Which wall charger?

Neil Fellows

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi. First post here! I'm thinking of purchasing an MG5 and unsure as to which wall charger I should opt for. Is there a general consensus on what brands to go for / avoid? And does it make any difference who my energy supplier is as to what box I get?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I have the same question. My circumstances are - bought my very first electric car MG5EV - Getting it next week. I drive 50-100 miles per day (Community doctor) and likely to move house in 1-2 years. Liked Zappi but feels costly for 1-2 years at this house (which does not have solar panels). Considering PodPoint but can't find if it supports 'scheduled charging'. Any advice or suggestions please. Many thanks

I'm getting this one... its small and does the smart app wifi stuff... anyone else got it?

Also switched to Octopus Energy supplier and getting my smart meter fit by then on Friday... then will change to the cheap Octopus Go tariff with cheap overnight charging.

Last edited:
Hi. First post here! I'm thinking of purchasing an MG5 and unsure as to which wall charger I should opt for. Is there a general consensus on what brands to go for / avoid? And does it make any difference who my energy supplier is as to what box I get?

I am using this one and it is working well.

Just looking into getting one after having the car for a month or so. Zappi looks the favourite as Mrs Stoat will be going electric in a few months and we can run them off the same supply. Mind you still waiting for a couple more quotes, so plenty of time for a change of mind yet.

Hi drjat - I've got a Pod Point and it does not support scheduled charging. There's a beta app out for testing with a select few and I think that's one of the features.

I went for Pod Point mainly because of the reliability and, mostly, positive reviews - it also has 'over the air' updates (it's sent out by a central server somewhere) which means I don't need to get an engineer to come out to do the update.

I, too, am looking to move house over the next 2 years so contemplating whether to leave the charger for the new owners of this house, or to take it with me (leaving the wiring).

It's a 7kw untethered unit costing £850 but I got a £350 OLEV grant as well as a £300 Energy Saving Trust grant (only for Scottish residents I'm afraid), so it really only cost me £200. The current app monitors usage so I can see how much I've used each day and my 'history' goes back months and months so it's quite handy.

Cheers

Bloggsy

i have gone for this its smart and its reasonable price plus you dont need a earthing rod

Hi drjat - I've got a Pod Point and it does not support scheduled charging. There's a beta app out for testing with a select few and I think that's one of the features.

I went for Pod Point mainly because of the reliability and, mostly, positive reviews - it also has 'over the air' updates (it's sent out by a central server somewhere) which means I don't need to get an engineer to come out to do the update.

I, too, am looking to move house over the next 2 years so contemplating whether to leave the charger for the new owners of this house, or to take it with me (leaving the wiring).

It's a 7kw untethered unit costing £850 but I got a £350 OLEV grant as well as a £300 Energy Saving Trust grant (only for Scottish residents I'm afraid), so it really only cost me £200. The current app monitors usage so I can see how much I've used each day and my 'history' goes back months and months so it's quite handy.

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thank you for your reply, I'll take a look at the Pod Point and see what they do. Shame I don't live in Scotland!

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thanks.
Anybody else can kindly share thoughts on Rolec vs PodPoint vs Zappi. Looking for tethered option, scheduled charging and reasonably priced. Will be using for 1-2 years and then moving house.
Appreciate people taking time to help each other in this forum. Regards

I'm getting this one... its small and does the smart app wifi stuff... anyone else got it?

Also switched to Octopus Energy supplier and getting my smart meter fit by then on Friday... then will change to the cheap Octopus Go tariff with cheap overnight charging.

Good option but I think tethered is a lot more convenient (I guess you will need to buy Type 2 cable in addition which will be £160-170ish).

Thanks.
Anybody else can kindly share thoughts on Rolec vs PodPoint vs Zappi. Looking for tethered option, scheduled charging and reasonably priced. Will be using for 1-2 years and then moving house.
Appreciate people taking time to help each other in this forum. Regards
Please don't bother with Rolex, they are junk.

Please don't bother with Rolex, they are junk.
If I had reassurance that PodPoint will support Scheduled (timed) Charging then I would go for them. Otherwise Zappi seems to be the only option for my circumstances - but costly
I do see that PodPoint are rolling out beta for scheduled charging - considering it vs Zappi.
Would people recommend getting the £39 lock for PodPoint? (I live in a fairly low crime area but go overseas for a few weeks every year) (can PodPoint be deactivated to prevent use when I might be away for few days/weeks?)

Last edited:
I've had a Zappi for a few days. It also has inbuilt protection against earth faults so you don't need an earth rod. That can save quite a bit on the install. I also have a small 60 Amp fuse in the house. It monitors the household usage so that we don't exceed the fuse rating which is good as we are running a heat pump in the winter. I also worked out of the box with the MG5 with no problems starting/stopping charges that I have noticed. I tried a few different scenarios and it restarted charging each time. I'm loving the ability to just change the charging timings inside the house rather than trying to remember when parking.

I’ve had my ZS EV for two weeks now and I had the ohmi charger fitted. It’s tethered and only the cable hangs outside. The main body is inside the garage. Very convenient and the app does it all. Recommend it.

Had Zappi installed a week ago. No complaints. Super simple to use and ready for any green energy installation the future. Looks really neat also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-230132_Samsung ApexService.jpg
    Screenshot_20210302-230132_Samsung ApexService.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

EO mini pro 2, all the way and all day long. discreet, three different settings to change and/or mix and match at a touch on the app, works 100% Will work with Solar with an additional fitting which we did not bother having. The off peak times (auto set when you input your supplier details) are enough each day (plugin any time and it will start at the time set.

What would you go for between these:
Wallbox Pulsar Plus Tethered Unit 7.4kw for £499 (fully installed)
Vs
Zappi Tethered Unit 7.2kw with CT Clamp for £799 (fully installed)

PS: moving house in 1-2 years. Driving 50-100 miles per day. Do not have solar panels. Only want tethered option. Both units support Scheduled Charging. Struggling to find Wallbox reviews with MG5EV but lot of positive reviews for Zappi.
£300 is a fair bit of difference but is it worth it?
What would you suggest please?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom