Where do you have the home wall charger located?

Where would you have your Home Wall Charger (WHC) fitted?

• Front of house, between front door and window.

• Inside open porch.

• Side of house, close to front.

• Side wall on front of house.

• Inside garage.

• Somewhere on the side of house.

• Somewhere else, not visible.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have no option, as I live in a mid-terrace house, so front wall facing the drive. I have a Zappi 2 unit, which allows you to lock the unit until a password is entered, so it’s secure. Also managed to get a cover to keep it as out of sight as I could - I could imagine copper thieves just snipping off my tether… ☹️

Mine is on the side of the house, driveway, halfway down (not on your list).
I can drive in forwards or backwards and the 5m tethered cable reaches. If I change the car and the connection is on a corner of the car, it will still reach.
Thought out planning :)
I have exactly the same. Never had a problem charging even with two cars on the drive.

My Zappi is inside the garage with enough cable under the door to reach the car
My arrangement is pretty similar. I don't trust the holster to keep spiders etc out of the cable terminals, though. So I use the cover that came with the cable to keep them out and just drape it over the top of the holster.

I have an EO Mini Pro 2 charger fitted between the front door and window. I did not want a tethered cable as this could have proved too tempting for cable thieves. Although I have a 5m cable, I purchased a 2m cable as this was more convenient.
P1020018.JPG

@1MGEVUSER and others watching..

Good question, I thought about it a lot while 'organising' my installation... I would say to anyone... if you can get it in the garage and charge with the door closed... Then go for it.. More secure, no flashing lights attracting unwanted attention in the dead of night. Mine is a zappi (fixed at eye level) so I can set the 'charging schedule' in the comfort of the garage. ditto taking notes from the charge log... it's clean, easier when it is raining. you can wipe the cable down and store it in the 'dry'..

Tethered or untethered??

I figured that a tethered cable can never be 'untethered'! where an untethered could if you wanted be left plugged in and in effect 'tethered'... Untethered means I can take the lead with me if I need it to charge elsewhere... and like @Lovemyev says if I change my car and the cable is not long enough I can get a longer cable and keep the charger...

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin

Just today I received my Easee One.
@MartinReid

Checked the cable length and it is approximately 7.5m, just what I want. This will be good if the wife will eventually get an EV too.

I guess it will also come handy if someone would be selfish and block a parking spot on public chargers.

Just today I received my Easee One.
@MartinReid

Checked the cable length and it is approximately 7.5m, just what I want. This will be good if the wife will eventually get an EV too.

I guess it will also come handy if someone would be selfish and block a parking spot on public chargers.

@1MGEVUSER I guess the 'Easee One' is untethered... A little late for you... but others might be interested... I quite like the 'green' lead from screwfix...

@David B Has a nice short one the same colour as his car... very nice...

Always sincere..
Marin

Attachments

• ScrewFix EV Lead 5m.png
    ScrewFix EV Lead 5m.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 95
@1MGEVUSER I guess the 'Easee One' is untethered... A little late for you... but others might be interested... I quite like the 'green' lead from screwfix...

Always sincere..
Marin

Mine is included free through Motability.

Side of the house inside the bin alcove, old house.
Plenty of room with the wheelie bin sharing the space.
This way it never gets wet and isn't visible to the public.

@David B Has a nice short one the same colour as his car... very nice...

Always sincere..
Marin

Very nice green but a high price to pay !

Personally I'd save £75 and buy elsewhere e.g.

Yeah - Agreed, I have the type 2 cable from evonestop and found it to be very good quality.
It does not get a lot of use as a have a tethered wall box, which I find more more convenient to be honest.
The type 2 cable get's a free ride in the boot, where it is coiled around the space saver, along with the V2L cable that I bought some time ago.
They are holding a party with the 12 volt jump pack and the 10mm spanner 🤣.
The 12 volt smart charger is feeling a bit "left out" home alone stuck in the garage !.
Always have a back up plan if possible, is what my OCD tell's me ;).

Today I had the Easee One fitted.
The electrician did a nice job and I am very pleased with the look and location position. From far away some people would think it's a post box.

Not sure if the LED strip could be dimmed at night. Maybe I'll send Easee a note for a possible firmware option that it would give dimming control in weekly programmed timing, after all, the charger can already by programmed for charge times.

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_163402.jpg
    IMG_20220718_163402.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Today I had the Easee One fitted.
The electrician did a nice job and I am very pleased with the look and location position. From far away some people would think it's a post box.

Not sure the LED strip could be dimmed at nigh. Maybe I'll send Easee a note for a possible firmware option that would give dimming control weekly programmed timing, after all, the charger can already by programmed for charge times.
Really neat install to be fair !.
Under cover, tucked behind that brick pillar.
Wall boxes that can accommodate rear entry of the supply cable, always gives a cleaner / neater finished job.
I am a tethered cable man myself, but I totally 100% see why you have gone for the untethered option in your case.
I agree, you will probably find some letters wedged behind it soon !.
A new postie thinking it is a new snazzy mail box, but unable to find the flap 🤣.
Like the bright green high vis cable also, black could have been a trip hazard.
Good choices 👍.

Really neat install to be fair !.
Under cover, tucked behind that brick pillar.
Wall boxes that can accommodate rear entry of the supply cable, always gives a cleaner / neater finished job.
I am a tethered cable man myself, but I totally 100% see why you have gone for the untethered option in your case.
I agree, you will probably find some letters wedged behind it soon !.
A new postie thinking it is a new snazzy mail box, but unable to find the flap 🤣.
Like the bright green high vis cable also, black could have been a trip hazard.
Good choices 👍.
I had to intervene a couple of times as the man wanted to go horizontal where the cable exit from the external wall, which is within the red bricks, and he wanted to then to drill from the outside and into the porch, then come up vertically into the bottom inlet of the charger.
I politely pointed out that I preferred the cable running horizontally but inline with the top of the black engineering bricks, not between the red bricks, and that I also preferred not to see any cables inside the porch. He was accommodating and I thanked him for that. 🤗

Others should learn from this.
If you have an image of the finished job, make your wishes clear because the installer will invariably do what's easiest rather than best.
My vision was to have no exposed cabling on the outside of my house so I made that clear up front and it was installed accordingly. It would not have been done that way if the installer was left to his own devices.

Others should learn from this.
If you have an image of the finished job, make your wishes clear because the installer will invariably do what's easiest rather than best.
My vision was to have no exposed cabling on the outside of my house so I made that clear up front and it was installed accordingly. It would not have been done that way if the installer was left to his own devices.
If there was a way not to have ANY visible cabling, I would have gone for that option too.

A tip for people (including electricians) that need to drill from inside the house to the outside, through a brick wall.

Please use a small drill bit first, then a medium bit and finally the intended final size.
Doing so will avoid tearing big chunks of bricks off at the output hole. It helps to enlarge the output hole FROM THE OUTSIDE, after the small hole has been achieved from inside.
Also let the tool do its job, not pushing the drill hard. Of course it helps having good sharp bits too. 😅
Yes, you can put a blanking plate over the damaged area but sometimes the chunk of teared brick is just too big.

I have just found out the damage.. 🧐🙄.

Gold Standard is to come through on the mortar joint.
I agree but on his defence, he had to drill from inside outwards as the cable location was quite restricted and the inside wall is plastered, hence the reasoning of using a much smaller diameter drill bit FIRST. Shame as I do have a 60cm by 8mm long drill in the garage. I was trying to give him space, not bothering him on this hot day. He must have used a 20-24mm drill!

Nevermind, looking at the much worse damage on my neighbour's bricks when the builders added the armoured cable for his new loft conversion, mine looks perfect in comparison.

Also let the tool do its job, not pushing the drill hard.
Agreed.
Start by using a small ( 8 - 10 mm ) extension masonry drill, to first establish your exit point.
Ideally this would be produced from the outside of the property first, starting in a cross section of a mortar joint on the brick work outside, this will prevent brick blow out.
However, not many trades will do this, as they are very concerned about blowing any internal plaster work on the inside ( if any ) so they will drill from the inside out, almost guaranteeing face brick blow out straight away.
So once you have your small pilot hole drilled, place a piece of strong tape over the hole and then pass the drill bit back into the hole, when it hits the back of the tape, pull the drill back about 15mm and wrap a small piece of tape around the shank of the drill at this point.
Then before opening up the size of the hole to the next intermediate size, transfer that mark onto the slightly larger drill bit.
Commence by opening up the size of the hole with hammer action until ON until you get close to the mark on the shank of the drill bit, at this point stop drilling and turn OFF the hammer action and ease back on the pressure applied to the rear of the drill, let the drill cut through slowly.
When you break through, repeat the process again with the final finish size drill, to accept the supply cable.
This method will massively reduces the damaged caused to the external brick work.
It's not rocket science, just good working practice.
Would they follow this good practice ?.
NO of course not, just bang a single 15 - 18 mm hole straight through, from the inside out, on full hammer action, using a machine with much more powerful than it is necessary, and by pushing as hard as they can on the back of it !.
Then blow the complete back out of one face brick ( if you are really lucky ).
Oh ......... But don't worry, because before you can see it, they will have applied mastic to one of horrible plastic cover plates, that covers the mess they just made to your brick work.
Time is money and they do NOT intend to take any longer than necessary with running / routing that supply cable.
The wall box mounting, is four holes marked through the back cover, then four holes and four plugs and four screws, pretty hard to get that wrong ???.
To me, the difference between a good neat install and a untidy rough eyesore, is the choice of cable routing, followed by how the holes are produced in the structure of the property and any clipping of the cable.
Rear entering the cable into the wall box ( if possible ) has to be the neatest solution, as any brick work damage caused, can be hidden by the rear case of the wall box.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom