Where did the towbar go?

Roldorf

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone.

Last week I looked for a towbar for my ZS EV, which is due to be delivered next week, not for towing but only to carry a bike rack.
On the internet I found on the Brink website a towbar for the car. Following the instructions to be directed to a fitting company I was forwarded to the website of ATU which is a nationwide supplier of manufacturers parts.
They offered the Brinks removable towbar and electrics fitted for 899.99 euro for the MG ZS EV 2022 model.
I go to the dealers tomorrow to arrange number plates and registration, fitting of the towbar and winter tyres (Its illegal here in Germany to drive on summer tyres after November and it's snowing here today).
Looking on the internet today it seems that Brinks no longer has towbars for any MG on their website. I have the part number for the relevant towbar, even searching for the part number brings no result (4028000).
I have heard that the towbar supplied by MG is in fact manufactured by Brinks, part number SAC 1000648 and SAC 1000638 for the electrics, also priced at 900 euro.

Has anyone any information on the part number, price and availability of the SAC towbar?

Last edited:
I contacted Brink last week and they replied;
It now seems that the towbar 4028000 will be available as from week 3 in December if everything goes as planned.
You can contact Nova Leisure in the UK for ordering.
I was interested in the Brink as the previous one had a 75 kg nose weight. The Witter tow bar, as far as I know is the one MG approved, but is only 50 kg nose weight.

Last edited:
There is a great detailed thread on an owner installing his Witter bar on his ZS facelift.

Witter towbars are only available in the UK unfortunately so will have to go for Brink or the official MG towbar (If it's available). I will update this thread tomorrow after my trip to the dealer.

Dealer said they didn't have them yet (tow bars), supposedly on a boat from China. I think we have heard that one somewhere before.

According to the brink web site that towbar is also a 50 kg nose weight. Have you tried contacting Brink direct?

BRINK vertical detachable towbar - ( Article number: 4028000 )​

BRINK vertical detachable towbar

Fitting time:1.5hours
Bumper cut:without cutout for bumper
Build year from:03-2019
More information

Technical specifications​

Approval numberE11 55R 0212142
Coupling ClassA50-X
D-Value4kN
EAN number8712762015537
Foldaway Socketplateyes
Nett weight20.29Kg
Pallet Quantity14
Maximum towing weightKg
Maximum vertical Load50Kg

Brink website is back up and running with the towbar now listed.
Will have to wait as dealer said he would supply and fit SAIC's towbar for free when he gets it (!)
No rush as I wont be taking the bikes anywhere until springtime.

It Seems from the SAIC Accessories Brochure that the tow bar wiring kit (SAC1000638) is produced by ECS electronics, who also supply the wiring kit for the tow bar from Brink (same installation pdf file, the Brink file has a Brink cover 1st page)

Hi everyone.

Last week I looked for a towbar for my ZS EV, which is due to be delivered next week, not for towing but only to carry a bike rack.
On the internet I found on the Brink website a towbar for the car. Following the instructions to be directed to a fitting company I was forwarded to the website of ATU which is a nationwide supplier of manufacturers parts.
They offered the Brinks removable towbar and electrics fitted for 899.99 euro for the MG ZS EV 2022 model.
I go to the dealers tomorrow to arrange number plates and registration, fitting of the towbar and winter tyres (Its illegal here in Germany to drive on summer tyres after November and it's snowing here today).
Looking on the internet today it seems that Brinks no longer has towbars for any MG on their website. I have the part number for the relevant towbar, even searching for the part number brings no result (4028000).
I have heard that the towbar supplied by MG is in fact manufactured by Brinks, part number SAC 1000648 and SAC 1000638 for the electrics, also priced at 900 euro.

Has anyone any information on the part number, price and availability of the SAC towbar?
Wow I had a whither removable tow dar fitted with a single 7 pin plug fitted for less the £450
I would look around before committing.

I can attest to the fact that atleast here in Denmark, the towbar fitted by the importer to my ZS EV LR was a Brink brand towbar.

If you can find the scrapyard the car was taken to (I dont know where), there is a 3 months old, almost unused towbar, fitted to it, that should be possible to just unbolt and fit onto another car.

Pity MG don't have a towbar for the MG5. The latest model supposedly does, but not the first model. It's an estate car, supposedly. You would think as 'estate' car would have the facility.

It Seems from the SAIC Accessories Brochure that the tow bar wiring kit (SAC1000638) is produced by ECS electronics, who also supply the wiring kit for the tow bar from Brink (same installation pdf file, the Brink file has a Brink cover 1st page)

ECS also produce the wiring kit for the WITTER bar. I had an issue with the installation of mine and ECS were super supportive.

Hi thingaby did you install the towbar yourself? If so how easy was it, apart from the wiring kit of course.

Hi thingaby did you install the towbar yourself? If so how easy was it, apart from the wiring kit of course.
I didn't do it myself. I did take some photos I will share if you send me a pm. There were no technical challenges I couldn't have achieved EXCEPT the confidence with which the fitter took apart the trim of my new car would have been well beyond me. Having seen the fitter at work I consider it money well spent. And I'm from Yorkshire!

Hi everyone.

I got Halfords to fit my towbar they came out me and fitted it on my driveway.

Hi everyone.

I had Witter removable tow bar fitted 10 months ago. Cost £480 fitted in Wrexham. I Tow a 6'.6" Williams trailer with a golf buggy on it. With no problem at all. But tge car uses the battery up twice as quick as you would normally use. So you need to plan if driving a long distance. I only tow for 70 miles and it uses 49% of battery life.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom