Which tyre pressure sensor ?

schwede133

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,
I want to buy winter tyres online. But I do not know, which tire pressure sensor is build in the orignal tyres.
Do someone know, which sensor I can use?

Hello,
I want to buy winter tyres online. But I do not know, which tire pressure sensor is build in the orignal tyres.
Do someone know, which sensor I can use?
Do are you meaning you're wanting to buy a 2nd set of wheels to put winter tyres on, then swap the wheels as the weather changes?

Or are you just wanting a set of winter tyres to fit? If it's the 2nd option, just purchase an appropriately sized set of tyres, and get your local garage to fit them. Just make sure you put the wheels back in the same corners they started on, or you may get mixed up with tyre pressures on the monitor.

If it's the first option, I believe Mike Procter fitted a full 2nd set of wheels and tyres with pressure sensors, but he needed to get the sensors coded to the car, or the monitor wouldn't work.

I want a second set of tyres, winter tyres. So I need coded tyre pressure sensors, or universal sensors, which can be coded to a MG ZS EV.

I want a second set of tyres, winter tyres. So I need coded tyre pressure sensors, or universal sensors, which can be coded to a MG ZS EV.
As said before if you just want tyres, just swap over the current sensors as you change the tyres on the current wheels..

If you want whole new replacement wheels and tyres, so that you have 2 sets of wheels/tyres, you will need new additional sensors.

Hi now I do not understand this at all but do you have to have sensors fitted well I suppose for the car to give a reading on the dash you do, but in 58 years of driving this MG 5 and my previous car a skoda superb estate are the only cars I have ever had that has this kind of reading for the tyre pressures.

I have always use a pencil type tyre pressure gauge to check my tyres and still do today once or twice a month, no need for the car to show me what the tyre pressure are so if you just put wheels on with a normal valve in them you would just lose the read out on the dash is that right or not I do not know ?

Also it’s been said wheels when new tyres are fitted the wheels need to go back on the same corners, so in that case what the hell happens if I rotate my wheels on my car? Plus a few months back I needed new front tyres for my skoda and the tyre shop told me it better to put the new tyres on the rear of the car so took the rears off and put them on the front and then put the new ones on the rear I have been using the same tyre shop for 30 odd years and have totally trust in them

A few weeks back on my MG5 I had a puncture and after it was repaired and put back on the car the screen was not giving a reading on that corner for a very short distance but then reset itself within a few minutes I think the same would apply if you replaced the wheels with a second set wouldn’t it,
as I said at the beginning of this I don’t understand the system and I am open to correction
Les

Last edited:
Ok, I unserstand you. But I am not sure, if I will put tyres without tpms, the infotainment display will send an error. And I do not know, this error occure continously....

Ok, I unserstand you. But I am not sure, if I will put tyres without tpms, the infotainment display will send an error. And I do not know, this error occure continously....
Hi best bet have a talk with your dealer first or I know that Miles Roberts has swooped his wheels and tyres round a few times or as already mentioned Mike Procter has also changed his wheels so maybe they can advise you better
Les

Personal choice, if I was fitting winter tyres (which I'm guessing would be on the car for several months at a time) and I have somewhere to store tyres/wheels when they're off the car (which I'm guessing you most likely do, given your original question) I'd buy the replacement tyres, get my friendly local mechanic to fit them, and then repeat whenever the tyres need changing. Certainly less expensive than sourcing new wheels and sensors. And I believe the sensors would require to be coded to the car whenever you swapped wheels anyway.

I used this one
Autel MX-sensor 433Mhz Programmabable Universal TPMS Sensor

have the data read out from the on-board computer, which uses data to program the new Mx sensor.
put the new wheels back in the right place and you're done

I used this one
Autel MX-sensor 433Mhz Programmabable Universal TPMS Sensor

have the data read out from the on-board computer, which uses data to program the new Mx sensor.
put the new wheels back in the right place and you're done

Hi Pecari, would you be kind to explain where to get the sensors ID codes from the on-board computer ?

so in that case what the hell happens if I rotate my wheels on my car?
In a word, NO you can’t Les.
MG uses a crazy TPMS system, where by the car is coded with the precise location of each of the wheels on the car.
So, if you wish to conduct a wheel / tyre rotation, you need to reset the coding of the car after that procedure !.
This is NOT the case with VAG cars, when you rotate the wheels, it excepts that position change straight away.
With the MG system, if you replaced the both front tyres for example and the wheels where fitted to the very same location as when removed, then this would be fine.
Cross the wheels over and the car would complain by displaying a fault code on the dash.
It’s a absolutely stupid idea in my opinion.
It offers no flexibility at all to the customer to carry out a simple wheel rotation without requiring dealer intervention.
Arrhhhh …….. Now I get it !.
Another visit to the dealer is required.

In a word, NO you can’t Les.
MG uses a crazy TPMS system, where by the car is coded with the precise location of each of the wheels on the car.
So, if you wish to conduct a wheel / tyre rotation, you need to reset the coding of the car after that procedure !.
This is NOT the case with VAG cars, when you rotate the wheels, it excepts that position change straight away.
With the MG system, if you replaced the both front tyres for example and the wheels where fitted to the very same location as when removed, then this would be fine.
Cross the wheels over and the car would complain by displaying a fault code on the dash.
It’s a absolutely stupid idea in my opinion.
It offers no flexibility at all to the customer to carry out a simple wheel rotation without requiring dealer intervention.
Arrhhhh …….. Now I get it !.
Another visit to the dealer is required.
Hi lovemyev WOW that is bloody stupid and thank you for the information in your reply I had no idea as I said in my post, and your dead right it states it in the hand book page 245 after having a good read of said stupid little hand book it’s says on page 24 tyre pressure batteries low so I see now the TPMS sensors must have a small battery in them on VAG cars the tyre pressure systems work via the ABS system I believe you learn something every day can’t say I’m impressed with this idea at all.

love my MG5 but several things have popped up since I have had it that makes me question have I done the right thing buying one won’t ever go back to an ICE car but will I stick with MG and there Terrible customer relations from there head office and some off there dealers they have a lot to improve on
my last 3 cars have all been Skoda’s never had a problem with there service or customer relations and I’m going to book a test drive in the ENYAQ way out my price range but so was the MG at first glance until you look carefully at what’s on offer yeh the MG cars are very good valve but the Accessories
Are dam expensive and of poor quality IMHO and back up is borderline according to many on the forums who have experienced problems and the way they have been treated
So thanks again for your info very helpful
Les

Hi lovemyev WOW that is bloody stupid and thank you for the information in your reply I had no idea as I said in my post, and your dead right it states it in the hand book page 245 after having a good read of said stupid little hand book it’s says on page 24 tyre pressure batteries low so I see now the TPMS sensors must have a small battery in them on VAG cars the tyre pressure systems work via the ABS system I believe you learn something every day can’t say I’m impressed with this idea at all.

love my MG5 but several things have popped up since I have had it that makes me question have I done the right thing buying one won’t ever go back to an ICE car but will I stick with MG and there Terrible customer relations from there head office and some off there dealers they have a lot to improve on
my last 3 cars have all been Skoda’s never had a problem with there service or customer relations and I’m going to book a test drive in the ENYAQ way out my price range but so was the MG at first glance until you look carefully at what’s on offer yeh the MG cars are very good valve but the Accessories
Are dam expensive and of poor quality IMHO and back up is borderline according to many on the forums who have experienced problems and the way they have been treated
So thanks again for your info very helpful
Les
Your very welcome @Les burrows .
You are bang on, the VAG TPMS system works in conjunction with the ABS system and is more user friendly when it comes to wheel rotations.
VAG recommend ( and I do support this theory ) that wheel rotation should be carried out every 5,000 miles.
This was done on my previous VAG models without fail.
On the MG this has not been carried out, because of the recoding issue that is required to the TPMS system.
Worth remembering that if and when, you require two new tyres on the front of your car, that the tyre shop refits the same wheel to the same hub on the car !.
If they cross them over, you will get a TPMS warning message on the dash !.
Are you on the Pod Cast on Monday Les ?.
I will be tuning in !.

Hi again lovemyev don’t know as yet anything about the podcast but if there is one why don’t you come on Stuart Wright did put out an open invite for anyone to have a turn on it and the more input the better just contact Stuart
Les

Personally I think tyre rotation is a bit out of date these days. Many tyres are directional so can only be swapped front to back anyway and if you do swap them over you end up buying a full set of tyres at once, whereas if you don't you only buy them in pairs. Swapping fronts to the back and backs to the front would be no problem with the MG TPMS, you just have to remember that the pressures you're reading at the front are the back tyres and vice versa.
I swapped the front tyres to the back when I had a 2010 Prius and the road noise became intolerable, it must've been something to do with the wear pattern, so I swapped them back.

Personally I think tyre rotation is a bit out of date these days. Many tyres are directional so can only be swapped front to back anyway and if you do swap them over you end up buying a full set of tyres at once, whereas if you don't you only buy them in pairs. Swapping fronts to the back and backs to the front would be no problem with the MG TPMS, you just have to remember that the pressures you're reading at the front are the back tyres and vice versa.
I swapped the front tyres to the back when I had a 2010 Prius and the road noise became intolerable, it must've been something to do with the wear pattern, so I swapped them back.
This is the very reason that the VAG group recommend a front to back rotation every 5,000 miles.
The tyre wear on a lot of there cars, suffers from the rear trailing wheels / tyres suffering from a condition called “Stepping or Sword Toothing” across the tread pattern of rear both tyres.
It is a common and well known condition.
The OEM suspension set up is the cause.
Rotating them every 5,000 miles prevents this condition and eliminates the problem getting to the stage, when the tyres start to drone when they are switched around to late.
That is why it is every 5,000 miles.
I agree that tyre rotation will mean that you are replacing ALL four tyres at the same time, but you have to remember that by rotating the tyres they are on the car longer in the first place !.
Which then brings me to the next reason why I believe you should rotate your wheels / tyres.
Tyres today suffer more from side wall cracks than they once did because more silicone is used in their manufacture.
UV is the biggest culprit here.
This could result in the rear tyres getting replacing prematurely, with plenty of thread remaining, due to a MOT failure condition due to side wall cracks.
I hated the OEM Bridgestone’s fitted to my previous car with a passion !.
They where hard, lacked traction and had really bad road noise.
I wanted them all off together, so rotating them enabled me to run them down equally, before finally replacing them ALL four tyres with some decent low noise Good Years.
Each to his / her own I guess 😉.

This is the very reason that the VAG group recommend a front to back rotation every 5,000 miles.
The tyre wear on a lot of there cars, suffers from the rear trailing wheels / tyres suffering from a condition called “Stepping or Sword Toothing” across the tread pattern of rear both tyres.
It is a common and well known condition.
The OEM suspension set up is the cause.
Rotating them every 5,000 miles prevents this condition and eliminates the problem getting to the stage, when the tyres start to drone when they are switched around to late.
That is why it is every 5,000 miles.
I agree that tyre rotation will mean that you are replacing ALL four tyres at the same time, but you have to remember that by rotating the tyres they are on the car longer in the first place !.
Which then brings me to the next reason why I believe you should rotate your wheels / tyres.
Tyres today suffer more from side wall cracks than they once did because more silicone is used in their manufacture.
UV is the biggest culprit here.
This could result in the rear tyres getting replacing prematurely, with plenty of thread remaining, due to a MOT failure condition due to side wall cracks.
I hated the OEM Bridgestone’s fitted to my previous car with a passion !.
They where hard, lacked traction and had really bad road noise.
I wanted them all off together, so rotating them enabled me to run them down equally, before finally replacing them ALL four tyres with some decent low noise Good Years.
Each to his / her own I guess 😉.
I rotated them at 6000 miles on the Prius, there were no visible signs of stepping, just the noise.

Hi Pecari, would you be kind to explain where to get the sensors ID codes from the on-board computer ?
I had the on-board computer read out by the dealer. then you have the correct data
then use the code to program the new Autel MX-Sensor.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom