Vehicle to load discharge cable

I bought one of the first batch of V2L cables that EV cables produced.
It works fine on our ZS EV LR ( Gen2 ) that we collected in March 2023.
I would have thought that both yours and ours would have the same resistor fitted myself ????.
I measured a resistance on that one around 1.7k ohms, if I remember correctly. I sent it back to them because it wasn't working. That's when I found the emay one at a fifth of the price and some people on Facebook who had one and said they worked. When it arrived and had a different resistance (470ohm) I was hopeful but that didn't work either.

I can take it apart easily and I saw the resistor in there I'm thinking of switching it out for a 2kohm as suggested in a previous comment

I measured a resistance on that one around 1.7k ohms, if I remember correctly. I sent it back to them because it wasn't working. That's when I found the emay one at a fifth of the price and some people on Facebook who had one and said they worked. When it arrived and had a different resistance (470ohm) I was hopeful but that didn't work either.

I can take it apart easily and I saw the resistor in there I'm thinking of switching it out for a 2kohm as suggested in a previous comment
EV cables were the first company to supply a V2L cable that would suit the MG range.
They were approached by an early customer of a ZS EV LR and they worked closely with the owner until they were happy to offer it to customers.
They probably had little to go on, other than knowing what MG had spec’d as the max limit of 2.1 KWh’s to be drawn via this discharge cable.
The opening offer price was really affordable, but once the first batch had sold out in only three day, when the second batch arrived they had massively increased in price !.
Then later came the deluge of copy adapters and cables from other third party sellers at the likes of EBay etc.
And of course the determination by some to extend the supply drawn from the prove that it is possible to exceed the recommended 2.1 Kw’s drawn, by installing a different size resistors in the cable.
I personally have concerns on this subject due to the warranty implications myself 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking for help with V2L on my ZS EV.
I have tried 2 different discharge connectors now both with no success. (see attached picture) it seems like the car is recognising it as a charge connector.
Has anyone else had this issue? Can anyone think of the cause? I have measured the resistance of my latest connector accross pins PP-PE and that measures 470ohms as it should be for a discharge connector on the MG.

I tried the cable first from evcables.co.uk then I tried the one from ebay mentionned in an earlier post. Both didn't work. Same issues
Looks like u need to click on the tab in the right where it say “discharging” to see the right message

Looks like u need to click on the tab in the right where it say “discharging” to see the right message
I did. It still didn't work.

Attachments

• 20230405_174127.jpg
    20230405_174127.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 109
Unable to because of the message on the screen. The car thinks a charging cable is connected
It’s either the cable or the car then ?.
Do you know anybody with another good known V2L cable that you can try ?.
This way you can prove if it’s the car or the cable.
It’s the different size resistors in the cable(s) that the car uses, to identify which type of cable it is using.
The car acknowledges / detects which cable has been plugged in and sets to allow charging or discharging, is my understanding.
I have the EV Cables V2L lead and it has never been a problem TBH.

It’s either the cable or the car then ?.
Do you know anybody with another good known V2L cable that you can try ?.
This way you can prove if it’s the car or the cable.
It’s the different size resistors in the cable(s) that the car uses, to identify which type of cable it is using.
The car acknowledges / detects which cable has been plugged in and sets to allow charging or discharging, is my understanding.
I have the EV Cables V2L lead and it has never been a problem TBH.
I will ask around see if I can find anyone else with an MG. I was hoping that the evcables one would be fine with them being the first ones to supply them really but I tried theirs first and had the same problem. Hence why I sent it back and tried the cheap ebay one. I've even changed the resistor in the cheap one but no luck still.

I will ask around see if I can find anyone else with an MG. I was hoping that the evcables one would be fine with them being the first ones to supply them really but I tried theirs first and had the same problem. Hence why I sent it back and tried the cheap ebay one. I've even changed the resistor in the cheap one but no luck still.
Process of elimination now !.
Does your local dealer have a cable / car you can try ???.

I've just asked my local Facebook ev group if anyone has a known good one as they're meeting Sunday and I'll be going too so if they don't have one ill contact my dealer and ask about it.
Process of elimination now !.
Does your local dealer have a cable / car you can try ???.

I’m having the same issue as @Anything. EV Cables UK suggest it might be a software issue. I’ll be in touch with the dealership, and will post here, once they’ve had a chance to check the matter out.

As an update to my last post, I tried some known good discharge connectors. Even tried mine in another car and it works fine so it seems like an issue with the car. Going to the dealer next week to try their cable in my car. If it works I'm going to measure resistor values etc and try fitting that resistor in my adaptor

As an update to my last post, I tried some known good discharge connectors. Even tried mine in another car and it works fine so it seems like an issue with the car. Going to the dealer next week to try their cable in my car. If it works I'm going to measure resistor values etc and try fitting that resistor in my adaptor
Please keep us informed (y)

I picked up my ZS EV last week, and I seem to have the exact same problem. I've tried all kinds of resistors from 68 ohms to 2.2 kiloohms, and the car always detects the cable as a charging cable. I'd be really interested in what your dealer says before I go to mine...

Last edited:
I picked up my ZS EV last week, and I seem to have the exact same problem. I've tried all kinds of resistors from 68 ohms to 2.2 kiloohms, and the car always detects the cable as a charging cable. I'd be really interested in what your dealer says before I go to mine...
As soon as I go I will post on here. Unfortunately I've been busy not been able to get there yet

Anyone brave enough to try one of these?

Just had one of these delivered, I've just been outside and it looks too be working fine. I must also have the update as I was able to turn the car off and lock it up! The advantage of this discharging connector is the light on it shows its discharging OK. Happy so far

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just had one of these delivered, I've just been outside and it looks too be working fine. I must also have the update as I was able to turn the car off and lock it up! The advantage of this discharging connector is the light on it shows its discharging OK. Happy so far
I have one of these and it didn't work. A friend also let me try theirs and it didn't work but they tried mine and it was fine so the adaptor wasn't broken or anything

What update? Do I need to do software update on MG ZS EV to make it possible to power my house while turning off and locking the car?

Problem for me is that MG only provided a data sim that works in big cities hours from my town. So I can't do anything with iSmart app at home, and don't know how I'm going to update the cars software. They made this a city car, that's for sure. No AM radio, DAB don't work in rural area as no cell towers respond to vodaphone sim. Only 1 FM station where I am.

I’m having the same issue as @Anything. EV Cables UK suggest it might be a software issue. I’ll be in touch with the dealership, and will post here, once they’ve had a chance to check the matter out.
Nothing much to report. Left the car with the dealer. They said software is up to date. I asked if they had tested the V2L. Turns out they didn’t have their own V2L cable so hadn’t tested it! They will order a cable and let me know when it arrives so they can test.

Nothing much to report. Left the car with the dealer. They said software is up to date. I asked if they had tested the V2L. Turns out they didn’t have their own V2L cable so hadn’t tested it! They will order a cable and let me know when it arrives so they can test.
Out of interest: How "new" is your car? Both Anything and I received our cars quite recently. I wonder if the reason is either a "brand-new" software update for the CCU that all of us received before delivery but no one else has yet, or even a hardware change in recently built cars.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom