Weird Issue with Zappi V2 and Ocopus Intelligent Go

robertb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
So for the past two nights, my OIG charge schedules have been kinda messed up.
When I plug the car in it does the usual waiting for surplus thingy in Eco+ mode. When the charge schedule starts, the Zappi starts charging then stops saying "waiting for surplus" then kicks in again momentarily then drops again. It does this continually all night until the end of the schedule leaving the car largely uncharged.
During the day, it just sits at "Waiting for surplus" as expected.
I've tried rebooting the Zappi but it still does it. Has anyone else had this issue? The car doesn't seem to be complaining about anything so I guess it's OK.

UPDATE
The car charges fine when I use the Zappi charger without the Octopus app schedule.
If I set it to Fast the car charges absolutely fine. It charged to 100% no problem so I guess it's an Octopus issue. I've raised it with them so I'll await their response.

Last edited:
I had the car set-up to charge (Octopus and Zappi) on Saturday night and it didn't start at all. I tried again Sunday evening but after some manual messing about it would only charge at 1.5 kW.

I'll go and try Fast charging manually.

Update
The car does charge at the full 7 kW - but it took a couple of goes from inside the car to get charging to start. Not sure what happened last night, I guess I'll try again tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always make sure that the Zappi is set on Eco++ and it seems to work fine on my early 53 kWh MG5? and Zappi2 (this is what Myenergi told me when I had charging problems)

The only time I had a failure charging was when I forgot and left the Zappi at stop! and not Eco++

It may be worth a quick test using the boost function on the Octopus Go app
Usually it will say failure to connect for the first few attempts but eventually it will connect. (the lcd display on the Zappi2 will clearly show what is going on) I find the Octopus app take a bit of time to confirm the connection is made. Hence my comment to look at the actual Zappi lcd display.
The connection usually does not make until the "handshake" between the Car and the Zappi is made which I think happens after about 23 sec ??

Sorry if you get a bit wet looking at the display.

One other note if your Zappi 2 is in the direct sunlight and you are trying to charge using solar power the communications to the harvi or eddie can get a bit upset. I only use the ethernet option which sorts the problem (something to do with the redesigned zappi2 comms getting too hot? )

Also if your Zappi 2 gets too hot in the sun it will cut down the power capability from 7.1 kW down to 3.2 kW or in extreme cases about 1.4 kW . (This can be annoying as it will always coincide with the time when you are generating lots of solar power.)
My solution has been to build a sunshade for the unit and to cover the black trim with white tape/paint. The modification has resolved the problem. Unfortunately the are no warnings about this problem in the installation instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info, I'll make sure it's on Eco++ tonight and try again.

I'm usually charging after 23:00, so hopefully the heat issue is not something i should have to worry about although the Zappi is in full sunlight in the afternoon. I do have solar but normally use any excess to heat the hot tub :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom