Whose charge port door has snapped off?

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Before I bought my ZS EV I devoured as many of the reviews I could (and still do, even though I now have way more driving experience than the reviewers who have it for a day or even a week). I was pleasantly surprised, and ultimately convinced to buy, by the near unanimous praise and recommendations.

The only things that stood out were some of the quibbles that kept coming up from multiple reviewers. The 'scratchy plastic' on the doors (yeah nah, I can live with that), the slow satnav (Android and Apple to the rescue) and lack of 'feel' in the steering (not even sure what that means). But the one that they nearly all went for was the prediction that the charge port door would certainly snap off after a couple of uses.

I'm pleased to report mine hasn't yet (and I admit to having driven off with it open on three occasions :rolleyes:) and I wonder if any other owners have had any problem with it. I've not seen anything on the forum yet and am puzzled why so many reviewers were so scathing.

No mine is good. I was closing mine in the dark after charging at home and forgot to put rubber cap back on, and kept trying to shut charging door, then realised why it wouldn't shut.
No harm done, sturdier then it looks.

I think that it gives the impression that it might be vulnerable and it’s more of a guess from the reviewers. I’ve had no issues - I sometimes have to close it twice to get it to shut but it seems fine. Time will tell - I think that should it break it would be easy enough to fix anyway?

Before I bought my ZS EV I devoured as many of the reviews I could (and still do, even though I now have way more driving experience than the reviewers who have it for a day or even a week). I was pleasantly surprised, and ultimately convinced to buy, by the near unanimous praise and recommendations.

The only things that stood out were some of the quibbles that kept coming up from multiple reviewers. The 'scratchy plastic' on the doors (yeah nah, I can live with that), the slow satnav (Android and Apple to the rescue) and lack of 'feel' in the steering (not even sure what that means). But the one that they nearly all went for was the prediction that the charge port door would certainly snap off after a couple of uses.

I'm pleased to report mine hasn't yet (and I admit to having driven off with it open on three occasions :rolleyes:) and I wonder if any other owners have had any problem with it. I've not seen anything on the forum yet and am puzzled why so many reviewers were so scathing.
I haven’t heard of these snapping off, but my only comment would be when closing give it a little tug to make sure it’s secured when closed before driving off, just check the catch has seated fully. If you feel under the bottom of the Logo there is a finger hold to pull and test it’s locked in place..

Also, no issues.

My opinion is that non-owners think it's different to other EVs so must be inferior. I don't think that's the case.

Could do with a light though.

No problems here but as someone else said we've not been using it very much with restrictions /staying local, Definitely agree with the car needing a light in there, Even with the garage lights on It's hard to see the plug hole, I'll have to sort something out.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The only things that stood out were some of the quibbles that kept coming up from multiple reviewers. The 'scratchy plastic' on the doors (yeah nah, I can live with that), the slow satnav (Android and Apple to the rescue) and the lack of 'feel' in the steering (not even sure what that means). But the one that they nearly all went for was the prediction that the charge port door would certainly snap off after a couple of uses.

Had the car since mid-December, have driven it with the flap open😂😂, cleaning the car today, I was charging it( not using water⚡⚡⚡) went to clean inside the flap and noticed a rubber bung sitting in a space in the charging bay, this was supposed to be on the left side of of the charging bay, there is one at each end to stop the flap twisting when it is closed it had obviously not been fitted at the factory and left in the charging bay, there does seem to be a lot of little things that seem to get missed.

It is not very practical, but not heard of any issues.

I got one of these, works pretty well, fits in ok:
I fitted something similar but you push in the light dome to switch it on and off, I was a bit worried if I fitted a motion sensor one it would switch on when someone passed the car in a car-park😂😂

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve survived over fifty years fiddling with caps and keys in all weathers and light situations pouring extremely expensive fluids into filler caps. So I carry a wee head torch costing a couple of pounds in case it’s needed some dark night in the snow. It fits fine in the door pocket and I’ve not needed it yet in 13 months and three and a half thousand miles of driving my delightful ZS.

I’m sorry the ori post was about the charge port door potentially breaking. I got carried away with the lighting issue. I’ve had no problems with the flap at all.

No problem with my charge port door, despite forgetting to close it after charging at Gloucester services and then 25 miles down the M5.....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom