Vehicle Control System Fault

pickle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Only had my XPower for a few days, 150 miles on the odo.

Just done a short trip up the road (first time driven in the rain) and the car was repeatedly putting itself into limp mode with the error "Vehicle Control System Fault. Take Vehicle to MG Dealer"

Regenerative braking also seems to have completely disappeared whilst this error is present.

Several minutes later the car would return to normal with a notification of "Speed Limit Cleared"

Has anyone encountered this before? I have seen a post from 2022 where someone reported this issue, but doesn't seem to have mentioned any resolution.

Attachments

• PXL_20240121_160423306.jpg
    PXL_20240121_160423306.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Was planning on dropping it off asap 👍

But in the interest of avoiding a month long back and forth with MG dealers, part of me was hoping someone might just tell me a sensor is dirty.

Was planning on dropping it off asap 👍

But in the interest of avoiding a month long back and forth with MG dealers, part of me was hoping someone might just tell me a sensor is dirty.
I don't believe we know what causes this fault but it is suspected to be a software bug as it seems to happen randomly.

You'll probably find, next time you go out in it, it will be fine.
I've had it twice in 4 months.

Got out, locked it.
Walked round the car.
Unlocked it, got in, back to normal.

I've also got a rear camera view that is permanently blue.
If I do soft reset, I get my view back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurance both. When I got back in the car 45 mins later the warning was still active but it soon cleared itself and didn't come back on for the remainder of the journey.

Dealer isn't too far away so I'll pay them a visit this week. The thought of that triggering mid overtake is slightly haunting me!

Thanks for the reassurance both. When I got back in the car 45 mins later the warning was still active but it soon cleared itself and didn't come back on for the remainder of the journey.

Dealer isn't too far away so I'll pay them a visit this week. The thought of that triggering mid overtake is slightly haunting me!

Still shouldn't be happening. But I've had a few trips to the dealer regarding different issues, and they have usually solved everything with updates. Not charging, window opening without a reason, heating issues. Everything solved.

Rang my local dealer. The earliest they're able to get me into the workshop is end of February.

Failing that, they've provided me with the contact number for MG assist to call if it happens again.

The fault occurred again today, and this coincided with the car completely refusing to charge. Following several failed attempts at different charge points, I decided to leave the car with the MG Dealer up the road.

The car wouldn't go above 30mph en route, so I'm glad I didn't have to brave the journey home along a NSL dual carriageway!

I'm struggling dearly to not to let this ruin my love for the car.

The fault occurred again today, and this coincided with the car completely refusing to charge. Following several failed attempts at different charge points, I decided to leave the car with the MG Dealer up the road.

The car wouldn't go above 30mph en route, so I'm glad I didn't have to brave the journey home along a NSL dual carriageway!

I'm struggling dearly to not to let this ruin my love for the car.
Meh, I also experienced software issues with my MG4 the first month. Not charging and other stuff. Now it's perfect.

Sounds like a right pickle, pickle.

If I were you,
(and I'm not, so do what you think is best)

I would make it very clear to the service chap and dealer principal, that this is their ONE chance to repair the car before you reject it.

It just sounds like a "wrong un" straight out of the box.

Luckily, it sounds like your dealer is pretty close, so that should make things a bit easier.

Good Luck with it. 👍

Last edited:
I would echo that, Pickle. The last thing you want is to be stuck with a lemon. The cars are brilliant, but bad apples happen in any batch. You're still at the stage when you can reject the car and just walk away. If you do that you can always re-order and get another one, and people have done that and been happy. Think about it.

I had this same error when my car was only 4 days old a few mo the ago. Called MG and they couldn't fit me in for over a month which said was unacceptable on a new car and they told me to bring it in same day and they will see what can do... was with them 3 weeks! But they had to update several modules and I asked for Infotainment update too. This fixed it, but if I was you I'd get it checked ASAP as I was ready to reject the car if they didn't fix.

Thanks guys

I had considered threatening rejecting the car, but unfortunately I feel like it wouldn't have all that much leverage as I didn't purchase the car from this particular dealer (purchased via a work scheme) I suppose I would need to escalate this up to MG themselves if I wanted my threat to have any weight?

@dave3005 that sounds almost identical to my situation. Car was 3 days old when it first happened (now only 5 days old) and I was quoted over a month for them to look at it.

I've tried ringing the dealer multiple times today for an update, but they haven't responded to any of my calls. The quest will continue tomorrow.

@dave3005 out of curiosity, did yours also stop charging when this issue happened? I'm trying to work out if the two are linked, as I've seen separate reports of people's vehicles not charging. I'm wondering if I'm plagued with two separate issues 😂

I have notified them 👍 which lead to an amusing discussion around who was responsible for providing a courtesy car. MG saying lease company, lease company saying the insurance underwriter, insurance underwriter saying the lease company.

You're right though, I suppose it's the lease company I should be threatening the rejection to, though I'm not quite sure how that would escalate things when it currently sits with a dealer.

Thanks guys

I had considered threatening rejecting the car, but unfortunately I feel like it wouldn't have all that much leverage as I didn't purchase the car from this particular dealer (purchased via a work scheme) I suppose I would need to escalate this up to MG themselves if I wanted my threat to have any weight?

@dave3005 that sounds almost identical to my situation. Car was 3 days old when it first happened (now only 5 days old) and I was quoted over a month for them to look at it.

I've tried ringing the dealer multiple times today for an update, but they haven't responded to any of my calls. The quest will continue tomorrow.

@dave3005 out of curiosity, did yours also stop charging when this issue happened? I'm trying to work out if the two are linked, as I've seen separate reports of people's vehicles not charging. I'm wondering if I'm plagued with two separate issues 😂
Yes I had charging issues too! I thought mine was unrelated as nobody else mentions this and i think this confused them for longer because they said it charged for them when they were testing. They eventually got MG to agree to update "several modules" on the car which fixed both issues because of the fact I tried multiple chargers and then tried those same chargers on the MG ZS Ev they loaned me (after I said the MG3 wasn't big enough and realised would take more than a week to fix, and proved chargers work fine). That seemed to be enough to convince them an update was necessary and thankfully no further issues so far. Wonder if a batch have a bad module updates applied, if yours was in stock for work scheme to supply it might have been on same boat over even?

I have notified them 👍 which lead to an amusing discussion around who was responsible for providing a courtesy car. MG saying lease company, lease company saying the insurance underwriter, insurance underwriter saying the lease company.

You're right though, I suppose it's the lease company I should be threatening the rejection to, though I'm not quite sure how that would escalate things when it currently sits with a dealer.
Yeah sounds more confusing than mine as I brought direct for the MG garage, their sales person gave me their demo car(s) to use as the normal courtesy cars were all booked out and think they were worried I'd reject car and they lose their commission probably.

Just had a call back to say the car is already on the latest software, but they've found a whole host of wiring issues with the car.

They commented that fixing the issue could not be prioritised beyond the other work they have on, so any sort of fix would commence end of Feb.

I think this makes it a slightly easy decision for me to reject the car.. better luck next time I guess! It was fun for a whole 100 miles

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back