Volvo EX30 launched

Deleted member 10041

Reaction score
Basic model £33795, 18 inch alloys, Harman Kardon, loads of safety kit, heated seats etc.

Basic model 5.7 secs 0-60, 214 mile range.

Long range 5.3 secs, 298 range £38545

Twin motor 3.6 secs 286 range £40995

Looks decent and already undercutting Borns, Meganes etc, does look slightly smaller but looks really premium (if you like small SUV's)

Good to see more competition

Basic model £33795, 18 inch alloys, Harman Kardon, loads of safety kit, heated seats etc.

Basic model 5.7 secs 0-60, 214 mile range.

Long range 5.3 secs, 298 range £38545

Twin motor 3.6 secs 286 range £40995

Looks decent and already undercutting Borns, Meganes etc, does look slightly smaller but looks really premium (if you like small SUV's)

Good to see more competition
Could knock the MG ZS into the long grass.

Could knock the MG ZS into the long grass.
The long range at 38.5k doesn't have electric adjustable seats or 360 cameras, has some things the MG has, some it doesn't, need to up it to 42k plus for the LR to get all the goodies, and there's lots.

The long range at 38.5k doesn't have electric adjustable seats or 360 cameras, has some things the MG has, some it doesn't, need to up it to 42k plus for the LR to get all the goodies, and there's lots.
What would you prefer the quality of the £38k Volvo (made in China I guess) , or a 360 degree camera and £35 ZS or slightly cheaper MG4? .
If I was purchasing again I know what I would go for.

Time for another poll I think 🤣

It's got enough goodies, better quality inside and out, the soundbar is supposed to be outstanding. The range is better, 0-60 far better.
Smaller though and a smaller boot

The EX30 will be produced in the Zhangjiakou plant in China - which is operated by Geely, Volvo's controlling shareholder.

But the polestar is also Chinese built, but hat’s not cheap!!!
Confirming that this is a different market place now. MG helped start the process. VW and Tesla up for the challenge . Used Polestar prices heading south at a rate of knots.

Last edited:
But the polestar is also Chinese built, but hat’s not cheap!!!
Same company. Polestar is a Swedish automotive brand established in 1996 by Volvo Cars' partner Flash/Polestar Racing and acquired in 2015 by Volvo, which itself was acquired by Geely in 2010. It is headquartered in Torslanda outside Gothenburg, Sweden. Vehicles are produced in China.
I guess it's Volvo's equivalent of BMW's M series

Same company. Polestar is a Swedish automotive brand established in 1996 by Volvo Cars' partner Flash/Polestar Racing and acquired in 2015 by Volvo, which itself was acquired by Geely in 2010. It is headquartered in Torslanda outside Gothenburg, Sweden. Vehicles are produced in China.
I guess it's Volvo's equivalent of BMW's M series
I think that's DB's point. When the dual motor EV30 0-60 is 3.3 seconds where does that leave Polestar? 71 plate Polestar can only be worth low £20k's when the EV30 starts arriving

Last edited:
It's got enough goodies, better quality inside and out, the soundbar is supposed to be outstanding. The range is better, 0-60 far better.
Smaller though and a smaller boot
I have never found the inside of a travelling car the most ideal place for audiophile equipment, so for me whatever comes with the car is fine, I'm usually concentrating on other things rather than the music anyway.
My music stuff was always reserved for the more controlled conditions of my house that didn't suffer from varying amounts of road noise, wind noise, traffic and passenger noise etc. etc. :)

I think that's DB's point. When the dual motor EV30 0-60 is 3.3 seconds where does that leave Polestar?
Thinking back to ICE vehicles, who could afford one that did 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, and now with EVs it's almost the norm, although I'm more happy with the 7-8 second 0-60.....who needs 3.3

What would you prefer the quality of the £38k Volvo (made in China I guess) , or a 360 degree camera and £35 ZS or slightly cheaper MG4? .
If I was purchasing again I know what I would go for.

Time for another poll I think 🤣
First set of MG cars targeted value segment especially people who want more for less. Of course it means they have to use not the most advanced tech in all areas. While they have good drive train, battery and rapid charging the cost savings is evident in LKA, reverse camera, steering rack, ABS and a few areas of the trim.
I think SAIC can build cars which can compete with Swedish, German manufacturers. But they will find it hard to sell these cars in European markets. Down the line they will try and improve the branding, eventually rolling out premium segment cars.

Long story short, manufacturer origin (china, Sweden, Germany, Korea or Japan) mattered in the past because tech was locked up in geographies. Now, it is more widely accessible and hence we should probably assess each car's individual merits and not based on its origin.

I have never found the inside of a travelling car the most ideal place for audiophile equipment, so for me whatever comes with the car is fine, I'm usually concentrating on other things rather than the music anyway.
My music stuff was always reserved for the more controlled conditions of my house that didn't suffer from varying amounts of road noise, wind noise, traffic and passenger noise etc. etc. :)

I'm finding though that the absence of engine noise in the MG4 has improved my listening experience significantly.

Polar opposite for me, don’t get the chance to listen to music at home so like a good car stereo.

First set of MG cars targeted value segment especially people who want more for less. Of course it means they have to use not the most advanced tech in all areas. While they have good drive train, battery and rapid charging the cost savings is evident in LKA, reverse camera, steering rack, ABS and a few areas of the trim.
I think SAIC can build cars which can compete with Swedish, German manufacturers. But they will find it hard to sell these cars in European markets. Down the line they will try and improve the branding, eventually rolling out premium segment cars.

Long story short, manufacturer origin (china, Sweden, Germany, Korea or Japan) mattered in the past because tech was locked up in geographies. Now, it is more widely accessible and hence we should probably assess each car's individual merits and not based on its origin.

Yup, where it’s built isn’t important, how it’s built is.
I’d suggest Volvo’s expectations of build quality and procedures for meeting them are far better than MGs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom