Vehicle to load discharge cable

Out of interest: How "new" is your car? Both Anything and I received our cars quite recently. I wonder if the reason is either a "brand-new" software update for the CCU that all of us received before delivery but no one else has yet, or even a hardware change in recently built cars.
Took delivery on April 13th.

My car was delivered sept ‘22 and I use ev cable for V2L and it works fine, I still need to leave the vehicle unlocked ..

We collected our ZS EV LR in mid March 22.
The V2L cable worked fine, but it would only keep discharging if the car was left in ready mode, with the car unlocked.
It had its first service in late April of 23 and the software to the BCM ( Body Control Module ) was updated at the same time.
It is my understanding that fairly soon after we collected our car, MG released a software update to help with some Gen2 customers experiencing problems with their cars “Bricking” while trying to receive a charge from certain rapid chargers.
Therefore it was due at least one software update I asked if the V2L could be investigated at the same time.
The car IS now able to provide a discharge when the car is both closed down and locked.

So, all cars that exhibit the problem of not recognizing the discharge cable were delivered this year (and therefore probably built late last year). A hardware issue seems more and more likely. I guess we'll see whenever somebody gets a chance to try the original MG cable.

I guess it is also possible that the MG cable has more internals than just a resistor, and the detection circuit is now more picky...

My Trophy LR was built November-ish last year and delivered in January this year (23). It does V2L perfectly using my home converted type 2 > V2L cable (470 Ohm resistor) and I can switch off and lock the car without affecting V2L

We collected our ZS EV LR in mid March 22.
The V2L cable worked fine, but it would only keep discharging if the car was left in ready mode, with the car unlocked.
It had its first service in late April of 23 and the software to the BCM ( Body Control Module ) was updated at the same time.
It is my understanding that fairly soon after we collected our car, MG released a software update to help with some Gen2 customers experiencing problems with their cars “Bricking” while trying to receive a charge from certain rapid chargers.
Therefore it was due at least one software update I asked if the V2L could be investigated at the same time.
The car IS now able to provide a discharge when the car is both closed down and locked.
!!CONGRATS!! ~ You've reached the V2L holy grail. We have 2020/BY21 ZS EV and are very keen to achieve the same! Can you please explain what hardware and/or firmware we need to achieve V2L with the car both closed down and locked? That is if, indeed our model is capable...

My Trophy LR was built November-ish last year and delivered in January this year (23). It does V2L perfectly using my home converted type 2 > V2L cable (470 Ohm resistor) and I can switch off and lock the car without affecting V2L
!!CONGRATS!! ~ You've reached the V2L holy grail. We have 2020/BY21 ZS EV and are very keen to achieve the same! Can you please explain what hardware and/or firmware we need to achieve V2L with the car both closed down and locked? That is if, indeed our model is capable...

It would appear that you own the ZS EV Gen 1 version, going by the year of your car ?.
The model with the large black “pop up” type grill, at the front.
If so, sorry to say that the Gen 1 model does not come with the capability to provide V2L discharge ( with a suitable cable ) as standard from the factory.
This feature was only added when the Gen2 face lifted model was released.
I believe that one member did purchase a 12 volt inverter for his Gen1 ZS EV and was able to use this ?.

When will V2H or V2G become available?
I have solar panels and it would be useful to charge the car and then use the power to run the house.

When will V2H or V2G become available?
I have solar panels and it would be useful to charge the car and then use the power to run the house.
As far as I know, the inverter currently built into the car is not capable of syncing up to the grid. So it's not going to happen until the Mk3, and even then there is no guarantee.

Tx for info. OnceV2G is available that should answer all those who question how the grid is going to cope. If all EVs are plugged in when not being used, that would balance the load, either by feeding the grid or soaking up excess power by storing it in their batteries, obviating the necessity to turn wind turbines off. It will happen.

(Slightly Off Topic) Personally, I think that cheaper home batteries (in particular solid state and non-Lithium chemistries) are going to come sooner and will have a bigger impact than V2G-capable cars will.

Taken the car camping, I've been running this electric cool box on full chat for the last 2 days, only taking it off at night. I've used 3% of my battery in that time! My car is lockable while discharging

Attachments

• 20230528_111721.jpg
    20230528_111721.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 94
(Slightly Off Topic) Personally, I think that cheaper home batteries (in particular solid state and non-Lithium chemistries) are going to come sooner and will have a bigger impact than V2G-capable cars will.

I think home batteries are a game changer, the Powerwall 2 has power cut provision built in, and is large enough capacity to run most houses base load plus a bit for several days. As you rightly say, a break through in battery chemistry to bring the price down would make a big difference - they are overpriced at present due mainly to demand!

Update: went to the pub came back to grab a beer from the cool box and realised that the fridge wasn't running.... the car had died!
I attached jump leads to the 12v battery and we were back in action.
The moral of the story is the 12v battery will drain if left discharging.

Update: went to the pub came back to grab a beer from the cool box and realised that the fridge wasn't running.... the car had died!
I attached jump leads to the 12v battery and we were back in action.
The moral of the story is the 12v battery will drain if left discharging.

If its the same as the MG ZS, the 12v isn't topped up by the HV battery when switched off and locked. I've found on my ZS that scanning the car from the app wakes it up and it temporarily boosts the 12v.

If its the same as the MG ZS, the 12v isn't topped up by the HV battery when switched off and locked. I've found on my ZS that scanning the car from the app wakes it up and it temporarily boosts the 12v.
So if you wake the car does it then fully charge the 12v battery or is it dependant on the car being live?
In other words, when the car is woken and it starts to charge the 12v does it need to stay live to achieve the recharge or will it continue if you then relock the car?
This is going to have a massive baring on how I manage my ability to discharge power from the car

So if you wake the car does it then fully charge the 12v battery or is it dependant on the car being live?
In other words, when the car is woken and it starts to charge the 12v does it need to stay live to achieve the recharge or will it continue if you then relock the car?
This is going to have a massive baring on how I manage my ability to discharge power from the car

I haven't tested it exhaustively, I just noted that waking the car will start 12v charging, and checked it over an afternoons use. Scanning from the app will give the 12v voltage, so its quick and easy to do.
It seems to carry on charging for a period after re locking, but this may be the same time that the car takes to fall asleep normally - about 10-15 minutes or so

Unless someone has done a more objective test, it may be worth monitoring the 12v battery over longer times, to get an idea of how much it loses and then how long it charges.

I haven't tested it exhaustively, I just noted that waking the car will start 12v charging, and checked it over an afternoons use. Scanning from the app will give the 12v voltage, so its quick and easy to do.
It seems to carry on charging for a period after re locking, but this may be the same time that the car takes to fall asleep normally - about 10-15 minutes or so

Unless someone has done a more objective test, it may be worth monitoring the 12v battery over longer times, to get an idea of how much it loses and then how long it charges.
Thanks for your input, I'm away again this weekend so I'll monitor it!
Also may pop into the local mg garage tomorrow and see if they have anything to add.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom