Waterproof cover/shelter

Kimber1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I know that wall chargers are protected from the weather but as anyone got or having a cover or shelter built to help stop the rain or maybe snow (at some point) to protect.

I put a metal hose tidy above my home charger..... Helps protect the charger plus used to keep the cable sorted.

Got me thinking now about putting covers on electrical stuff outside.

Perhaps my door bell or the outside light may need a cover, or maybe the security cameras or flippin heck what about the car I don't have a garage!

Edit:... panic over, just checked, they were made to be used outdoors. :)

I always position the unit just inside the garage, by the door. This gives me flexibility to charge outside or inside (if I ever get it cleared) the garage. Bit more difficult for those of a sticky fingered nature to swipe the cable.

I know that wall chargers are protected from the weather but as anyone got or having a cover or shelter built to help stop the rain or maybe snow (at some point) to protect.
They are IP54
An IP54 rating means that your product will be protected against contamination from limited amounts of dust and other particles. Additionally, you can be confident that it will be protected from water sprays from all directions.

My wall box has the life of a king 🤴 really.
It is installed just inside of our garage and therefore protected from the elements of the bad weather, the tethered cable passes outside, under the rubber weather seal of the garage door and plugs straight into car.
I was lucky enough not to have it installed on the front of my house.
There not the nicest thing in the world to look at really 😞.
If it absolutely had to to be fitted outside and was facing the prevailing wind and rain, then yes I would consider having a weather proof box fitted.

There was a thread about this were someone had made a roof over their EVSE and someone else had made an enclosure for one.
What about this idea 💡.
Any good ?.

52B9B817-D385-4E14-A615-2C35B858FEF9.jpeg

2413CB02-9DB0-4E6C-BBC5-C9C95940A6AE.jpeg

I had my wall charger fitted in the porch by the front door - keeps it out of the rain, and I don't have to watch out when I'm watering the hanging baskets. Though not everyone will have a porch.

Absolutely love that idea
He is a few more 💡 👍.
From a basic cover bag to the more expensive types of enclosure.
They vary in size so worth checking out.
You could even consider using a stand-off lockable meter box enclosure if you have the space ?.
It could house the wall box and the charging lead I would think 🤔.

Here is a link that gives you the different size boxes in the last photo.

4BBEC1D0-6B0B-4008-99D9-88CAB24CF871.jpeg

E89D01A3-587C-4887-AC6B-7ADFCB1556A5.jpeg

5F72D4CC-7AF6-467E-85DB-BCB4B6C0E2C5.jpeg

99C4DC60-8ACA-456D-8FA1-D01C9447367A.jpeg

Attachments

• A95F53C6-7D1B-4B97-96DA-1DF58F885DCD.jpeg
    A95F53C6-7D1B-4B97-96DA-1DF58F885DCD.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 50
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom