What’s Your Average Monthly Mileage?

wow that's a lot of miles. How's the car holding up, trim rattles tyre wear etc. what have the servicing costs been like. It should be interesting info for those of us who intend to hold on to our cars for a few years.
Yeah, it’s probably a mix of 70/30% A1/B roads so not all motorway mileage so gets quite a mixed use (& wear). It’s holding up very well tbh, no rattles or issues apart from the diff oil leak (sorted on day 2 with breather kit)

The only concern I have with higher mileage is the diff so I change the diff oil myself roughly every 20k (documented this on the oil leak thread as it’s very burnt/filthy by then), servicing has been very cheap every 15k if you shop around as the 2 dealers near me have very different pricing but as my warranty runs out at 60k (taxi) I will just maintain it myself as I like tinkering & don’t really trust anyone else to fill the diff to the correct level tbh (due at 60k), but there’s not a lot to do really as we know & half the checks / lubrication ticks etc. don’t actually get done I’ve found in my experience.

Tyres were changed at 6k to Crossclimate 2’s which were a massive improvement, I had these changed at 38k (still with 2/3mm left) to the Good year equivalent (vector gen 3’s) which are also brilliant and seem to be wearing even better, mentioned these in abit more detail in the tyre thread.

Been through a couple of sets of Bosch wipers which are a massive improvement over the SAIC ones too! Hopefully a few more miles of happy cheap motoring to go!

I'm guessing it's(the taxi) single shifted? Used to clock up 100,000miles annually, city based, double shifted.
It’s literally just school transport I do, all driven by me, x2 3.5 hour morning / afternoon stints so I’m able to charge at home in-between, yeah roughly 50k a year, it’s only seen a DC Rapid charger (Tesla) once.

Last edited:
How many miles do you roughly do with your MG4?

I’ve recently moved work offices to somewhere that’s 2 miles away & a very walkable route, so I’ve been able to cut out my morning commute - and car park charges! (Usually £7 per day).

Since I’ve owned my MG4 for about 5-6 weeks now, I’ve covered about 190 miles.

A lot lower than my peak of 2,200 miles per month in my previous car (commute and personal journeys).

What’s your current total mileage, length of ownership & average monthly miles?
I am on around 1,500 per month, had the nearly 2 months.

About 1500 miles a month and I wouldnt dream of having an EV just to toddle down to the shops. You have to do the mileage and charge at home if you are to realise a saving over an ICE, as well as swallowing the hassle you get with these cars.

If you have an unlimited wallet or want an EV for other reasons I would be getting a Tesla or something better built with less hassle.

The bracket for these cars (economically) is surely only those doing 15k+ miles per year, and who are on the cusp of an EV budget.

6,200 miles @ 9 months old, averageing 688 ,expecting this to reduce slightly now retirement has kicked in, with only a 25 mile round trip to the golf club about 3 times a week.

About 1500 miles a month and I wouldnt dream of having an EV just to toddle down to the shops. You have to do the mileage and charge at home if you are to realise a saving over an ICE, as well as swallowing the hassle you get with these cars.

If you have an unlimited wallet or want an EV for other reasons I would be getting a Tesla or something better built with less hassle.

The bracket for these cars (economically) is surely only those doing 15k+ miles per year, and who are on the cusp of an EV budget.

I don't understand,

I feel its far better to do the mileage, even as little as I have, in this car, than say, any other premium new car.

It's barely more expensive that my previous top spec hatchback, to own, when looking at monthly costs, insurance but also that its zero tax too.

However, fuel prices are far cheaper, £60 in petrol would get me 300-320 miles.

This is like £5 electricity during off peak home charging, and gets 150-200 miles.

So the increase in monthly + insurance, is easily offset by far cheaper fuel costs.

A new performance Tesla requires a much bigger deposit and also a far higher monthly, as well as double the insurance (for me anyway).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back