What is your opinion on your MG4 for build quality - Good or Bad

Hi Everyone.

I need to know if i've got a lemon of an MG4.
I collected it in early November, so it was part of the first batch and im having quite a few quality issues and would like to know if others are having the same.

1) Unlock buttons on the door handles worked for a few weeks and now they dont work.
2) Poor range and efficiency, i've never had more than 150 miles of real world driving or had more than 3 miles per kwh, and thats driving it gently
3) knocking noise coming from the rear left corner
4) Vibrations through the front wheels and a sort of suspension buffeting noise from the front at low speeds
5) Scratches on alloy wheels from either shipping or the wheel covers
6) Drivers seat creaking after 2000 miles and sounding like an old wire frame sofa bed
7) Randomly loses some power and refusal to accelerate from 30% battery or less
8) When the battery is charged to 100% it loses 10% in first 10 miles??? WTF????
9) Dashboard creaking around the 10 inch screen
10) After releasing the parking brake, occasionally the rear brakes feel like they lock on and make a clunking noise when they finally release

Needless to say i have a lot of warranty issues than need sorting!
Coming into 9 months 7000km the car drives like new. Only issue I have is the under tray bulge and rest hopefully fixed with software like not having a temperature gauge and head unit tends to disconnect from Bluetooth in android auto but other wise it's a solid car for the price and a good looking one to.

what was your last car?
The MG4 does not handle badly but its also not a good handling car!
It grips but its very wallowy and gets unsettled easily with changes to the road surface. Its by no means a car that is planted to the road

Put it this way, i jumped into my wife's 2004 audi TT that has 100k on the clock this weekend, and that instantly pointed out that the MG4 is not a great handling car and it had a lot less creaks!
Would you not expect the Audi to be a better built car ? My MG5 is much less refined than a Bentley - must complain about it !

Would you not expect the Audi to be a better built car ? My MG5 is much less refined than a Bentley - must complain about it !
No, i would not expect a 20 year old car with 20 years worth of wear, a lot of rust and over 100000 miles on the clock to feel better than a brand new MG, Plus an Audi TT is just a VW golf with a coupe body so its leagues away from a Bently!!

My MG has 11000 miles and its full of creaks. The 20 year old TT had none and my 16 year old Subaru does not creak and rattle like my MG does. So its not a refined or well built car so i hate to think what they will be like when they are older with more miles!

I will be very happy to hand the keys back when my PCP deal ends and i will not be buying another MG!.

Must admit the plethora of rattles is starting to grate on me. Every time I sort one, I get a few weeks then another one appears! At the moment I have a rattle somewhere around the interior light housing (again), one in the front passenger door area, one in either the front of the driver door or the dash just ahead of it, and some creaking has just started around the infotainment screen. Very frustrating to be honest.

I picked up my 2022 Trophy with 11k on the clock and it’s basically like new. No knocks or weird noises and the battery SOH is 99.9%. All the controls work fine. I have no complaints. Quality feels on par with my BMW.

I do have ( not constant ) a vibration/rattle from ( I think ) the screen behind the steering wheel. My wife says it sounds like it’s coming more from the middle of the dash, possibly by/or the screen there. Will need proper investigation if it gets worse.

& since our trip last week ( longest we’ve had in the car ) the drivers seat is making a very annoying noise. Sounds like the top & bottom half leather/vinyl are rubbing together. This will need sorting as it would drive me crackers in the long run

My 2 biggest issues I’ve only just noticed today. When you unlock/lock the car the passenger side door mirror is taking ages to open/close. When I got home this morning & locked it I thought it wasn’t going to close at all. Took roughly 30 seconds.

& the front right side indicator has stopped working so it’s a trip back to MG this morning.

Now I still enjoy the car, really is nice to drive & I didn’t get it expecting BMW, Audi levels of quality & I know you can get issues on any new car but little things like above does make you ( well it does me ) start to question it

On a car that’s done only 1300 miles ( again I know it can happen ) I wasn’t expecting to see these niggles already

But it’s easy to start getting disheartened, hopefully it’s just a few teething issues & again, within the next hour or so I will be taking a trip to MG.

On the substantial body quality I don't think we'll know until a few years when they start to rust and the suspension falls apart (or not). An old Volvo I used to have held up very well for example, but a Ford Puma crumbled to dust relatively early.
Mine's had a few warnings (auto-hold, airbag) but they seemed to come in the winter then go away in spring. The dealer said they're waiting for parts but never got back to me, we'll see what happens this winter.

I do have ( not constant ) a vibration/rattle from ( I think ) the screen behind the steering wheel. My wife says it sounds like it’s coming more from the middle of the dash, possibly by/or the screen there. Will need proper investigation if it gets worse.

& since our trip last week ( longest we’ve had in the car ) the drivers seat is making a very annoying noise. Sounds like the top & bottom half leather/vinyl are rubbing together. This will need sorting as it would drive me crackers in the long run

My 2 biggest issues I’ve only just noticed today. When you unlock/lock the car the passenger side door mirror is taking ages to open/close. When I got home this morning & locked it I thought it wasn’t going to close at all. Took roughly 30 seconds.

& the front right side indicator has stopped working so it’s a trip back to MG this morning.

Now I still enjoy the car, really is nice to drive & I didn’t get it expecting BMW, Audi levels of quality & I know you can get issues on any new car but little things like above does make you ( well it does me ) start to question it

On a car that’s done only 1300 miles ( again I know it can happen ) I wasn’t expecting to see these niggles already

But it’s easy to start getting disheartened, hopefully it’s just a few teething issues & again, within the next hour or so I will be taking a trip to MG.
Took it to MG, now it’s having a vacation with MG 😂

To be fair I wasn’t there 10 minutes & a technician took it into the garage. I waited around half an hour for the guy to come back ….

They have to order a new indicator. I thought this would be something they’d have in-stock but maybe because it’s an LED light?

Also ordering in new door mirror/unit

Then I was surprised when he told me it’s showing a problem with my 12V battery. I know when I checked the app yesterday it was showing 12.5V but anyway, that’s being replaced.

While it’s there they will look into the squeaky seat & vibration around the dashboard

After reading posts on this forum about MG4 owners waiting for parts I do wonder how long I’m going to be waiting? He did say they will put in the order today & Monday they should be able to give me an idea of time scales.

But on the plus side I’ve been provided ( until I get my MG4 back ) a gorgeous shiny courtesy car. It does feel weird though being back in a petrol car even though it is hybrid.

I can’t lie, little disheartening but I’m just hoping it’s teething issues & will be sorted ASAP

As they say, it’s the joys of motoring 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
When you get it back Adam C could you give us all an update , thanks. I also have a squeaky seat ( careful now ) so would be interested in their solution , its not that bad, more an annoyance than anything serious.(y)

When you get it back Adam C could you give us all an update , thanks. I also have a squeaky seat ( careful now ) so would be interested in their solution , its not that bad, more an annoyance than anything serious.(y)
I definitely will do buddy.

It’s funny because I was just sitting here thinking about it.

I didn’t have this noise in the seat before we went on our trip recently & while we were away I did have a few pains in back ( I’ve had issues for a few years now ) & did adjust the seat slightly & the noise only started after this

Now on a few BMW forums a few 2020 onwards 3 & 4 series have had similar problems with seats creaking

Most say it happened with fairly new cars but once the seats were broke in the noises stopped so I’m hoping it’s something simple like this

But I will update you as soon as I hear 👍

Sorry , I should have added, it sounds a bit like springs in an old chair, not the coiled type but the sine wave type, onto which they put the foam. It only happens on bends where your weight is pushed more towards the edges of the seat. Maybe some cheaper less grippy tyres might help! o_O

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back