What tyres do mg4 come with. And how do you tell if they are ev tyres or not

A guy fitting XL rated tyres on my s-max (XL for load) showed me the inside of a Tesla tyre he was fitting to a model S. It had a foam layer fitted to the inside, apparently to reduce the road noise - so was kind of EV specific.
Yeah I've seen this and been told that's why a lot of places won't touch Tesla tyres for punctures. Not sure if that's true but I can see the foam being a hassle if not outright complication for that job.

What tyres do mg4 come with. And how do you tell if they are ev tyres or not
Here's a really good explanation about why EVs need different tyres from equivalent ICE vehicles:

A guy fitting XL rated tyres on my s-max (XL for load) showed me the inside of a Tesla tyre he was fitting to a model S. It had a foam layer fitted to the inside, apparently to reduce the road noise - so was kind of EV specific.

Yeah Kia are fitting them as well, bit of a pain if you need a tyre repair as they have to cut into the foam.

Here's a really good explanation about why EVs need different tyres from equivalent ICE vehicles:

No no no, they do not need different tyres from their equivalent ICE at all.
Utter rubbish.
Get the right weight rating and that’s all that’s needed.
His stuff about the torque is nonsense, even someone who uses all the acceleration all the time isn’t punishing the tyres any different to anyone launching an ICE hard.
My 4 is 250nm torque, my polo GTi was 320nm torque from only 1500rpm up.
So exactly why would my 4 need special tyres to cope with that low amount of torque, compare with an ICE that can produce more at low revs too?
Sorry but it really annoys me when internet nobodies pedal this nonsense and maybe put people off EVs.
It’s up to us as experienced EV owners to dispel this nonsense.

100% as long as the weight rating matches you can put what you like on your car. There will be some specific ones out there like has been mentioned with the foam in them, and others that claim to be EV specific but apart from them you can put on what you like

Just ordered a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3
Got tired of the Chinese Continentals sliding out on the icy conditions and got a great deal on the Goodyears; £103 fitted inc vat with 12 months interest free financing.

Would anyone be interested in buying a set of Continentals? 😜
Only 3500 miles on them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? My current Zoe came with bog-standard Michelin Primacy 4+ all round. 100% normal tyres

Last edited:
Looking for recommendations on tyres please as mine have to be replaced. I can’t decide whether to go for all season or summer. I’m erring towards summer as I’ve not had all season before and feel like I’ll only get the benefit for a small portion of the year. Anyone care to chip in?

I wouldn’t get anything other than all-season now, even on sportier cars than the 4.
They’re 95% as good as pure summer tyres in summer, but 100% better in snow.
Nothing to dislike about them.

Edited to be more specific.
Michelin cross climate or Goodyear Vector are the ones I can recommend.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t get anything other than all-season now, even on sportier cars than the 4.

Have to agree got Goodyear vectors on our other car, feels nice and safe in the snow

Have to agree got Goodyear vectors on our other car, feels nice and safe in the snow

Decent is summer too.
Maybe a bit noisier, maybe a wee bit more vague on turn in if you’re really pushing.
But no real issues on my 230bhp (chipped) polo GTi.

I had cross climates on a Toyota GT86 and can recommend them for year round use and good mileage/ lifetime.

Attractive tread pattern too

Thanks, I know how the weather is up there, family from Aberdeen, Milltimber and I’ve spent much time there. The thing for me is that we get snow very rarely down here so I think 🤔 I’m going to plump for summer tyres after all. TBH, I think I’m going to get rid of the car in 9 months so I’m factoring that in also.

Thanks, I know how the weather is up there, family from Aberdeen, Milltimber and I’ve spent much time there. The thing for me is that we get snow very rarely down here so I think 🤔 I’m going to plump for summer tyres after all. TBH, I think I’m going to get rid of the car in 9 months so I’m factoring that in also.

I’ve got an as new set of standard tyres I’d let go cheap to free up garage space.
Barely 200 miles on them, if that.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel