Whats the minimum battery level for the car to work?

smoked

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
If it had 1% would it still drive for what it has or would there need to be a minimum level in the battery for it to run?

When we first got our Mk1 in January 2020 we did a few trips where we used up the GOM range. In our car at about 7 mikes left on the GOM it changes to read four small Lines, effectively goes blank. However the car kept running and never actually stopped, although we got home when it should have been reading maybe 2 or 3. Since then the software has been updated, so this might have changed. Nowadays I would try to get to a charge point before a GOM of 10 appears.

I think there are a number of reviews on line, where EV’s have been driven down to less than zero miles remaining on the GOM.
After it reaches zero the GOM will usually report three flashing lines for a short while, after this the flashing lines will disappear and the car will drop into “Turtle” mode.
The power will significantly be reduced to a turtle 🐢 pace.
The car is very close to completely shutting down at this point !.
Personally I am very keen not to run my battery 🪫 into a single digit figure on the GOM !.
Running a traction battery this low on a number of occasions can really be detrimental to the life span of the pack.

As noted, the car does give you multiple warnings, from the level lines flashing (yeah, you should take note of this) right down to the turtle (this is nae, nae kiddin time).

Whilst the battery won't be "flat" in the traditional sense of no charge left, and the GOM is really only a guess of remaining range, I wouldn't like to take it into very low single digits % because you're then relying on your lowest charged cell not taking a flakey.

As a test my friend and I drove the facelift until it stopped. We were in eco mode and it stopped dead with the three lines on the gom. Before it changed to the three lines it had 5km range left and died less than 1km after the three lines came on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom