Vehicle Control System Fault

Just had a call back to say the car is already on the latest software, but they've found a whole host of wiring issues with the car.

They commented that fixing the issue could not be prioritised beyond the other work they have on, so any sort of fix would commence end of Feb.

I think this makes it a slightly easy decision for me to reject the car.. better luck next time I guess! It was fun for a whole 100 miles
Absobloodylutely!
Good Luck Next Time.

Just had a call back to say the car is already on the latest software, but they've found a whole host of wiring issues with the car.

They commented that fixing the issue could not be prioritised beyond the other work they have on, so any sort of fix would commence end of Feb.

I think this makes it a slightly easy decision for me to reject the car.. better luck next time I guess! It was fun for a whole 100 miles

Absolutely. Nobody should have to accept a new car in this condition. You could ask them about a like-for-like exchange. Most cars do not have issues, and they're fantastic to drive.

......but they've found a whole host of wiring issues with the car........
Yikes, sorry to hear that 😒. I agree with the above comments seeing as your car is so new.

There are plenty of "In Stock" XPowers about in the UK for sale at the moment so a straight swap would seem fair and reasonable. If you purchased through your work scheme maybe pursue it up through them ?

Last edited:

Yep that's unfortunate but yes rejecting and asking for a like-for-like replacement will likely be the best option. You may even find just the threat of rejection suddenly opens up a slot for them to fix the wiring issues 🤞 Hope things work out for you and you end up with a reliable car one way or another.

They should just give you another car.

The car is utter crapola. I'm counting the days till June when my VW arrives. This Lane Kill alright as left me fearful of it.

Wiring issues on a new car is a bit worrying as I’ve just ordered an mg4! Regarding software updates, hasn’t this model been in production for over a year now….i would have thought new cars would be delivered with the latest (fairly bug free) software from the factory?

The car is utter crapola. I'm counting the days till June when my VW arrives. This Lane Kill alright as left me fearful of it.

We've been through this before, but I cannot understand why you don't just turn it off every time you sit down in the car. I know it's a nuisance, but it's better than developing PTSD over it.

Which VW you ordered, I have an ID.3 until Monday and it also has Lane Assist that wants to kill you.

You will also need to turn it off every time you drive.

The whole ID range is a terrible joke, I can’t wait to get rid of mine.

Last edited:
I've ordered a Taigo with a Petrol Engine. The problem is I'm disabled and the lane killer is too powerful or violent in action and I'm struggling to hold the steering wheel. It's causing immense pain. I've yest drove a Taigo and deliberately drove it when needing next dose of pain killers etc to see how much pain it could cause. Essentially nothing in comparison to the 4. As everyone knows on here, I drive with the camera blinded by a sticker so to permanently deactivate it. Yes I lose Cruise but I don't get as much pain from driving it. When a car puts you in tears and such pain from it, it's time for MG to just shake their heads and listen to the owners. My SE still reactivates Lane Killer when the lights auto switch on and off. MG accepted that the car does it and that's how it is. It needs a permanent deactivation.

I've ordered a Taigo with a Petrol Engine. The problem is I'm disabled and the lane killer is too powerful or violent in action and I'm struggling to hold the steering wheel. It's causing immense pain. I've yest drove a Taigo and deliberately drove it when needing next dose of pain killers etc to see how much pain it could cause. Essentially nothing in comparison to the 4. As everyone knows on here, I drive with the camera blinded by a sticker so to permanently deactivate it. Yes I lose Cruise but I don't get as much pain from driving it. When a car puts you in tears and such pain from it, it's time for MG to just shake their heads and listen to the owners. My SE still reactivates Lane Killer when the lights auto switch on and off. MG accepted that the car does it and that's how it is. It needs a permanent deactivation.
I'm sorry you have to endure that and I absolute detest LKA as well, but maybe you should direct your anger towards NCAP, not MG. If the car maker does not adhere to NCAP recommendations, the car will be at a disadvantage in the eyes of the buyers. It's them who make these boneheaded decisions that putting new and mostly untested software will make cars super-safe, as there are probably very few people in there who have deep understanding of software development. They should stick to crash tests and car hardware only.

Also explain how come every other person with an SE SR is able to turn this off when they sit down in the car, and it stays off. (I know there have been issues with it reactivating sometimes in the Trophy.)

I do it, every single time (unless I'm not leaving the 30 mph zone where it doesn't activate), and this is not a medical necessity, just personal preference.

I really don't understand your problem, Joanne.

We've been through this before, but I cannot understand why you don't just turn it off every time you sit down in the car. I know it's a nuisance, but it's better than developing PTSD over it.
I haven’t received my MG4 yet but from what I’ve learnt so far: if I indicate when changing lane then no lane correction; if I drift onto a white line then lane correction (good, yes?). So when is the lane correction a nuisance?

Lane correction is not a nuisance per se but rather the force exerted by the correction system to the steering wheel that can steer you into danger if the system incorrectly identified lines/edges or you are taking emergency action without the time to indicate.

I haven’t received my MG4 yet but from what I’ve learnt so far: if I indicate when changing lane then no lane correction; if I drift onto a white line then lane correction (good, yes?). So when is the lane correction a nuisance?
Its a nuisance on the faster more rural roads as system can get a bit confused. I turn it off if I am going to journey on rural roads, but leave on for major/dual carriageways/motorway.
System appears to be much better on recent cars.

Try it on a single-carriageway A road with bends, the sort of road where you will naturally cut the corners when there's nobody coming the other way.

Also, a car twitching its own steering wheel. It's unnatural and probably the work of the devil.

Had an interesting phone call from the dealer first thing this morning.

They've said I need to collect the car myself if my intention is to reject it, and let the lease company collect the car from my property.

They didn't seem too interested in my argument that the vehicle would be unsafe to drive home along the motorway, given it's currently maxing out at 30mph in the limp mode, not to mention the car only has ~40 miles of charge remaining.

Their response was that I would have to pay a storage fee if I'm refusing to collect the car..

Perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic, but this situation seems a little ridiculous?
A brand new car which is no longer functional after < 5 days of use, the garage has no interest in prioritising its fix (quoting end of Feb to look further into the issue), refused to offer a courtesy car, and is now asking me to pay storage fees!

Had an interesting phone call from the dealer first thing this morning.

They've said I need to collect the car myself if my intention is to reject it, and let the lease company collect the car from my property.

They didn't seem too interested in my argument that the vehicle would be unsafe to drive home along the motorway, given it's currently maxing out at 30mph in the limp mode, not to mention the car only has ~40 miles of charge remaining.

Their response was that I would have to pay a storage fee if I'm refusing to collect the car..

Perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic, but this situation seems a little ridiculous?
A brand new car which is no longer functional after < 5 days of use, the garage has no interest in prioritising its fix (quoting end of Feb to look further into the issue), refused to offer a courtesy car, and is now asking me to pay storage fees!
Threaten them with Martin Lewis M8!
Just the sort of thing he'd like to get his teeth into!

Edit....Don't threaten. Do it!👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel