Who still uses old driving methods?

I feel like this is imperial and metric all over again, the auto gearbox way was likely a mechanical necessity like imperial stuff being based on physical things. Embrace the new and logical metric driven selection 😊

I don't like the rotary switch that goes from reverse neutral and drive. I do have to be careful when I select reverse or drive, I still check I am going the way I want! I would prefer a lever gear, push for forward and pull back for reverse.

I very occasionally look for a gear stick, and also a key to start up...

An age thing probably..:)

Certainly in my car I have a stalk from the steering column its a finger touch up for reverse and down for drive

I don't like the rotary switch that goes from reverse neutral and drive. I do have to be careful when I select reverse or drive, I still check I am going the way I want! I would prefer a lever gear, push for forward and pull back for reverse.

I very occasionally look for a gear stick, and also a key to start up...

An age thing probably..:)
The car shows you what gear it's in on the display and lit up in front of the selector. ;)

It is very illogical when you think about it, I can't think why it would be forward for reverse and vice versa.

Using traditional automatic gear selectors, you pull it back to engage drive and lower gears and push it forward to engage reverse. It’s probably mirroring that muscle memory.

Why it was like that in the first place I don’t know. Maybe gearbox design, maybe you have more control pulling rather than pushing so you can select the right gear. Maybe something else entirely.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back