Warning Chimes with no visual clue

Loveclose

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I love the MG4's chime.... serenades me when I start the car..... when there's a speed camera 10 yds ahead.... when there's a school zone ahead..... and so on. In each of these cases, I can see why the chime had occurred.

However, there is a least one occasion on every other journey when the chime resonates in the cabin, and I have no clue why.
Is it a proximity warning stating that my wife is getting close to discovering all my hidden piano extras at home?
Our is there another suspect?
Haven't seen the hyper sensitive tyre pressure warning yet......
It's a mystery.....

I get this too .... has had me puzzled on a few occasions. I thought it might be a change in speed limit but no, not always 🤷‍♂️. I use CarPlay so not the inbuilt SatNav for me.

I get this too .... has had me puzzled on a few occasions. I thought it might be a change in speed limit but no, not always 🤷‍♂️. I use CarPlay so not the inbuilt SatNav for me.
Doesn't feel like it's a Sat Nav warning.
Hope I find it before the PCP ends....

I find because the boot order is different every time you start the car it is not always easy to track things down. Sometimes I will get the personalised greeting before the centre screen has loaded the A/C display, other times no greeting at all.

Do you get this mystery bong at the same point in the boot sequence or does it change when it happens?

The mystery bong doesn't happen at start up..... it happens indiscriminately during a drive.

I'm too used to leaving keys in my pocket, and opening the doors without the key fob....!!

This happens to me as well on one particular road, If I turn left onto this normal residential road it bongs and then when I come back the other way (about 100m to the now right hand turn) it bongs again. Just a normal road with houses on, no road signs or anything and also no message on drivers display or on Sat Nav screen when I have tried it with sat nav running.

It happens to me when I have the dog in the car on the back seat. Unless the two outer seatbelts are plugged in, whenever the dog moves to one side and puts weight on the seat, the car assumes that there's someone in the back seat not wearing a seat belt and "bongs". Took me ages to find that out!!

Proximity to a white line warning?
Don't think so.... that from my chair is the single note beep...
This is the multi textured dissonant MG4 chime!!

It happens to me when I have the dog in the car on the back seat. Unless the two outer seatbelts are plugged in, whenever the dog moves to one side and puts weight on the seat, the car assumes that there's someone in the back seat not wearing a seat belt and "bongs". Took me ages to find that out!!
For a while, you had me thinking. It happened tonight on the way home with one passenger alone in the back...... but then I realised that's its happened when I've been the only one in the car.....

Yes, mines a chime not a bong. I don't use the Satnav and have LKA turned off.

I can literally be just driving on a straight road and I get a little chime with no speed limit change, no LKA, no passengers, no SatNav and no message pops up either 🤷‍♂️. I do have speed recognition on though so often think it may be that.

I can't say it bothers me as it's very infrequent and just a quiet chime but I'd love to know what it's for as the car gives no clue !

I had a new one today with a few short beeps from above, the sos phone thing was red and the interior light was on low. Went green again after a few seconds and light went off.

I had an unknown warning sound.

Turned out it was the dog moving around on the back seats, setting off the 'occupant without seatbelt' warning.

Symbol flashed up so briefly that I didn't see what it was for quite some time.

Plugged in all the seatbelts and it doesn't happen anymore.

If it's a Trophy I think it is something to do with the driver awareness system. They removed the sensor above the steering column but I think it could be that the software still pings a warning every now and then but because the system was disabled it doesn't associate it to a specific message.Does it on my Trophy.

That's probably a brief loss of mobile reception (by the car's eSIM connection).
I am sure that’s what it was as well, threw me a bit at first until I spotted it being red. Strange that the interior light came on low at the same time but must have made sense to someone. Would have been easy to miss though and think it was just a ‘random noise’.

I have a vague suspicion it’s related to the auto headlights/light sensor in some way. I am not 100% but I think it only happens in dawn/dusk/low light situations:

Trouble is when it happens, you’re never in a position to actually note it down so you’re left relying on faulty memory to try and piece together the clues.

Does yours also stop any android auto you have playing?
Just discovered mine does...

I always thought it was a speed camera or school on the inbuilt sat nav.
Im sure it it is different 'bong' to when the dog moves around on the backseat.

There maybe something in the mobile reception loss theory.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back