What do you value most in your EV?

If the ZS EV and the MG5 had the same range, technology and price, which one would you buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miles Roberts CG

Prominent Member
MGEVs.com Sponsor
Reaction score
I asked this question on the most recent Podcast, but I thought I'd open it up here for more general discussion.

If the ZS EV and the MG5 had the same range (say 250 miles), and if they both had the same technology (MG Pilot, roof loads, panoramic roof etc), and if they both cost exactly the same, which one would you choose?

I'm wondering if the Crossover or Estate format is what swings it for you, or whether it was due to the availability of features on the MG ZS that swung it one way, or the extra range of the MG5 which swung it the other way.

Thanks in advance!

I think I'd stick with the ZS EV even though I've never seen or sat in the MG5, The reason being I'm an old fart who likes the higher seat position & it's much easier for getting in & out.(y)

The lesser range on the ZS EV is not an issue for my wife & I as we don't do any sort of high mileage any more since we're both retired, in fact I still haven't tried a public charger yet :eek: I find just charging up twice a month to 75-80% is adequate enough for our usage.

I’m with chowbenter as in old fart higher seat position I’ve got certain disabilities meaning the higher seat position is more advantageous to me the ZSEV offered so much more for the money than other compact SUVs

I've never actually seen an MG5 in the flesh, but for me I do not want an estate.
I wanted the increased height/size of the ZS - the "cross over".

The range issue with the ZS is a big problem for me and if the MG5 was a possibility at the time (for the same low price), as much as I don't want an estate I would have given it serious consideration.

If you are getting older and or have any medical conditions that can affect your ability to at getting in and out of a car, the ZS EV is a perfect choose in my opinion.
My previous car was a VW Golf GTE hybrid, a lovely car but pretty low to the ground.
I had a replacement knee operation about two years ago, that has been troublesome let’s just say.
Getting in and out of the Golf was extremely painful and difficult.
Once in the car it was great.
After having a “Bridge” car like the PHEV - I wanted a full EV for my next car.
My wife also likes the higher ride height of crossovers / SUV’s.
This comes from hiring cars, when we holidaying in American 🇺🇸.
For all of these reasons, the ZS EV fitted to bill just right !.
Having the MG5 with mobility issues does offer the same easy of ability to get in and out of the car, over the ZS.
To me the MG5 has a similar ride height as most saloon / hatchbacks in the road, all be it is an EV of course.
If you are into your estate cars and considering moving to an EV, then the MG5 is an absolute no brainier.
If you have mobility issues or are just getting on in year, then the ZS EV has to be the car of choice.
That little voice inside of your head is largely dictating your choice.
Time to think with your head and not your heart !.
What I am saying here, sometimes your choice is made for you.
I would guess that the ZS will out sell the MG5 in the mobility sales for the very same reasons that I have mentioned above.
Even if BOTH cars where identical in every way, with regards to their spec’s / price / range / features etc.
I think the ZS will be the car of choice for the majority of people, only because it can offer something that the MG5 can never offer under the same circumstances.
Easy of access and ride height.
Sometimes it would be nice to be able to
make the choice, but acceptance is a hard thing to deal with on times.

I prefer the Crossover format of the ZS EV over an estate. The MG5 wasn’t around when I got my ZS EV but I don’t think I’d have considered it anyway.
A friend of mine traded in his ZS for the MG5. I sat in it but as I have had high seating SUV’s since 2014 I could not get used to the driving position. The rest of the car was really nice though.

As @Lovemyev says the ZS is easier for someone with mobility issues, which Mrs C has, and I don’t think she would be able to get in and out of the MG5 without any help.

It was therefore an easy decision to swap from my UCE ZS to my new ZSEV.

I'd probably still choose the ZS, I prefer the higher seating position, plus with a child it made more sense to me :) I think I'd be persuaded by the Marvel R (if it comes) else probably in the future i'll be just upgrading to a longer range ZS (with less bugs hopefully) or potentially another Brand if the money/range/features are reasonable.

I currently have the MG5 Exclusive, which I love. The only issue I have is getting in and out of it (sit on the seat then wriggle under the wheel). I bought it over the ZS due to the extra range and all the issues ZS owners seem to have on the forums. I did look at the Kia Niro, but there's no spare wheel option, and they say the only way to jack it up is on a 4 post hoist! Very useful on the hard shoulder!! I'd definitely be test driving a ZS Exclusive with a 250 mile range.

I came from a VW Golf estate, and the 5 was just coming onto the market at the time. The ZS was the easier choice for me because it came with more kit than the 5, and I don't regret it for a second.

But...

If they were basically the same spec, and the wrapper was the only difference, I think I'd be struggling to choose. I think the ZS might just edge it again, as it's surprisingly decent as an all rounder.

Having not driven the MG ZS it is very difficult to say. I chose the 5 due to its extra range and to be honest I was a bit fed up with the SUV market all looking the same. I find the 5 very smooth and comfortable so the MG ZS would have to match that. I will certainly be taking a test drive in the ZS when the increased range model comes out and if it does match the 5 for comfort and smoothness I could be tempted. I do need to ask, does the ZS have the same punch when you floor it? now that does make me smile on the odd occasion when I do it. I think if it was a lucky dip situation I would be happy with which ever came out of the bag.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom