Visiting France

Just had a quick look 👀, Wow, now that's what I call covered 👌
Look at it closely though because it is a mixture of ones that have opened and others that are planned or in construction. The bottom line is that 80% of French autoroute service stations have a working ultrarapid charging hub and that's expected to be 100% by September. Outside that, supermarkets such as Carrefour are also installing rapid hubs at pace.

Look at it closely though because it is a mixture of ones that have opened and others that are planned or in construction. The bottom line is that 80% of French autoroute service stations have a working ultrarapid charging hub and that's expected to be 100% by September. Outside that, supermarkets such as Carrefour are also installing rapid hubs at pace.
Still looks a pretty good work around 😉

Just check your car insurance cover for driving abroad.
My brother thought he'd got the same cover as he has in the UK as he'd asked for European cover. He'd been using the same company for a number of years and for some reason he looked closer at his policy this year and found he had only been covered third party in Europe. To rub salt into the wound it only cost a few pounds more to have full European comprehensive cover.

Question, does our AA cover to Europe? Our do you need additional cover?
Here's MG's page about MG Assist. Further links therein for details:

I was a bit stressed about charging in France. But I would now be confident using their charging network. I used a Chargemap RFID card and it worked very well. Although I didn’t use them, the Tesla supercharger network is also available using Chargemap

I was a bit stressed about charging in France. But I would now be confident using their charging network. I used a Chargemap RFID card and it worked very well. Although I didn’t use them, the Tesla supercharger network is also available using Chargemap
Note: you do still need the Tesla app to use the superchargers. You have to set up Chargemap as your payment method in the Tesla app, although not sure why you would do that unless you wanted to keep a record of your Tesla payments inside your Chargemap account.

EDF have just installed a 50kw charger at an Intermarche near me in Brive, a notice says its only for the supermarket customers, 1hr max stay , tow truck will remove non compliers , and to find the price contact their website even though it has a flash looking screen which does not give any pre charge info. On looking into this , you have to join their app, the price is 1.2 euro connection, 45 cents kw plus 12 cents a minute , seems overly complicated to me.
On the good side its only 2km from the A20 but I really cannot see any locals using it and the restriction imposed on the passing trade makes it an unattractive prospect so I cannot see the business sense in its installation. I do not know how many more chargers in France are like this ( I think they are getting massive grants for installation ) but when you see a map with France full of chargers all is not what it seems.
Oh! it was not working! according to the app.

EDF have just installed a 50kw charger at an Intermarche near me in Brive, a notice says its only for the supermarket customers, 1hr max stay , tow truck will remove non compliers , and to find the price contact their website even though it has a flash looking screen which does not give any pre charge info. On looking into this , you have to join their app, the price is 1.2 euro connection, 45 cents kw plus 12 cents a minute , seems overly complicated to me.
On the good side its only 2km from the A20 but I really cannot see any locals using it and the restriction imposed on the passing trade makes it an unattractive prospect so I cannot see the business sense in its installation. I do not know how many more chargers in France are like this ( I think they are getting massive grants for installation ) but when you see a map with France full of chargers all is not what it seems.
Oh! it was not working! according to the app.
I have an Izivia RFID, which is managed by EDF (and also a Mobive card which shares Izivia's billing system). Does this web site, which you quote, mention using these RFID cards?

Possibly , I was just looking at it trying to figure it out. It probably did say to get a card , although looking at freshmiles site it is available through them ,(at a cheaper rate ) . I do not get my car for another 8 weeks so I ,m still trying to figure it out , a bit of a minefield for my small brain. It all appears to be uncoordinated. Most of my mileage will be within range from charging at home but I am still working out the best options for longer journeys.

Possibly , I was just looking at it trying to figure it out. It probably did say to get a card , although looking at freshmiles site it is available through them ,(at a cheaper rate ) . I do not get my car for another 8 weeks so I ,m still trying to figure it out , a bit of a minefield for my small brain. It all appears to be uncoordinated. Most of my mileage will be within range from charging at home but I am still working out the best options for longer journeys.
Looking at Chargemap, plenty of 40kwh around. Link to Tesla from Chargemap cards for non-tesla cars is easy

EDF have just installed a 50kw charger at an Intermarche near me in Brive, a notice says its only for the supermarket customers, 1hr max stay

How do they know that you are or are not a customer? Do you have to let reception know, or what? Either way I suspect there is no minimum spend and nipping in and buying nibbles for the journey, some charcuterie and a few rolls is probably going to be enough?

As an observation from someone who has been planning for a while to pootle off to old haunts in Italy I've noticed a distinct improvement in charging opportunities even over the last year. As I'm not French the old Bison Fute' advice doesn't normally apply! :)

Don,t know, I suspect it,s there to appease the supermarket, the mentality of it is just not appealing especially for someone like yourself who wants to enjoy a holiday without being hassled by some draconian signage.

It does appear that Europe is ahead of the UK, so although I'd be slightly apprehensive, you should be fine – personally I’d just use tesla & bonnet – both of which have never caused any issue to date in the UK (i.e. just worked & had availability on arrival)

I have also discovered that I need UK stickers on my car reg plates for visiting France. I don’t mind because I think they look good, just a shame that they don’t quite cover the green stripe completely.
Problem solved - you can get green UK stickers!

Attachments

• Green UK stickers.JPG
    Green UK stickers.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 44

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member