Warning Chimes with no visual clue

Does yours also stop any android auto you have playing?
No, it just bongs over the top of everything, I use Carplay so might be different though.

There maybe something in the mobile reception loss theory.
I'm pretty confident it isn't this, as you normally get the "SOS System Warning/Failure" (or whatever it is) amber message pop up on the display when this happens. Only ever seen this in rural settings so seems to make sense that it's loss of mobile reception.

I've just learnt to ignore all the random chimes with no error message. To be fair some friends with other makes say they get mystery warning sounds with no idea what they are as well.

Problem is if cars alarm for every little thing everyone starts ignoring them and when you get something that you should maybe take notice of you ignore that as well.

i get a very pleasant chime when it's cold, reminding me that there are possible icy roads. It's a very quick warning, and the words are gone almost instantly. Could it be that? It is a bit keen, sounding whenever it's 4°C or below.

If the inbuilt satnav is active or running in the background I get subtle chime when coming up to roadworks or traffic hazards.

I get this too. Always in the same places, different times of day, no message, no other passengers, don't use the inbuilt sat-nav and have turned off all sat-nav alerts just in case. Turned off all the radio alerts, traffic/weather etc.

Really don't understand it but find it pretty amusing.

Mine mysteriously gave 3 bongs as I got out of it today, nothing on the dash, no lights left on or anything. It was reminiscent of the warning I used to get with the ZS when I got out with it left switched on.
:unsure:

Mine mysteriously gave 3 bongs as I got out of it today, nothing on the dash, no lights left on or anything. It was reminiscent of the warning I used to get with the ZS when I got out with it left switched on.
:unsure:
Were you parked on the road, with traffic coming up behind you?
The MG4 keeps the blind spot warning going as you open the door.

Proximity to a white line warning?
That's a beep, not the chinese gong.

I get this too. Always in the same places, different times of day, no message, no other passengers, don't use the inbuilt sat-nav and have turned off all sat-nav alerts just in case. Turned off all the radio alerts, traffic/weather etc.

Really don't understand it but find it pretty amusing.
If I'm on my way to work in the morning, after about 17 km's there is bong. Even if there is nothing in the vicinity. Then at double the distance, just before a bridge, he's there again. I have not seen a root cause of it but I suspect it is something electronic along side the road.
It also happens ocasionally on other locations but if I know there is nothing weird outside and there is nothing red colored on the dash, I simply ignore it.
Same happens with ELK high sensitivity mode. Driving in the middle of the lane, it suddenly can pull the wheel (slightly). Doesn't happen in LDA mode, so my conclusion is that the side cameras are too sensitive.

I had this on my ZS EV. It turned out to be a warning that the speed limit had changed. There may be a related setting. Now that I know what it means, I find it useful and it doesn't bother me.

I had this on my ZS EV. It turned out to be a warning that the speed limit had changed. There may be a related setting. Now that I know what it means, I find it useful and it doesn't bother me.
I wish that was it. Max speed is always the same. And I always disable the sign system because it is plain wrong 95% of the time.

Last edited:
Do these phantom chimes happen near speed cameras? There is a setting in the sat-nav to turn various warnings on and off.

Do these phantom chimes happen near speed cameras? There is a setting in the sat-nav to turn various warnings on and off.
I do not use navi at those points of the highway. So I guess that can't be it.
I do not recall there is specific option for speed cameras either. I will check this.

Oh. For me, it's right 98% of the time, and is rally useful.
Just an example. Speed limit during the day is 100 km/h (7-7). It often shows 120 km/h, which is the max. speed during the remainder of the day. MG must have a deal with the Finance Department....

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel