Which wall charger?

What would you go for between these:
Wallbox Pulsar Plus Tethered Unit 7.4kw for £499 (fully installed)
Vs
Zappi Tethered Unit 7.2kw with CT Clamp for £799 (fully installed)

PS: moving house in 1-2 years. Driving 50-100 miles per day. Do not have solar panels. Only want tethered option. Both units support Scheduled Charging. Struggling to find Wallbox reviews with MG5EV but lot of positive reviews for Zappi.
£300 is a fair bit of difference but is it worth it?
What would you suggest please?
Can I ask what website you got the £499 option from? That's a really good price

Can I ask what website you got the £499 option from? That's a really good price
The cost is actually £350+ but this amount is already deducted due to grant

The above link is their review of Wallbox Pulser Plus

Vs

PS: moving house in 1-2 years. Driving 50-100 miles per day. Do not have solar panels. Only want tethered option. Both units support Scheduled Charging. Struggling to find Wallbox reviews with MG5EV but lot of positive reviews for Zappi.
You can take the charger with you when you move.
Choice? For me an EO mini 2 but for the above the Wallbox: neat & tidy looks good on the wall, more kw, cheaper and from my contacts reliable.

The cost is actually £350+ but this amount is already deducted due to grant

The above link is their review of Wallbox Pulser Plus

Think I will cancel the one I've paid for as its not been scheduled yet and order this from these guys

Vs

The guy who installed My charger today said that the v2 zappl is not as good quality as the v1 he has repaired a few recently

I've had a Zappi for a few days. It also has inbuilt protection against earth faults so you don't need an earth rod. That can save quite a bit on the install. I also have a small 60 Amp fuse in the house. It monitors the household usage so that we don't exceed the fuse rating which is good as we are running a heat pump in the winter. I also worked out of the box with the MG5 with no problems starting/stopping charges that I have noticed. I tried a few different scenarios and it restarted charging each time. I'm loving the ability to just change the charging timings inside the house rather than trying to remember when parking.
So can you plug the car in (say, MG5) and then control the charging from an app? And by the sound of it set when to start/stop charging? If you had an Economy 7 meter, would this allow for cheaper charging overnight? Also, can you see how much the car is charged from inside the house?

Sorry for so many questions ;-)

Vs

So you'll probably be charging every night doing that mileage.

If you don't have a cheap overnight tariff then you can just plug in when you get home and you'll almost certainly have 100% charge the next day - so you won't need scheduled charging.

If you do have a cheap tariff and want to avail of it, you either need to plug it in when cheap or have scheduled charging. The cheap period is also relevant wrt. what you need to charge to i.e you may need to go outside the cheap period to get to 100% at 7kW/h.

Finally, you need to determine the maximum house load and apply the diversity factors - if you've only an 60A supply, then you might need the Zappi's load reduction facility. Your sparks should be able to answer that.

So you'll probably be charging every night doing that mileage.

If you don't have a cheap overnight tariff then you can just plug in when you get home and you'll almost certainly have 100% charge the next day - so you won't need scheduled charging.

If you do have a cheap tariff and want to avail of it, you either need to plug it in when cheap or have scheduled charging. The cheap period is also relevant wrt. what you need to charge to i.e you may need to go outside the cheap period to get to 100% at 7kW/h.

Finally, you need to determine the maximum house load and apply the diversity factors - if you've only an 60A supply, then you might need the Zappi's load reduction facility. Your sparks should be able to answer that.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I will be charging every night. Don't have cheap night tariff yet but planning to get it. House has 100amp supply. Still open to suggestions but getting more inclined towards Wallbox. Regards

See my thread here:

A quick note to say thank you for everyone's input, greatly appreciated. I'll investigate some of these now.

I ordered a BP Pulse Chargemaster unit on 1st Feb and have been waiting for SSE electricity distribution company to contact me to check our supply since 10th Feb. They were chased via email by BP a week ago. I have a 100amp fuse on the house and it was estimated by BP Pulse that we could pull 70amp with everything turned on including charging the car, so as this is over 60amp the house has to be checked by SSE. I will call SSE Connections tomorrow myself to chase. BP Pulse will not install without SSE approval.

Currently charging using a 13a plug by the garage door and at a BP Pulse rapid charger at my local pub. I tried a GeniePoint rapid charger last weekend and got up to 90amp charge rate which was great.

I think this link above is the most reasonable and fair comparison of charger options. Hope it helps someone. I am going ahead and placing the order for Wallbox Pulsar Plus.

I think this link above is the most reasonable and fair comparison of charger options. Hope it helps someone. I am going ahead and placing the order for Wallbox Pulsar Plus.

I've now cancelled my previous order with another company and gone for the Wallbox Pulsar Plus :) cheapest for what it does around

Tomorrow I have an engineer from SSE coming to inspect my main fuse, meter cabinet and to turn the electricity off and on to make sure it is safe for the 7kw charger.

A week on Friday I have an electrical contractor in to install the 32a breaker in the meter cabinet. Then BP Pulse Chargemaster can schedule the engineer to do the install.

All being well tomorrow !

Though since buying the MG 5 at the end of January I have only traveled 350 miles so using the granny charger and 3 rapid charges has been convenient enough. Only benefit of the home charger will be the 5ppkwh when I switch over to Octopus Go and charging in just a few hours. Not keen on the 35ppkwh at the rapid chargers.

Would recommend Wallbox Pulsar Plus without any doubts. It has all the features (except if you have Solar panels - then Zappi) and really good price of £499 from EV Solutions

Had Zappi installed a week ago. No complaints. Super simple to use and ready for any green energy installation the future. Looks really neat also.
Thinking of getting a Zappi fitted but the quotes are very high. OLEV Grantv£350+£300 Energy saving trust grant and they are asking for a further £560 to install 8 meters of cable?

Thinking of getting a Zappi fitted but the quotes are very high. OLEV Grantv£350+£300 Energy saving trust grant and they are asking for a further £560 to install 8 meters of cable?

Wow! :oops: I went with Pod Point. They advertised their 7Kw untethered charger for £850 (including up to 10 metres of cable). Jumping through the hoops for the 2nd grant (you have to pay £500 to Pod Point, then reclaim the £300) it ended up costing me £200 but my cable was over the 10 metres (I'd say it was 12 or 13 metres) and the installer just told me not to worry as Pod Point don't really check, so didn't charge me anything extra. :cool:

I'd seriously consider others, IMHO.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom