• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

What does loudness mean in audio settings?

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
What does this setting do?

16694666958942327125818462465939.jpg

There was a video I watched on YouTube that reviews the sound system in the 4 was quite good and he runs through all the settings and recommends his favourites if you have a search, I can’t remember him but I will probably have another watch to set mine

There was a video I watched on YouTube that reviews the sound system in the 4 was quite good and he runs through all the settings and recommends his favourites if you have a search, I can’t remember him but I will probably have another watch to set mine
I think it was Totally EV by Chris Minasians

He doesn't mention it though in the video. To be honest he didn't mention much apart from the EQ and three settings for virtual sub

Unsure what it means within the MG system, however i thought loudness meant the system would adjust the volume from song to song to match a set volume.
So there's no loud song and quiet song ( volume wise) following each other.

That’s typically called normalisation. Loudness I think is often just a “bass boost”.

That’s typically called normalisation. Loudness I think is often just a “bass boost”.
Ah yes, normalisation.

Here's 1 definition of loudness .
The loudness control is simply intended to significantly boost low and high frequencies when listening at low levels so that the ear perceives an overall flatter sound pressure level. In other words, if the loudness contouring control is not enabled at low volume levels, bass and treble appear to be lacking.

I'm old fashioned and speak English as a native language.

"Loudness", to me, means how loud the sound is ! Americanisms and neologisms have taken over of late, and it is often referred to as "volume", although to a real English speaker, "volume" refers to the cubic capacity of a space. Of course, in a car made in China, it may have an entirely different meaning as it will not be English, but Chinglish. 😉

Ah yes, normalisation.

Here's 1 definition of loudness .
The loudness control is simply intended to significantly boost low and high frequencies when listening at low levels so that the ear perceives an overall flatter sound pressure level. In other words, if the loudness contouring control is not enabled at low volume levels, bass and treble appear to be lacking.
That's pretty much my understanding. The human ear responds differently to a range of frequencies, dependant on the volume. "Loudness" attempts to correct this if you have the sound wicked down for background music etc. Look up Fletcher-Munson curves.
An equal-loudness contour is a measure of sound pressure level, over the frequency spectrum, for which a listener perceives a constant loudness when presented with pure steady tones. The unit of measurement for loudness levels is the phon and is arrived at by reference to equal-loudness contours.
More geekie stuff HERE

Speed variable sound. As you slow music volume decreases slightly, when you speed up it slightly increased volume to compensate for road/wind noise.

That's my one complaint about my MG

They are too damned complicated. They do everything for you except pull a pint, and some of the things they do ..... you don't want them to.

Every new car I buy does more and more useless stuff

Sometimes .... just sometimes .... I crave a car with no "technology" because it was so much fun driving card that I could drive !

Seriously thinking about selling the MG and buying an all manual classic car

Loudness has been a feature on audio equipment going back years

As stated it boosts the lows and highs at low volumes,

NOTHING to do with speed dependent volume in the car. That is the control below in the image. (SDV) Speed Dependent Volume.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back