Video player on MG4 - where to get .mp4 videos from?

MartinSEsr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
As the title, I would like to have a film or two for times when stationary and waiting, by putting them on one of the USB sticks in USB 1 or 2. But where can I get some from?? Amazon Prime and Netflix unsurprisingly don't let you download the films, neither does youtube.

Where and how can I get some??

Thanks

well if anyone has any ideas, please message me directly. I've got subscriptions to apple tv, netflix and amazon, and can't get hold of a single movie to look at in the car.

My thought, and I think this is legal, is to upload a film you already own on DVD, and convert it to .mp4 on your computer.
Yes, I did this years ago for my kids. Ripped DVDs we owned into MP4 files on the computer, and put them onto a memory card so we didn't have to take lots of DVDs on long trips.

I have a DVD but I'd need a dvd player on the surface laptop, which it doesn't have, ripping software which I don't have, and many Gb free to store it I think. I guess the MG4 video play facility just never gets used!

A USB CD/DVD player to plug into the computer isn't hard to get. I don't know about storage requirements, but if you can get it on a USB stick the file sizes aren't going to be that huge. You'll want to keep them somewhere as well as use them in the car (in case the car stick gets corrupted) but just use another stick or an external hard drive. These things are as cheap as chips these days.

As the title, I would like to have a film or two for times when stationary and waiting, by putting them on one of the USB sticks in USB 1 or 2. But where can I get some from?? Amazon Prime and Netflix unsurprisingly don't let you download the films, neither does youtube.

Where and how can I get some??

Thanks
Download them from amazon prime onto your phone and play them from there over android auto

There are several apps that will not work natively with Android Auto ... Netflix and YouTube among them. So you do need additional hardware (or a software "hack", like Car Stream) to enable those features. ;)

There are several apps that will not work natively with Android Auto ... Netflix and YouTube among them. So you do need additional hardware (or a software "hack", like Car Stream) to enable those features. ;)
I have an Android AI box connected via USB cable to the car, and that allows use of Netflix and YouTube when stationary. I use the box to provide wireless Android Auto connectivity for my phone, and a WiFi hotspot for the kids, but you can use the box in it's own right for navigation, media playing, etc.

I downloaded carstream and Youtube works fine on Android auto, although the videos are small and I haven't worked out how to get it fullscreen yet.

I've always quite fancied watching YouTube on my car screen, but someone is going to tell me that isn't possible, I suppose.
Entirely possible with Android Auto, same with Amazon prime/Netflix films and your music collection.

A mobile phone and a USB cable

Entirely possible with Android Auto, same with Amazon prime/Netflix films and your music collection.

I'm still using my four-year-old phone that doesn't support Android Auto. Since finances have improved a little this month I really ought to go to the O2 shop and upgrade it.

I'm still using my four-year-old phone that doesn't support Android Auto. Since finances have improved a little this month I really ought to go to the O2 shop and upgrade it.
My last few phones have been bought via Amazon. (I buy unlocked, SIM free phones, and arrange my own mobile "contract" separately).

A mobile phone and a USB cable
You've just repeated exactly what I replied to - and which I'd already answered. Unless you use a software "hack" (e.g. Car Stream) then Android Auto will not show Netflix or YouTube on the car's screen.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back