White Lines

memg4

Standard Member
Reaction score
How do you stop White Lines notification, and stopping the car deciding what to do, I've got an MG4 Trophy.

You mean the function that tries to keep you in the lane, between the white lines, and twitches the steering wheel? It's called "Lane Assist", often LKA on the forum.

Sit down in the car and wait for the infotainment screen to boot up. Put your foot on the brake and press. This puts the car into Ready mode. Tap on the "car" icon on the infotainment screen. Call up the "MG Pilot" tab . You will see "Lane Assist" there. Turn the bloody thing off! You will get a pop-up asking you to confirm that you really want to do this. (If you don't get that pop-up, it will not actually be turned off.) Tell it you mean it. (You can then turn off the speed limit recognition as well if you want.) The sign that it is off is that the white lines on the driver's screen, in the top left corner, are now yellow.

The wrinkle to remember is that it resets and defaults to "on" every time you sit down in the seat, so every time you do that, you have to go through the routine of turning it off again. It soon becomes second nature.

Some Trophy owners report that it turns itself on again while you are driving, if the infotainment screen switches between light and dark modes (either automatically or manually). This doesn't happen in the SE though so I'm not sure. If yours is doing that, it's best to keep the screen on either light or dark permanently.

Last edited:
I think it's in the MG Pilot tab, @Rolfe :)

@memg4 if you also see a steering wheel symbol then that means you have TJA selected (rather than ACC) ... this pulls on the steering wheel to (supposedly) keep the car in the middle of the lane, but can be much more aggressive when it makes a mistake re. line detection. You can turn it off (or choose ACC instead) in the same MG Pilot menu.

I think it's in the MG Pilot tab, @Rolfe :)

@memg4 if you also see a steering wheel symbol then that means you have TJA selected (rather than ACC) ... this pulls on the steering wheel to (supposedly) keep the car in the middle of the lane, but can be much more aggressive when it makes a mistake re. line detection. You can turn it off (or choose ACC instead) in the same MG Pilot menu.

Sorry, you're right, I'll edit the post.

Thanks for this info. Due to the condition of the roads locally the Lane assist constantly makes mistakes and pulls on the steering wheel unnecessarily. It's driving me crazy so I'll give it a try.

I took my car on a joyride the day after I bought it. I stopped half way and investigated how to turn the Lane Assist off, and did it. It's never been back on since. One think I do not require of a car is that it tries to steer itself.

I took my car on a joyride the day after I bought it. I stopped half way and investigated how to turn the Lane Assist off, and did it. It's never been back on since. One think I do not require of a car is that it tries to steer itself.
If I wanted a car that steered itself, I would've taken a taxi. ;)

I also have an MG 4 trophy and I learnt early on how to turn this off. The trouble is I have to turn it off every time I get in the car again. It doesn’t remember either this or manual speed limit setting. Really annoying.

Legal requirement for all new cars to get their NCAP safety approval rating. I'm afraid we just have to get used to turning it off.
Thanks, but very frustrating! Still learning about the car… Very complicated! But I do like it, very much, especially the colour – Holborn Blue. Very striking.

Which type mg4 do you have , mine requires the switch off every time i sit down in it (even if I leave it on at short stops) :( , it is a nice car to drive but the horrible help makes it less enjoyable

Ciao, bart Belgium MG4 Standard

I had same with MG ZS EV (1st gen), but now an MG5. For both I could disable via the menu (settings ).

Which type mg4 do you have , mine requires the switch off every time i sit down in it (even if I leave it on at short stops) :( , it is a nice car to drive but the horrible help makes it less enjoyable

Ciao, bart Belgium MG4 Standard

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It hasn't been back on because I turn it off every time I sit down (unless I'm only driving the car out of the garage into the drive or something like that). I won't have a car moving my steering wheel for me, end of. It only takes a moment to turn it off, although having said that I'd like a physical off button anyway.

I had same with MG ZS EV (1st gen), but now an MG5. For both I could disable via the menu (settings ).
and with yours disabling lasts over restarts ? which version is the software ?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It hasn't been back on because I turn it off every time I sit down (unless I'm only driving the car out of the garage into the drive or something like that). I won't have a car moving my steering wheel for me, end of. It only takes a moment to turn it off, although having said that I'd like a physical off button anyway.
I suffer the same turnoff all assist each restart cause I want to keep speed control

I've re-calibrated my procedure for setting off in the car. Instead of "get in, put key in ignition, turn key, move off, set temperature and heated seats how I want them (as I pull away)", I stop for less than a minute to make sure all the car's systems are how I want them for the journey. That includes turning off Lane Assist and the speed limit recognition, setting the climate control to how I'm likely to want it, and deciding whether I'm going radio or USB music.

I tend to leave regeneration and driving mode alone, but if I wanted to change these I'd do it at the same time. I've decided it's silly to fret about the time it takes, because it's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back