What cable or cables are supplied with new EV

Hello
I'm afraid that is correct. Some dealers threw in a type 2 in for free.
Have a look on evonestop they have some at good prices, I picked up a 10 meter for £150 and it's very good quality.

I was also a bit surprised about this. I know it's a way of keeping costs down, but it feels like for an electric car, a Type 2 cable should be included. Having said that, I plan on having a tethered install at home, and all the chargers I have seen so far have been tethered, so unlikely I would need one a lot, feels more like a spare wheel type of requirement required for emergency use potentially. I would definitely prefer to have one.

I was also a bit surprised about this. I know it's a way of keeping costs down, but it feels like for an electric car, a Type 2 cable should be included. Having said that, I plan on having a tethered install at home, and all the chargers I have seen so far have been tethered, so unlikely I would need one a lot, feels more like a spare wheel type of requirement required for emergency use potentially. I would definitely prefer to have one.
It’s worth getting one if you have access to free charge with Pod-Point near you as I frequently use the free charging units near me as on my way home from work I stop off plug in and catch-up on emails etc and leave with a free top up. Worth considering...

lots of manufacturers only supply a Granny cable - I have an Outlander and that only came with a Granny cable

Having a Type 2 cable for me is a must.
All the free lamp-post and stand alone chargers on the street-sides where I live need Type 2 cables, Pod Point / supermarket free chargers also need type 2 cables
I guess it depends where you live and the type of chargers available in your city/town.
In was in a low cost new build in Manchester few days ago. All the houses had one individual parking spaces and untethered type2 ev charging unit as standard. Very nice regeneration project not far from the Eithad Campus.
Tethered units tend to be in the big paying car parks etc. I avoid such units if I can. Often too costly.
A 5m or 10m / 32 amp cable is recommended. Anyway what type of charging unit do you have or intend to have at home? If you are thinking of a basic untethered programable cheap 7kWh unit then a Type 2cable is a must as most 7kWh units are type2.
Collected the wife's new ZS EV and only Granny charger in the boot.

I am looking to have a Rolec unit installed so will need to decide on cable once a suitable location for the unit is found. I have to say my concern is the fact cables are not fully locked if untethered and at £150 or near they are easily removed.

Yes locking is an issue. I do not know much about the risk of cable theft. I am however told that except for the old tesla chargers locking in to keep the cable safe is straightforward with all other chargers. At the moment I am having to use the granny cable as there is some issue with phase/amps in my garage and need for new incoming cables +/- fuse box etc.
Now in two minds as it looks like will be too expensive to get the 7kWh charger.

Had a Nissan Leaf which would allow you to lock the lead when charging, but I soon read up of a way with just a screw driver you can release the cable whilst charging, so I decided to use a padlock to secure the lead, It won't be long before the thief's realize there's money in reselling stolen leads or scraping them.
Not looked into the locking system use on the MG yet or how to secure the charghing cable whilst charging with a padlock.

@Printer Man,
As per @Mark Holmes, the car end locks when car is locked and when charging.
The charger unit end is also locked when charging so I guess your question is whether there is a means of securing the charger unit end when one plugs in at home awaiting lower night rates.
More experienced members may shed light on whether a short trickle charge for say 1min results in both ends locking then one can reset to await time of cheaper rates with locks still in place at both ends. It may depend on the make of your charger.
Well as @Andrew mentioned there are ways to release the locks and even easier ways of dealing with padlocks so the answer maybe if just to accept the risk. Not sure?

Well, you're lucky. In Denmark NO cables are included with the car. Not even a granny charger. All cables are extra charge (can you believe it!?)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom