What's the best cable for charging on the street?

JoeJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello All,

Excuse me if this has already been posted elsewhere, but I took ownership of my MG4 Trophy at the end of March and I was only given a home charger which is no good as I live in a flat with no charging facilities.

So far, charging has been easier than I though but, aside from charging it at the petrol station, I'd like to purchase a charger for when I'm out and about, which is suitable for street charging and when at the supermarket where there are no cables, but am struggling to get my head around what the best one would be when it comes to the fastest charge.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe - Are you referring to the type of cable that you will need to perform charging while on the move, either from a A/C public charger or at the likes of your local super market etc?.
If so, you will just require a 32 Amp Type 2 cable in order to do this.
They are readerly available on-line.
Check the “For Sales” items in the forum as they frequently pop up on here !.
Here is the one I have, but they can vary a lot in price.
If you intend to use it a LOT then I would go for a good quality cable from a reputable manufacturer.

That cable seems to be a 3.6kW cable - completely pointless for home or destination (7kW) charging.

Hi Joe - Are you referring to the type of cable that you will need to perform charging while on the move, either from a A/C public charger or at the likes of your local super market etc?.
If so, you will just require a 32 Amp Type 2 cable in order to do this.
They are readerly available on-line.
Check the “For Sales” items in the forum as they frequently pop up on here !.
Here is the one I have, but they can vary a lot in price.
If you intend to use it a LOT then I would go for a good quality cable from a reputable manufacturer.

Yeah, sorry Lovemyev, I meant cable. Have just ordered the same one in yellow. Thanks very much for your help.

@JoeJ

Thanks, have just bought a 7.4kw one though.

Sorry - Now I am confused ( which is not difficult ).
The link to the EV cables Type 2 lead has a carrying capacity of 7.4 Kw's, there is a drop down box to select the 3.6 Kw cable, which is not recommended of course.
The link should have directed you straight to the 7.2 Kw lead.
I have just checked it, and that is what it does ?.
The second link to the cable for sale on the forum does not state its carrying capacity, only its cable length at 5m ( unless I have missed something ) o_O .

Sorry - Now I am confused ( which is not difficult ).
The link to the EV cables Type 2 lead has a carrying capacity of 7.4 Kw's, there is a drop down box to select the 3.6 Kw cable, which is not recommended of course.
The link should have directed you straight to the 7.2 Kw lead.
I have just checked it, and that is what it does ?.
The second link to the cable for sale on the forum does not state its carrying capacity, only its cable length at 5m ( unless I have missed something ) o_O .
Are you referring to siteguru’s reply? I purchased this one earlier

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 84
I purchased this one: EV Wired Type 2 to Type 2 5m EV Charging Cable 32A 22kW Three Phase https://amzn.eu/d/fffqFY9
Very pleased with the performance on 22kw Connected Kerb destination charger today. Got over 10kW average, 35% to almost full in the 4hrs we spent in the area. Great value too, even factoring paying for parking on top, worked out about 50p/kWh.
03977C98-C710-4B07-8066-562256DBA5E2.jpeg

Attachments

• ABF04E96-FDEB-4E2E-A385-8A3DA9214A04.jpeg
    ABF04E96-FDEB-4E2E-A385-8A3DA9214A04.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 64
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back