Vehicle Control System Fault

Had an interesting phone call from the dealer first thing this morning.

They've said I need to collect the car myself if my intention is to reject it, and let the lease company collect the car from my property.

They didn't seem too interested in my argument that the vehicle would be unsafe to drive home along the motorway, given it's currently maxing out at 30mph in the limp mode, not to mention the car only has ~40 miles of charge remaining.

Their response was that I would have to pay a storage fee if I'm refusing to collect the car..

Perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic, but this situation seems a little ridiculous?
A brand new car which is no longer functional after < 5 days of use, the garage has no interest in prioritising its fix (quoting end of Feb to look further into the issue), refused to offer a courtesy car, and is now asking me to pay storage fees!
How long have you had the car now. Rejecting is apparently simplest in first 30 days. Until then you can just leave it with them queuing for a fix whilst you investigate. Just tell them you haven't decided if rejecting yet so until then you are waiting for them to fix it (where they presumably are agreeing to store it for free).

I agree this does seem ridiculous though considering it is an MG car, surely it saves them a job having at MG already when rejecting - not sure how it works legally with a lease company involved, but presume my suggestion will buy you the time to find out at least.

If it is under 6 months since purchase, and they've already had their single repair attempt and the goods still do not conform to contract, then you are within your rights to exercise your Final Right To Reject per the Consumer Rights Act 2015. However you need to exercise this right with the seller ... if you're leasing the car then the seller is the lease company not necessarily the garage you collected the car from.

Bowfer had this problem, and it's worth a read of that thread to see how he dealt with it. I think in the end he left the car on his dealer's forecourt and said, all yours mate, send me my money. They did.

Had an interesting phone call from the dealer first thing this morning.

They've said I need to collect the car myself if my intention is to reject it, and let the lease company collect the car from my property.

They didn't seem too interested in my argument that the vehicle would be unsafe to drive home along the motorway, given it's currently maxing out at 30mph in the limp mode, not to mention the car only has ~40 miles of charge remaining.

Their response was that I would have to pay a storage fee if I'm refusing to collect the car..

Perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic, but this situation seems a little ridiculous?
A brand new car which is no longer functional after < 5 days of use, the garage has no interest in prioritising its fix (quoting end of Feb to look further into the issue), refused to offer a courtesy car, and is now asking me to pay storage fees!
Playing devil's advocate.
You have bought the car from the lease company not the dealer so why should they store a car that's nothing to do with them?
If you are rejecting the car the dealer has no financial gain in looking at it or providing a courtesy car.

Contact the lease company and put the problem in their court.

Hi all, just wanted to provide an update.

Vehicle has now been with the dealer for 6 weeks. MG "master technicians" have been actively inspecting the car the past 3 weeks, ripping seats out, rear motor out, the whole shebang. Communication has been poor throughout, so I'm not aware of the full details. However, I'm told the fault is yet to even be diagnosed.

Up until yesterday, I had repeatedly been told by the lease company I was not within my rights to reject the car. Their stance on this changed as of yesterday, where I'm now being told I can only reject the car once the issue has been resolved.

I'm still paying for the vehicle in the meantime, and there has been zero indication as to how long the repairs may take. Courtesy car (MG4 SE Long Range) has been provided, and I'm told there will be some level of reimbursement for inconvenience, loss of enjoyment, etc.

I appreciate the lemon I've been handed is probably an outlier from other people's experiences. However, the lack of grace with which my case has been handled by both dealer and lease company has made me want to stay away from MG and salary sacrifice schemes for good.

Have you raised a formal complaint with the lease company? If yes and they haven't resolved it within 8 weeks and/or issued you a deadlock letter then you can raise a claim with FOS.

Have you raised a formal complaint with the lease company? If yes and they haven't resolved it within 8 weeks and/or issued you a deadlock letter then you can raise a claim with FOS.
I believe the problem with salary sacrifice leases is that you are not the client, your company is, so it is down to whoever manages the leases, not you. It is the arrangement where you have the least control.

Following this as we have had it happen today, our MG4 SE, new this week. Failed to charge the night before last but I blamed the charger, today had the same fault on and off throughout a journey.
Will be calling the dealer tomorrow…. Not what we wanted

Apologies for the revival, but thought I'd check in with an update as it's been another 6 weeks.

It's now been over 3 months since it was dropped off at the garage with the fault. I don't have all the details as to the troubleshooting the dealership has done.. but I do know they have replaced the HV cable, and their latest attempt involves replacing the motors..

I'm still paying for the vehicle, still stuck in my agreement, still have the courtesy MG4 SE. I'm being reimbursed a small amount each month for "loss of enjoyment".

Unfortunately I'm not legally entitled to under a salary sacrifice scheme. I'm technically not treated as a consumer in this instance.

I've cross checked this with various people, including the BVRLA.

Unfortunately I'm not legally entitled to under a salary sacrifice scheme. I'm technically not treated as a consumer in this instance.

I've cross checked this with various people, including the BVRLA.

A hearty congratulations from me for keeping your composure during this frustrating debacle.

I would hate to be tested this way.
I'm not sure I would do very well.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums