What tyres do mg4 come with. And how do you tell if they are ev tyres or not

Continental EcoContact 6. They are not EV specific but have a sufficient weight rating for the porkiness of the car and relatively low rolling resistance at the expense of outright grip.

Attachments

• BC72B485-FFA7-4932-9B0F-69C3E27FA063.jpeg
    BC72B485-FFA7-4932-9B0F-69C3E27FA063.jpeg
    773.2 KB · Views: 171
They are a Chinese specific continentals, you can't buy them here I don't think

Yup, China Specific, Continental PremiumContact C.
Look the same as UK available UltraContact UC6.

Attachments

• 181A1F1C-DBCA-4AA4-9713-3B1A0DC99A23.jpeg
    181A1F1C-DBCA-4AA4-9713-3B1A0DC99A23.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 3D1B997F-DCE5-4E8E-9C5F-F701010F6A5D.jpeg
    3D1B997F-DCE5-4E8E-9C5F-F701010F6A5D.jpeg
    570 KB · Views: 150
  • 7BC0A522-E2A9-484F-8994-1DAE76588F46.jpeg
    7BC0A522-E2A9-484F-8994-1DAE76588F46.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 170
Continentals.

There is no such thing as ev tyres

There are high load tyres and low rolling resistance tyres but not ev specific
There are some tyres that are developed specifically for evs. The following is from Michelin's website: Keep in mind that any of our tyre lines remain suitable for electric vehicles, while the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV and MICHELIN e·Primacy, are specifically designed for EVs.

There are some tyres that are developed specifically for evs. The following is from Michelin's website: Keep in mind that any of our tyre lines remain suitable for electric vehicles, while the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV and MICHELIN e·Primacy, are specifically designed for EVs.
Marketing BS IMO. At 1600 kg or so with 200lbf torque I don't think the MG4 requires anything extraordinary :unsure:

215/50 R17 V XL on mine. The XL is extreme load for EV.

We need to dispel this theory that XL is for EVs.
XL is used in loads of cars.
The standard tyres are load rating 95 and as long as you use the same load rating (or higher) you can use any tyre you want.
I have all season Goodyear vector on mine, in 95 load rating.
I’ll keep the standard (very poor) continentals for when I reject or sell the car, then I’ll sell the Goodyears.
The standard Chinese contis have the hallmarks of other budget Chinese tyres I’ve driven on, a complete lack of feel, consistency and grip.
China just seems to make tyres that fulfil legal obligations and to hell with any driving performance.

I’ve had some decent cars that have come with “decent” rubber from factory in my time - Pug 208GTi, Cupra 300, Merc A250.

I personally find my MG4 rubber is very good overall - seams to have plenty of grip for the wet / cold conditions ( granted I don’t drive like Colin McRae but do like to test out the handling of my cars ) the Falkens on my current Golf and the Hanhooks on the Merc were way worse for grip by comparison.

I won’t be replacing the conti’s on my MG4 until they wear out personally.

Really? Given the width of the tyres I'd have expected a low value. Is it because of the ultra low profile to protect the rims.
XL is nothing to do with tyre section. It is how much weight the tyre can take which can vary widely and is denoted by a code number. See the table here.

The 215s x 16 on my 3.5 ton motorhome are rated over a ton each.

As my ZS will come with summers, they will be changed for all-seasons immediately. Safety is more important & any range reduction will be slight.

As my ZS will come with summers, they will be changed for all-seasons immediately. Safety is more important & any range reduction will be slight.
I can recommend michelin cross climate

A guy fitting XL rated tyres on my s-max (XL for load) showed me the inside of a Tesla tyre he was fitting to a model S. It had a foam layer fitted to the inside, apparently to reduce the road noise - so was kind of EV specific.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back