What are peoples experiences when using a granny charger?

Gstathers

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Using mine to charge the zs whilst waiting on home charger install. It is really temperamental, sometimes works first time. Sometimes I get the whizz whizz and "connected but not charging"
What are everyone's thoughts?

No issues with the granny EVSE when used before my Ohme was installed.
Are you using it on a good quality 13A extension cable or a newly installed outside socket?

Any chance you have data over the mains in your house, or a neighbouring house. The data can affect the EVSE.

I'm currently charging just with a granny cable with no issues. It's 16A - so I'm getting around 3Kw and I watched it carefully to start with. We have powerline extenders and they cause no issues. Maybe when we get a smart charger that might change.
The socket is a within a few feet of the distribution board and there are only a few sockets in each run - so though it's not brand new it had the best chance - so far so good. 😊

I got my ZS EV in 2020 & have had no problems charging with the granny charger, I have an adjustable Fenkee 7kw charger that can charge at 10,16,20,24,32 Amps but only use the 10A setting for the majority of the time as we don't use the car every day.

The other tests are:
  1. Someone else's granny charger at your house
  2. Your granny charger at someone else's house
  3. Your granny charger on someone else's car
Once you've tried that you should be able to identify where the problem sits. However.... as it's intermittent.... ..... .... have fun!!

It will be because you are using an extension lead (from my experience) mine charges fine charger plugged in to the socket in the garage. The rare times I’ve tried to use an extension to save swapping cars on drive it cuts out after varying short time periods.

I’m 99% sure our user manual states not to use an extension. Hope this helps

Any chance you have data over the mains in your house, or a neighbouring house. The data can affect the EVSE.
Do you mean like the use of WiFi extenders through the mains?
If yes, would this effect the home fast charger too?
I do use network extender for my CCTV but I don't yet have the car to test it... Not until sometime in July... hopefully.

Do you mean like the use of WiFi extenders through the mains?
If yes, would this effect the home fast charger too?
I do use network extender for my CCTV but I don't yet have the car to test it... Not until sometime in July... hopefully.
I use power line extenders for WiFi. (Devolo brand) and they cause no problems with my Hypervolt 7kW charger or granny charger. I agree with others that folk should get an electrician to check their mains circuit and ask them to recommend the best way to get a supply close enough to the car as some so-called 13A extensions are not good enough. It depends on the thickness (or more correctly the cross sectional area) of the conductors.

Using mine to charge the zs whilst waiting on home charger install. It is really temperamental, sometimes works first time. Sometimes I get the whizz whizz and "connected but not charging"
What are everyone's thoughts?
I get this regularly, whether charging at home or work with the granny charger. If you get the wiz wiz sound it hasn’t locked in. Unlock and locking car again, usually does the trick. I always pull the charge lead at the grill just to make sure it’s locked before leaving, the one time I didn’t check I had just enough charge left to get me home as it didn’t charge. No extension involved.

Last edited:
I use a 13A plug in my garage. The plug is on a separate supply to the mains. The cable is long enough to reach the car and charges at the rate of about 2kw, or roughly 8 miles per hour. I have used it on Gen1 (Exclusive) and Gen 2 |(SR) and has always worked fine. If you have a connector cable that doesn’t reach then I’d go out and buy one that’s long enough (though they aren’t cheap). Everything I have read about using extension cables pointed to the danger of over heating

I had a 15 metre thick 16a caravan extension lead left over from our last caravan & our daughter uses that on an outside 13a socket to charge overnight on the driveway when she uses the car with no problems at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom