penny from me.

I do think that there is an argument that the used car prices of these MGs will still be very high in 3 to 5 years meaning that the finance company won't be out of pocket.

The issue is Vanarama have over sold something with no pipeline stock earmarked and they are continuing to take orders for an item when they haven't delivered on orders going back to November 2021. They will blame everyone and everything under the sun but the buck stops with Vanarama for selling something with a time frame which they couldn't guarantee.

MG will churn the cars out as quickly as they want to keep demand high and them in the conversation as they also keep updating models every 2 years and with each revamp jumping in price lts the same business model Kia used all those years ago.

Is your opinion that people should buy something then expect the price to increase by 3k and just roll over and get on with it because it might be buried in some terms and conditions?
Yes.
That's how contracts work, and telling people to just ignore the contract they signed isn't contributing.
Some "contributors" should read the full thread and understand there is no option for us to choose to terminate at no cost as we are being told we have to pay £500 for a charger.
It's very sad you're not getting free stuff and leaving a business substantially out of pocket because of something neither of you have control over but, again, it's the contract you signed up to.

There's basically 2 choices;
  1. Hang on, hope there's no increase, but will have to pay it if there is.
  2. Cancel and, if applicable, pay half price for the very expensive equipment you have already received and can use with any EV in the future.

So what is the point you are making here with your speech mark "contributors" ?

Some "contributors" should read the full thread and understand there is no option for us to choose to terminate at no cost as we are being told we have to pay £500 for a charger. Perhaps you could tattoo fool on to yourself
Yes.
That's how contracts work, and telling people to just ignore the contract they signed isn't contributing.

It's very sad you're not getting free stuff and leaving a business substantially out of pocket because of something neither of you have control over but, again, it's the contract you signed up to.

2. Cancel and, if applicable, pay half price for the very expensive equipment you have already received and can use with any EV in the future.

I thought it was £350 for the charger, an absolute bargain.

Yes.

Wow. What an incredible point of view. No wonder they think they can get away with it.

I assure you I won't be paying for it so I will report back here once I have completed that task

I cancelled and paid £350 for the charger. Picked up a cancelled order MG5 Exclusive from a local MG dealer so I think I came out of it well.

I cancelled and paid £350 for the charger. Picked up a cancelled order MG5 Exclusive from a local MG dealer so I think I came out of it well.
I'd say that you did. £350 inc fitting for a charge point is better than you can get now, and the MG5 LR is an excellent car. To me it's better in every way apart from the lack of panoramic roof, and an estate is much better than an SUV. 😉

Is the mg5 nice? Iv just this min been looking at it online.
Just driven our first long drive today, (150 miles) and it’s fine.
Easy and comfortable drive.
Stopped for half an hour and decided to experiment topping up charge at a Gridpoint charger. 20 minutes gave us about 75 miles extra range.
Played about with ACC etc and all good.
A bit confused about MG Pilot as it switched itself on for the first half of the journey but didn’t come on for the second half…🤔 but I’m sure there’s a simple reason!
Averaged just over 4kwh driving in ECO with some 65mph (Mways) on and off ACC combined with normal roads.
Plenty of luggage space.
We actually wanted the ZS but not being able to get one, (Vanarama), we cancelled as this was available.
Overall very pleased so far.

Just driven our first long drive today, (150 miles) and it’s fine.
Easy and comfortable drive.
Stopped for half an hour and decided to experiment topping up charge at a Gridpoint charger. 20 minutes gave us about 75 miles extra range.
Played about with ACC etc and all good.
A bit confused about MG Pilot as it switched itself on for the first half of the journey but didn’t come on for the second half…🤔 but I’m sure there’s a simple reason!
Averaged just over 4kwh driving in ECO with some 65mph (Mways) on and off ACC combined with normal roads.
Plenty of luggage space.
We actually wanted the ZS but not being able to get one, (Vanarama), we cancelled as this was available.
Overall very pleased so far.
That’s good to know. I do prefer the look of the ZS but might look into this. Vanarama have on their website that 14-21day lead time 😂😂.

Did they honour the original price of Zs?
I think the repayments would have been about the same due to price increases since I placed my original order last November but as I didn’t want a black car I didn’t go into it. The MG5 I’ve got is Westminster Silver and looks very nice!
FDD9F1A9-00FB-480A-98B7-EDD6F844FE34.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom