What is the most charge power people have got?

Camy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Best I've ever pulled is 30kwh and that's from ultra fast ones (150+). I can see from specs that the most this MG can pull is 80kwh but has anyone ever come close to getting that?

Just done my first long distance journey down to England so been good to have some practice on the motorway machines.

Currently at Ablington Services watching my MG pull 20kwh from Gridserve but I'm looking over at 12 brand new Applegreen chargers that claim up to 175kwh. Would be good to know more reliably how much power my MG is actually going to pull from different chargers.

I have only charged away from home a few times but always get more than a kw per minute.

The charge rate is the series of the capability of the charger you are using at the SOC of the battery. A lower age SOC will enable the battery to charge faster. This video covers the charge curve - the ability of the battery and on-board charger to handle higher power. This example is pre facelift LR

My fastest charge has been 76% - got this twice on a 1,272 mile trip. I was running the battery from 80% down to 20% or 30% - so the charge rate was high and I was saving time on the charge points. After 80% the charge rate starts to fall, and fall dramatically after 85%.

My 76kW charges were on the FastNed at the Oxford Superhub chargepoint (photo was a 20 mins in so ) and an Ionity at Plymouth. Though 2 days later at a similar SOC the same Ionity unit only provided 35kW.
FastNed.jpg

Best I've ever pulled is 30kwh and that's from ultra fast ones (150+). I can see from specs that the most this MG can pull is 80kwh but has anyone ever come close to getting that?

Just done my first long distance journey down to England so been good to have some practice on the motorway machines.

Currently at Ablington Services watching my MG pull 20kwh from Gridserve but I'm looking over at 12 brand new Applegreen chargers that claim up to 175kwh. Would be good to know more reliably how much power my MG is actually going to pull from different chargers.

Had the same issuues with ultra fast chargers. For some reason they don't seem to like the MG and charge even slower than a 50kw charger would.
Assuming the charger is not partially faulty I get 50-52 kwh from 50kw chagers, when it's less it is normally because the charger is not working at full power.
My car is the Early standard range and once shortly after I got it, on gridserve 100kw I got the full 80kw out of it.

Always 36-38kw from a pod point 50kw rapid.
60kw from an instavolt.
50kw from a Zest - it got faster as the battery charged- on a warm dayo_O

However i've never rapid charged from below 35% ish

Got 93kW last year on my pre-FL LR SOC 34% temp 25 degrees. Osprey charger. Even though 87kW stated as max it is not, but have not heard of anyone getting 100kW ....yet.

IMG_20220824_133303981_HDR (4).jpg

Best I’ve managed to get is 62kW from a 120kW InstaVolt in my FL Trophy.

I was surprised to get 92kW from the new bank of Gridserve chargers at M4 Reading eastbound about 4 weeks ago.
(Pre FL LR)
IMG_9585.jpeg

Should I pre-heat the battery (even in the summer) before fast charging to improve the charge rate? Assume best charge rate is from a battery with 10-20% ish and preconditioned? Thanks all.

Should I pre-heat the battery (even in the summer) before fast charging to improve the charge rate? Assume best charge rate is from a battery with 10-20% ish and preconditioned? Thanks all.
I would guess the majority don't bother, but you could try it and see.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom