WHATS UNDER THE COVER ON AN MG5?

Didn't realise this was such an emotive matter!
I take the view that it's a solution to an insignificant problem but still a subject worthy of discussion.
I'm following this thread just out of interest to see what inovative solutions people have - but I can't quite relate to the problem. Normally, my type 2 cable rattles around my boot (in it's bag) and when I fit the dog cage, it sits down the side.

Would be nice to have a proper frunk with the box and cover combined into a single unit with an OEM look - but not sure I'd pay money for it. Maybe I would, but opening the bonnet feels more of an ordeal than opening the boot.

I hardly use the bagged up charging cable and mine was rolling around in the boot too. I've not removed anything and it now sits on top of the plastic cover under the bonnet, freeing up the boot for different junk.

I use it so infrequently I'll probably forget where it is when I need it...

mines in the front also fixed with a bungee cable when i was at the dealers and asked could i modify the plastic cover and have a bowl type piece put in they said as the cover was a waterproof cover for the electrics and it would invalidate the warrantee

With the voltages around under there it would need a somewhat better fit to be of any great value as a "waterproof cover". I must remember to have a look under the bonnet the next time I am in heavy rain.

With the voltages around under there it would need a somewhat better fit to be of any great value as a "waterproof cover". I must remember to have a look under the bonnet the next time I am in heavy rain.
I’ve never yet found so much as a drip of water on the cover nor near the coiled up type 2 cable or hi- viz.

I don't think it plays any part in keeping water out (that's what the bonnet is for!)
Perhaps it helps to keep things clean and acts as an insulator to deter condensation?

That plastic bin looks big enough for one large dog or two small grandchildren. Why not cut a hatch in the bonnet and supply motorcycle goggles to ocupants?

ok cool (if metal i was wondering if it was part of some structural item), should/would be straight forward to get an after market brace with box made and even a top cover with hole in.... all fun stuff :)

i don't own an MG but looking at the MG ZS LR this Friday, wanted to look at forums to get an idea of any issues, good info, real users etc :)

Here's a picture of the support from my car:
support.jpg

As a result of this (or a similar) thread my bagged up charge cable lives on top of the cover. I've not secured it in any way though, but may well do that now it seems to be OK there. I only expect to use it very rarely.

It did worry me as I have seen similar as cast aluminium forming a brace I think on BMWs

If structural it is unlikely to play any role in normal use but may come into play in an accident and affect the performance of the crumple zone. As discussed elsewhere you have to bear in mind insurance when it comes to modifications of ANY sort. Its not only negative, fitting dash cams and parking sensors can sometimes reduce premiums.

I have been watching this thread and thought I would try my type 2 cable in its bag in the formed area in the middle of the cover, it fits perfectly, bonnet closes and no sign of indentation to underside insulation on the bonnet. I find it easier to access especially as charge point at the front. Lack of hydraulics make the bonnet quite heavy to open but overall I am converted from a doubter to a user. I had also though it might be damp but beading water seems to stay on the underside of the bonnet,well in front of the indentation.

Attachments

• 574B1D39-67D8-4EBF-832C-51CEA371D5FD.jpeg
    574B1D39-67D8-4EBF-832C-51CEA371D5FD.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 171
@Bogrole and @5teep may I ask where you purchased them from please (and any code on it so I can make sure I get the same!)

My 5 is absolutely packed to the rafters when I go camping so ANY spare space I can utilise would be greatly appreciated!
Here's the label on mine, 35litres -

IMG_20220121_130317.jpg

@Bogrole and @5teep may I ask where you purchased them from please (and any code on it so I can make sure I get the same!)

My 5 is absolutely packed to the rafters when I go camping so ANY spare space I can utilise would be greatly appreciated!
Mine was lurking in the back of the garage, sorry I have no idea

It did worry me as I have seen similar as cast aluminium forming a brace I think on BMWs

If structural it is unlikely to play any role in normal use but may come into play in an accident and affect the performance of the crumple zone. As discussed elsewhere you have to bear in mind insurance when it comes to modifications of ANY sort. Its not only negative, fitting dash cams and parking sensors can sometimes reduce premiums.
Its plastic!

Stuck my cables in the back behind the drivers seat. It’s only the dog who goes in there most of the time and I rarely carry passengers in the back.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom