Which Charging Cable To Buy - If Any

bigal

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am picking my new ZS Trophy LR up on Tuesday.

I have already installed a tethered MyAppi charger so am good to go for charging at home

My understanding of charging away from home is that most 50/100kw chargers are also used with tethered cables

So I am asking advice from those who already own a ZS EV which cable should I buy to charge my car outside of the two above scenarios

Or do I not really need one

Thanks
Alan

To be honest Alb I don’t know know
That’s why I am seeking advice from others who have an EV for a while

Only had my car a couple of months and the few times I've charged away from home its been on a tethered rapid charger. With the announcement that Tesco's are starting to charge on their Podpoint chargers I'd be inclined to wait a while to see if you need one(possibly all 7KW untethered chargers will go the same way soon). A V2L cable makes more sense a the moment to me especially with the energy situation as it is at the moment. I bought a charging cable when got the car but don't see it getting used.

I would just get one for peace of mind. You cannot second guess when you might need one but if you don’t have one you could be stuffed at some point in the future. After the cost of the car the outlay is very small.

Agree on the peace of mind thing.

In two years on ownership of my Ioniq 38kwh, I only used mine 3 times.

But 2 of those occasions were critical.

Incidentally, the cable is included with Hyundai!

I have already installed a tethered MyAppi charger so am good to go for charging at home

My understanding of charging away from home is that most 50/100kw chargers are also used with tethered cables

So I am asking advice from those who already own a ZS EV which cable should I buy to charge my car outside of the two above scenarios

Thanks
Alan
I got this

MAX GREEN EV/Electric Vehicle Car & Plug-in Hybrid Charging Cable Type 2 to Type 2, | 32Amp | Max Output Power 7.2KW | Single Phase | 5 Meters |​

I use it where there is free charging eg Costco, council car parks, Supermarkets, NT and English Heritage sites etc etc. I dont go to these places in order to charge but If I am there and there is free charging then I do it, even if its only 3 kw.

You may get to a rapid and it is in use but has a type2 connection too so you could use that to get a bit of charge in until your next stop.

I have used AC charging away from home 4 times in nearly 6 Years of owning EV’s. It depends on your lifestyle and predicted travel. Even though I have seldom used it, it is nice to have a type 2 in your car just in case you can’t use a rapid and need to top up on an AC. On some cars that I have owned it was provided as part of the deal - the MG ZS for example came with one.

I use my type 2 cable on the free Pod-Point chargers at Tesco when Her Indoors goes shopping. Can't beat a bit of free fuel. :)
This is the one I went with.

I use my type 2 cable on the free Pod-Point chargers at Tesco when Her Indoors goes shopping. Can't beat a bit of free fuel. :)
This is the one I went with.
Well make the most of it as you will have to pay after the 15 minutes grace period is up☹

I bought a Type 2 public charging cable, when we first bought our ZS EV Gen1 and we have used it about 5 times in first two years.
We have a tethered wall box at home, so it is not needed there either !.
As we now own a ZS EV LR model, it's is likely to get used even less now.
So, do I regret buying it and therefore, was it a waste of money ?.
HELL NO - I have no regrets at all buying it.
It's a little like having the safe guard of carrying a spare wheel kit.
You hope never to have to use it, but when you need it, you need it !.
It can be a total god's send !.
A lot of super markets / shopping centres / car parks / public buildings etc, now tend to have A/C posts that can help you out of a jam.
You could be caught short of range on long journey, due to a diversion etc etc.
Imagine, you locate a charging post close by and you then pull up to find it is free to use, but you don't have your own cable !.
NOW all of a sudden, you are heard whispering these words :-
"I should have bought a charging lead !".
YEP - You should have !.

Last edited:
In our 4 months of ownership, we used the cable twice, both instances where because we "wandered" a bit from where there were fast chargers.

One of these times we were down to 10% and there was this 11Kw chargepoint (Europe, 3 phase charger) at a supermarket we needed to go, to stock up on supplies for the cottage we rented. We spent an hour in the supermarket, and added about 14% to the car in that hour, which meant that we were able to go on small trips for the rest of that holiday, and a couple of days before we went home, we did a 30 kilometer trip to an amusement part, they had 11 KW chargers as well, and since we spent the whole day there, the car was completely charged when we had to go home. Those 11Kw chargepoints did have cables though.

I would say the Type 2 cable is kind of like the jumper cables that you might have carried in the old ICE car, they are not used a lot, but when you have a flat battery, stranded somewhere, it is pretty nice to have it.

I got type 2 7kWh cable and I use it at least 4 or 5 times a week outside of my own house.

My gym is outside tesco I get 1h30min of charging there that pretty much makes my cost of the gym free. My work is near other tesco in different town I charge there most days which between gym and work charging means I almost never charge at home.

Other than that type 2 is good for ant linger travels. Most places that have chargers have slow chargers since if you drive to say a zoo with free charging for a day this charging will require type 2 cable. We went to London in a summer pretty much used up 90% of a battery. Stopped at hotel and charged for free over night to full. This means hotel was at half price because otherwise I would have to pay on rapid charger.

My rule is ABC Aleays be charging. If I stop anywhere and they have a charger I charge it even if I am at 80% and charging to 90% it's worth it if it's free. It's even worth it if the cost is slightly more than my house because that way I never worry about range car is almost always full or charging

I lent my Zoe’s cable to an MG owner at a Warners Hotel earlier this year. He had arrived with almost no charge left, to find that the chargers are type two untethered.
When I collected it he told me he’d ordered one, wouldn’t be caught out again, and gave me a bottle of wine as a thank you 👍

You can find used ones on places like ebay that are a bit cheaper. I deliberately went untethered at home so I could carry the cable to cover all options. Have since bought a nearly new 2m type 2 in addition to the 10m need at home which is convenient for destination chargers close to the parking bay.

Thanks
Alan
I bought one off eBay, it is Hyundai branded but works fine on my MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom