• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Who owns what?

Which car do you have?

• I have an MG5 Trophy Facelift.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • I have an MG5 SE Facelift.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I have ordered and waiting for an MG5 Trophy Facelift.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I have ordered and waiting for an MG5 SE Facelift.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have the pre-Facelift MG5

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • I have ordered and waiting for a pre-Facelift MG5

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • MG 5 Standard Range Excite

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • MG 5 Standard Range Exclusive

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • MG 5 Long Range Excite

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • MG 5 Long Range Exclusive

Votes: 28 27.5%

• Total voters
Excite LR , Had since 30th September
30B86F27-63EE-402B-81B5-68429E785D83.jpeg

Does anyone know whether MG are going to build anymore pre-facelift models? My dealer is continuing to say I will get my pre-facelift, but it still hasn't got a build date and they have no idea if/ when this will change.

I very much doubt it. The facelift directly replaces it.

MG dont do build slots/dates , they batch manufacture. The only way you get a pre facelift is if it's in transit or waiting dockside for finishing with a radio or some other missing part.

Got fed up waiting and cancelled the order as it still has not hit the production line.

I didn't get a choice as it was through a work scheme. Ended up buying something else.

MG5 SE ordered as company car in December 2022. Quoted 16 weeks for the 5 SE or 42weeks(!) for ZS EV LR.

Current estimated delivery mid April. Dealers seem awash with Trophy spec which is frustrating.

Was tempted by Trophy but reduced range (from the bigger wheels?) pushed me to SE. I remember getting a Qashqai with free downgrade to smaller wheels for lower CO2 and reduction in BIK.

Very excited to join the EV club.

MG5 SE ordered as company car in December 2022. Quoted 16 weeks for the 5 SE or 42weeks(!) for ZS EV LR.

Current estimated delivery mid April. Dealers seem awash with Trophy spec which is frustrating.

Was tempted by Trophy but reduced range (from the bigger wheels?) pushed me to SE. I remember getting a Qashqai with free downgrade to smaller wheels for lower CO2 and reduction in BIK.

Very excited to join the EV club.
I know the wheels are so annoying I would much rather have the ZS wheels and distance lol

It's a 15 mile theoretical difference in WLTP. In the real world, people are mostly comparing the Trophy against the pre-facelift models. I have seen almost no real world reports from a facelift SE. I would be surprised if the difference between the two is dramatic -- I would imagine that the real difference is pre-facelift to post-facelift (and also the fact that the pre-facelift has been around a while but the facelift cars only started to be available anywhere during the winter has skewed the "belief" of the range a little). I could be wrong, but there's my take on it.

It's a 15 mile theoretical difference in WLTP. In the real world, people are mostly comparing the Trophy against the pre-facelift models. I have seen almost no real world reports from a facelift SE. I would be surprised if the difference between the two is dramatic -- I would imagine that the real difference is pre-facelift to post-facelift (and also the fact that the pre-facelift has been around a while but the facelift cars only started to be available anywhere during the winter has skewed the "belief" of the range a little). I could be wrong, but there's my take on it.
Just checked the MG website:

SE has 16" Alloy Wheel 205/60 R16 with Aero Cover
Trophy has 17" Alloy Wheel 215/50 R17

Bigger heavier wheels with wider tyres do not increase performance!

Just checked the MG website:

SE has 16" Alloy Wheel 205/60 R16 with Aero Cover
Trophy has 17" Alloy Wheel 215/50 R17

Bigger heavier wheels with wider tyres do not increase performance!

Yes, they don't increase performance, I didn't say that they do ;-) I just don't think that they make such a huge difference as is being seen between Trophy owners and older model owners (see my real world trophy mileage MG5 Trophy Real World Consumption Thread thread).

That said, according to this review James and Kate plan to test their MG5 Trophy on 16" wheels at some point, so we will have a real world comparison -- I look forward to their results! If it really makes a huge difference then this could be a useful mod for some people :)

I'm not sure if many, if any at all SEs have been delivered yet, the first batches have been all Trophy.

In simple terms though a WLTP of 250 miles gives a miles/kWh of 4.33 whereas 235 miles gives 4.07, so a difference of .26 m/kWh. Maybe not dramatic, but obvious on the dashboard.

Last edited:
James and Kate plan to test their MG5 Trophy on 16" wheels at some point, so we will have a real world comparison -- I look forward to their results! If it really makes a huge difference then this could be a useful mod for some people

On a Mk1 Nissan LEAF downsizing from the Tekna 215/50 17 to the Acenta 205/55 16 makes a huge difference, around 5% with the same model and brand of tyres. Admittedly based on a sample of 1, and with Goodyear EfficientGrip. It may be different for others.

It's impossible to say whether it's the reduced diameter / increased sidewall or the reduced width although I suspect the latter. On the LEAF the ride is also improved and the trade off in grip irrelevant. Oh, and being tight the tyres cost considerably less but that's mainly because there's a greater market for the smaller size.

Someone was making the same point in a Facebook group about the bigger wheels on the trophy so I did some calculations and the actual difference in running circumference is minimal:

There's actually very little difference in total circuference between the two due to the bigger wheels having lower profile tyres. The actual circumference of the 16" wheel is 80.7" whereas the 17" wheels circumference is 80". This means that the 17" wheels have 792 revolutions per mile compared to 785.2 for the 16's. Although this will make a bit of difference I think its probably a combination of that and some of the additional features adding to the weight which is responsible.

Delivered to me last Tuesday. Lease company couldn’t get any SE trim so ended up with a Trophy (that has a lower monthly lease.)

I love it!

400miles in and all good. Loving the acceleration to join motorways and showing up boy racers.

MG pilot is very risk averse - far too sensitive.

IMG_0249.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom