What a difference a Season makes!!

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We have need to drive through to Aberdeen from Inverness (fully Nicola compliant!!) on a pretty regular basis, and in the summer months this fell into a very agreeable routine.

We would set off to complete the 105 mile trip with a full charge, but normally stop at Inverurie (88 miles away) and get a top up rapid charge there.

We would then do all that we need to do in Aberdeen, head back to Inverness and either have another top up at Inverurie or Elgin (40 miles from home). It works great, no problems.

Yesterday - with a temperature that hit minus 1 at one stage, thus requiring the heater both for comfort and to keep the windscreen clear, a damp day which called upon use of the windscreen wipers and wash and then, as it gets dark a little after 4.00 p.m., we needed our headlights on.

OMG!! What a difference.

We had the usual top up at Inverurie, so should have had a range of 128 miles approx., but had to stop off at Nairn (18 miles from home with only 14 miles left, thus only travelling 74 miles!!

NEEDLESS TO SAY - ALMOST FREEZING CONDITIONS - THE RAPID CHARGER WOULDN'T WORK!!! So a 40 minute top up on the fast charge and we got home with less than 10 miles i.e. - - - showing!!

Sorry, but until the clocks change, any journeys of over 85 miles will now be in our wee Citroen ICE vehicle!!! I feel I've let you down!!

Was this in an Excite or Exclusive? I ask as I’ve seen it suggested that using the heated seats (in the Exclusive) is more efficient that using the aircon

As an aside was the rapid charger broken or not working due to the low temp or was it low temp on the car battery that meant rapid charging wouldn’t work?

@AussiePete
I've got an Exclusive. Yep, I used the heated seats today, but not sure if they're good for a long journey.

I have a terrible record with Rapid Chargers (as I've mentioned in previous threads) with an issue that the charger seems to retain where the previous vehicle left off e.g. 97% and doesn't see my registering, but just kicks me off!! Soooooo frustrating!!!

Must admit that I am another EV owner, who keeps an ICE just in case. Only just acquired the MG, so no criticism there, and I don't have any experience of really cold weather.

But having driven an EV for the last 4 years, I think the Charging network is a real man made own goal. Several different connectors *i*ses me off, and the reliability of the network is dire. I still can't get my head around arriving at a charging point and finding it out of order, certainly here is West Wales. Looking for another nearby charger is very often not an option. Things are going to have to improve by several 100% to persuade Joe Blogs to change.............:-(

Last edited:
Must admit that I am another EV owner, who keeps an ICE just in case. Only just acquired the MG, so no criticism there, and I don't have any experience of really cold weather.

But having driven an EV for the last 4 years, I think the Charging network is a real man made own goal. Several different connectors *i*ses me off, and the reliability of the network is dire. I still can't get my head around arriving at a charging point and finding it out of order, certainly here is West Wales. Looking for another nearby charger is very often not an option. Things are going to have to improve by several 100% to persuade Joe Blogs to change.............:-(
Agree. My opinion on the state of the UK charging infrastructure at the start of 2019.

Is this the sort of thing the battery heater update mentioned on this forum might help, or is the cold weather issue down to the charger?

Don't see any problem there, range is increasing yearly and will be vastly higher than today by then. Charging infrastructure and availability will also be much better.
I agree with this, too. Since my video in January 2019, there a ton more chargers, notably Polars near motorway junctions. But the most urgent need at the moment is to create way more reliable 100+ kw CCS chargers in all motorway service stations (and A road services). At least half a dozen in all motorway stops right now.

Maybe slightly off topic, but what Miles per Kw do people average in November ? I was a little disappointed to get 2.9 I used to get 3.9 -4.1 in my Leaf. I don't think I've changed my driving style.

And to think we’re all supposed to be driving EVs in nine years time!
I have been driving an EV for four and a half years without a home charger. I have only had one failure so far. We are very well provided in Orkney. I must admit I get a little nervous when I have to leave the island. My only failure was in Tain on a charger I have used many times before.

One thing to be mindful of with the miles per kWh is that the car starts recording from when you start it to when you fully turn it off. So for example if you pre-heat it in your garage for 10 minutes that is pure kW for 0 miles, same if you are powered on during a charging session.

That said, the shape and aero is not the friend of the ZS. Even doing 70 on MG pilot, with the heating on the whole time I did 76 miles distance for 75% battery used up yesterday (this was a worst case run, my whole joruney was exlusively on motorways bar 1 mile of joining and getting off at each side), which suggests around 100 miles of absolute range when doing a 70 mile motorway run with the heating on or 2.35 miles per kWh. I could have driven a bit slower and mopped my windows instead of keeping them mist free but I knew I was in the range of the car, plus when it cost 5p per kWh to re-charge it at home, I'm not going to eek out a better efficiency when we are literally talking pence for comfort.

One thing to be mindful of with the miles per kWh is that the car starts recording from when you start it to when you fully turn it off. So for example if you pre-heat it in your garage for 10 minutes that is pure kW for 0 miles, same if you are powered on during a charging session.

That said, the shape and aero is not the friend of the ZS. Even doing 70 on MG pilot, with the heating on the whole time I did 76 miles distance for 75% battery used up yesterday (this was a worst case run, my whole joruney was exlusively on motorways bar 1 mile of joining and getting off at each side), which suggests around 100 miles of absolute range when doing a 70 mile motorway run with the heating on or 2.35 miles per kWh. I could have driven a bit slower and mopped my windows instead of keeping them mist free but I knew I was in the range of the car, plus when it cost 5p per kWh to re-charge it at home, I'm not going to eek out a better efficiency when we are literally talking pence for comfort.
Yes I suppose I have been "Playing" quite a lot with all the bells and whistles. The limit in Orkney is 60mph, we don't have any motorways. Nevertheless, I love the MG. the only hiccup we have had is a "Forward camera blocked" warning. which seems to be cause by the low Winter sun in this part of the world. ( Checked on another forum and dealer) just thought i would mention that in case anyone else has this problem.It must be lens glare.

Yes I suppose I have been "Playing" quite a lot with all the bells and whistles. The limit in Orkney is 60mph, we don't have any motorways. Nevertheless, I love the MG. the only hiccup we have had is a "Forward camera blocked" warning. which seems to be cause by the low Winter sun in this part of the world. ( Checked on another forum and dealer) just thought i would mention that in case anyone else has this problem.It must be lens glare.
I experienced that recently in west Wales when driving into very bright low sun, as soon as the sun moved the forward camera was fine again.

We have need to drive through to Aberdeen from Inverness (fully Nicola compliant!!) on a pretty regular basis, and in the summer months this fell into a very agreeable routine.

We would set off to complete the 105 mile trip with a full charge, but normally stop at Inverurie (88 miles away) and get a top up rapid charge there.

We would then do all that we need to do in Aberdeen, head back to Inverness and either have another top up at Inverurie or Elgin (40 miles from home). It works great, no problems.

Yesterday - with a temperature that hit minus 1 at one stage, thus requiring the heater both for comfort and to keep the windscreen clear, a damp day which called upon use of the windscreen wipers and wash and then, as it gets dark a little after 4.00 p.m., we needed our headlights on.

OMG!! What a difference.

We had the usual top up at Inverurie, so should have had a range of 128 miles approx., but had to stop off at Nairn (18 miles from home with only 14 miles left, thus only travelling 74 miles!!

NEEDLESS TO SAY - ALMOST FREEZING CONDITIONS - THE RAPID CHARGER WOULDN'T WORK!!! So a 40 minute top up on the fast charge and we got home with less than 10 miles i.e. - - - showing!!

Sorry, but until the clocks change, any journeys of over 85 miles will now be in our wee Citroen ICE vehicle!!! I feel I've let you down!!
I have found a similar issue on the fast chargers in Inverurie car park, the ones at the front section of the car park always seem to have issues on fast charge whilst the ones to the rear of the car park seem to work fine on our car, don’t know why???

Maybe slightly off topic, but what Miles per Kw do people average in November ? I was a little disappointed to get 2.9 I used to get 3.9 -4.1 in my Leaf. I don't think I've changed my driving style.
I have tended to be around the 3.9 most of the time but can be as low as 3.2 lately probably more to do with temp probably.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom