what's the lowest % battery you've gone to on a trip ?

gonzocomet

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
went down to 7% on trip last night, at 8% the GOM gave up and just said --
has anyone got down to last few % points and kept going ? just interested if the % left is accurate and hence ok to go down to 1 or 2% ?

Ditto lowest I've been is 7%! Didn't do the /// thing though. On a few occasions I have finished a drive around that mark, stopped and on restarting veh it's shown 1/2/3% which has been slightly alarming.

12% in the MG ZS LR. Did 5% in an Ioniq. I usually go low on the return journey as I know I can charge when I get home, and know where the local chargers are if it gets REALLY low. :)

It's nice to get a handle on just how low the car will go, before stopping altogether.
But running the battery super low could lead the car to totally "brick".
This really should be avoided TBH.
Its generally thought that running the battery too low, is detrimental to long term battery life.
Not something I would really willing to subject my own car too.

looks like it has been asked before
so limp mode and then stop, although nothing about long term issues (you'd hope the limp to stop is there to protect the thing).

1% - at which point the car completely died on the A30 driving through Cornwall, after a visit to the Gridserve site to find the entire location was out of order, no timescale for repair, 5% on the battery and 7 miles to the next charger (up a hill). Highly recommend not trusting the SoC display as there appears to be no bottom buffer! (2022 LR Trophy)

1% - at which point the car completely died on the A30 driving through Cornwall, after a visit to the Gridserve site to find the entire location was out of order, no timescale for repair, 5% on the battery and 7 miles to the next charger (up a hill). Highly recommend not trusting the SoC display as there appears to be no bottom buffer! (2022 LR Trophy)
So there's no buffer below 0% at all?

9% today.

I did a 50 miles trip from London to Cambridge with 70miles/h speed ACC but my average speed was 55 miles/h because of traffic and street speed. I had slim roof box and a bicycle on roof bar. Car was filled with about 250kg luggage for two students. Efficiency was only 2.7 miles/kWh on this leg.
IMG_20230926_121931.jpg

I had 28% charge left with 70miles in ECO mode range for 50miles return trip. I had 20 miles spare at beginning. I still had 20 miles spare at half way where I could charge up. I decided to take calculated risk without stopping. I ended with 9% charge 27 miles left at end. I still have the slim roof box on roof bar for the return leg to achieve the estimated range in eco mode.

Range estimation would be accurate based on careful driving style. First leg with aggressive driving used much more energy leaving second leg at risk.
IMG_20230926_190529.jpg

Last edited:
MG5 6%, old LEAF - flashing lights. --% and --- miles. I calculated I had an actual range of 4 miles.

When our car was delivered by the previous owner I gave him a lift back to the station. Driving home I realised that the remaining miles were 0. By the time I reached home (a couple of miles) it was --.

A bit panicked but in the end no drama at all.

went down to 7% on trip last night, at 8% the GOM gave up and just said --
has anyone got down to last few % points and kept going ? just interested if the % left is accurate and hence ok to go down to 1 or 2% ?
Went to 5% at which point it gave up telling me range/% left. At the point it gave up telling me it said 12 miles left. I was within 5 miles of home and no issues. I was confident it would be fine. Just need to be aware…

MG ZS EV (2020) return journey with 3 bikes on top and one in the boot. Massively underestimated the effect of the bikes and display went to 7 miles remaining and then --- (no 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1). At --- I drove a further 3 miles and made it home.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom