Which Charging Cable To Buy - If Any

I am picking my new ZS Trophy LR up on Tuesday.

I have already installed a tethered MyAppi charger so am good to go for charging at home

My understanding of charging away from home is that most 50/100kw chargers are also used with tethered cables

So I am asking advice from those who already own a ZS EV which cable should I buy to charge my car outside of the two above scenarios

Or do I not really need one

Thanks
Alan
My MG5 came with two cables, one for CCS which I use both with my Zappi and when charging elsewhere (mostly at Tesco Podpoint), and a granny cable which I use at my son's house, plugged in to a 13a socket in his garage, for a top up when we go visit (he's 100 miles away). I suspect you will also have the same two cables.

I use my type 2 cable on the free Pod-Point chargers at Tesco when Her Indoors goes shopping. Can't beat a bit of free fuel. :)
This is the one I went with.
Except that, as of 1/11/22, Podpoint at Tesco will no longer be free. 😢.

My MG5 came with two cables, one for CCS which I use both with my Zappi and when charging
I think you mean type 2 cable ccs is the one with bit added for DC charging
Screenshot_20221029_135528_edit_1079405827907169.jpg

Last edited:
I stayed at a caravan site in Borth West Wales in the summer and they had a 7Kw charger so if I had not had a cable I would not have been able to use it and would have had to drive into Aberystwyth to charge up. Buy a cable it’s always handy to have. Sometimes you go to services and all the fast chargers are in use. You can at least get some charge on a 7Kw one.

Trophy connect came with type 2 and a 13A cable. Double check what your car comes with. Pretty much all chargers over 40kw will have a CCS a chademo and a type 2 tether. Can only get 7kw from the type 2 though.

This is the one I have. 7.4kw and 10m length. I have a 2020 though but will be the same for the new ones

I have already installed a tethered MyAppi charger so am good to go for charging at home

My understanding of charging away from home is that most 50/100kw chargers are also used with tethered cables

So I am asking advice from those who already own a ZS EV which cable should I buy to charge my car outside of the two above scenarios

Thanks
Alan
The price of them is to be honest outrageous, keep an eye open on ebay/gumtree etc, I picked a brand new type2 for £50 from a 'product tester' who didn't even have an ev!!, as others have said rarely used but piece of mind

Thanks
Alan
The high voltage chargers are CCS plugs which have 2 more pins

Hi in answer (or possible further question) to this I have looked at an uprated cable as I can see the 22kw chargers i usebpocally do not deliver charging even near 7kw but the literature I can find seems to suggest that it is the zs can only charge above this speed on ccs chargers so buying the 3 phade lead as below
Screenshot_20221029-201046_eBay.jpg
would seem a waste of money unless anyone here can advise if that is incorrect?

That looks like a single phase cable.
You can only get a few 3 phase MG4 cars in the UK so you dont need a 3 phase cable for your ZS.
CCS chargers are DC straight to the battery so rapid.

That looks like a single phase cable.
You can only get a few 3 phase MG4 cars in the UK so you dont need a 3 phase cable for your ZS.
CCS chargers are DC straight to the battery so rapid.
That is listed as a 3 phase cable! But I perhaps never included enough information ,as I had said it wouldn't appear to be of any use (to me with a 72plate ZS long range although it has the vehicle to load capability same at the mg4 )as the ZS doesn't appear to be able to charge above 7kwh unless the 72 plate lr has been uprated so the standard lead included and the on board system don't appear to allow it to charge above 7kw unless on ccs ( at any chargers I have been to so far its wanting to take 6 ish hrs from 50% so average of 6kwh charging rate when connected to a 22kw charger so really looking to find out if anyone here has any new information or experience cheers

Last edited:
Hi in answer (or possible further question) to this I have looked at an uprated cable as I can see the 22kw chargers i usebpocally do not deliver charging even near 7kw but the literature I can find seems to suggest that it is the zs can only charge above this speed on ccs chargers so buying the 3 phade lead as below View attachment 12253would seem a waste of money unless anyone here can advise if that is incorrect?
The type 2 is an ac cable. Uses the onboard charger they only does 6.6kw ish. Supposedly new ZS can charge up to 90 kw on DC (CCS). Most I've used is around 40kw at free charge points.

Am I not right in thinking that the 22 zs came with 2 cables as standard,I did aft to ask the dealer for my type 2 cable that he had hid in his drawer,needless to say if you don't ask you don't get remember there £200 that's what he said

You get just a granny with an MG unless you bought on the Affinity Scheme or just got one thrown in as part of you deal.
The MG4 had a type2 with it as they couldn't get the granny leads in time for shipping.

The type 2 is an ac cable. Uses the onboard charger they only does 6.6kw ish. Supposedly new ZS can charge up to 90 kw on DC (CCS). Most I've used is around 40kw at free charge points.
Yes I am aware it can charge at those speeds on ccs ( ac and dc combined hence Combined Charging System ) some other countries apparently have onboard 11kw ac chargers I saw the thread and thought I would see if there was a point to buying the 3 phase charging lead as I wasn't sure if the dealer supplied ac lead was limiting ac charging

Yes I am aware it can charge at those speeds on ccs ( ac and dc combined hence Combined Charging System ) some other countries apparently have onboard 11kw ac chargers I saw the thread and thought I would see if there was a point to buying the 3 phase charging lead as I wasn't sure if the dealer supplied ac lead was limiting ac charging

The pins in the car will be the give it away if 2 are missing than is single phase so 3 phase cable is just extra weight
there is no combined charging it is AC or DC it don't do both at same time
IMG_20221105_180326_edit_46297180570538.jpg

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom