Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

Honest question for anybody that might know. This is regarding on getting a latest software update eg so you could using the V2L without it being switched on and havong the doors unlocked. Do you have to pay to have this done if its not done during an annual service. I've bought a V2L. I tried it out using a vacuum cleaner. If you turn the car off it does work for a bit. But after a while if you switch it back on it does not. Would the update solve thus? Although I think I read it might stay discharging as long as some is continually drawing a charge so perhaps you could keep a small light plugged on and in. I bough it for in addition to occasional use away from the house, any power cuts for a few hours that may occur. In such circumstances I could at least run power in the front room where we could 'camp' until the power cuts over.
My car went in for that update and was there all day and then they said there isn't an update and the system is meant to work only with the car on and unlocked 🤷‍♂️

It works just as good on twin but I normally just pull the uninsulated CPC wire that cuts straight through if not to cold

Arh ………. Well, we will not be having one of them at that price !.
How do they justify that, for what is effectively a type 2 plug, some electronics and a three pin socket outlet ???.
Some profiteering going on THERE !.
The electrics are only a resistor.

I bought one, though it has an European outlet, but that's easy to change.

EV cables sell one specially for the 2022 ZS.
Would the car blow a fuse, or worse if the non MG cable is used?

My car went in for that update and was there all day and then they said there isn't an update and the system is meant to work only with the car on and unlocked 🤷‍♂️
I specifically asked for this update (mentioned by @Miles Roberts CG) to be applied before I collected my new car a couple of weeks ago. I was also told by my dealership ‘there is no such update’. It doesn’t really matter to me that the car has to be on and unlocked, as I keep it in my garage, but I cannot understand how some owners have been able to use V2L with their car off, and others not.

but I cannot understand how some owners have been able to use V2L with their car off, and others not.
I think early cars you could but there was a problem flat 12v batterys I seam to remember it was found on a camping trip in the morning anyway easy fix let it only work in ready mode

@Susanna I found it
So first time using our new V2L cable on the campsite last night and awoke to a flat 12v battery.

It seems that with the V2L cable attached there is some form of drain on the 12v battery although I cannot work out what or why?!

The process we followed was:
  • car on, discharge screen set to 40% minimum and start discharging
  • car off and locked

Vehicle is a facelift ZS EV Trophy long range registered at the end of May.

Overnight we consumed about 1kwh of mains power (HV battery dropped by 1%) but 12v battery was reading 5.5v this morning.

AA had to be called as we had no way of jump starting but they did it successfully.

If this is a thing then it makes the V2L useless. Any ideas on why it would touch the 12v and how to stop it?
Screenshot_20221212-044222.png

So I think the update is the reverse only work in ready mode to keep 12-volt battery charged which was the original problem ?

Last edited:
@N2STY Thanks for finding the post. I can see the issue, especially if V2L is used over a relatively long period, even if the drain is low. Hopefully, the guys at MG will work out why, and fix it, so that cars can be successfully used for this purpose without leaving them vulnerable.

I suppose the car has to be on for the contactors to close and engage the traction battery, which in turn then charges the 12 volt battery. Probably entails a complete redesign of the electrical systems for it to work with the car off.

It’s all a bit impractical, to have to stand guard over your car, if you want to use the discharge function, when you are out and about ?.
If you can garage your car, our it in a secure place then it’s fine of course.
But for camping purposes etc it’s a bit of poor show really.
Having the car pulling a discharge, with the DRL’s on and it in READY mode and unlocked is chocolate fire guard moment !.
The MG4 has it set up right, why can’t they do the same on the ZS EV facelift ??.

Honest question for anybody that might know. This is regarding on getting a latest software update eg so you could using the V2L without it being switched on and havong the doors unlocked. Do you have to pay to have this done if its not done during an annual service. I've bought a V2L. I tried it out using a vacuum cleaner. If you turn the car off it does work for a bit. But after a while if you switch it back on it does not. Would the update solve thus? Although I think I read it might stay discharging as long as some is continually drawing a charge so perhaps you could keep a small light plugged on and in. I bough it for in addition to occasional use away from the house, any power cuts for a few hours that may occur. In such circumstances I could at least run power in the front room where we could 'camp' until the power cuts over.
I'm aware this is in the ZS Ev forum and my experience is with an MG4 but I set my display to "discharge" once there has been a few clunk, clicks I can close the door, lock the car and run V2L indefinitely... I think. I've certainly had it running a space heater fan for a few hours.

I've not tried the Mg5 yet.

[ Edit Coulomb: There are many other V2L threads, e.g. V2L, V2H, V2G - How does it work with MG EVs?, V2L - Useful?, DIY V2L, etc. Title-only search for V2L. ]

Does anyone know how to get hold of a Vehicle 2 Load (V2L) lead to use with the 2022 MG ZS EV Long Range? I am waiting on a response from MG UK but there doesn't seem to be much information available other than the fact the specification states the car has a Vehicle to Load capability at a maximum load of 2200 watts. The V2L capability is of little benefit unless you have a V2L cable to use it!
Ebay!!
£29 odd quid.
Works perfectly!
Here is the link.

It isn't pretty, but it is safe and well made. You will need a 13amp extension lead if you want your kettle or whatever away from the car.
I tried mine out with a kettle and absolutely no problems.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ebay!!
£29 odd quid.
Works perfectly!
Here is the link.

It isn't pretty, but it is safe and well made. You will need a 13amp extension lead if you want your kettle or whatever away from the car.
I tried mine out with a kettle and absolutely no problems.
I bought the same one. Great price, and works perfectly.

I don’t think anyone has seen the adapter yet here in the UK or in Europe. Don’t forget their aren’t many 2022 ZSEV cars here either.
I bought mine from a link on the internet ev casbles supplied it with the 32 amp socket.
1687964815255.png

It works just fine I am a trustee of our village windmill and it powers the internal lights on our open days.

I bought a cable on ebay, came with a double European outlet, replaced that with a 16A outlet, adapt to UK outlet, gives the ability, with the correct 16A plug to 16A outlet cable, to extend.

Works very well, used it to boil a couple of dozen kettles (3kw) in the middle of a field for an event.

Having said that about 1 time in 10 it fails, but trying again and success. Car always detects a discharge cable.

Think mine was about £75

Just bought this V2l works perfect for£23.99
I use it for charging my lipo batteries at the model flying club. I'm sure it's going to come in handy for all sorts of stuff like my electric Bbq, travel kettle etc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom