Why do we get get fleeced in the UK

Nerdy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Seem like all these new cars are better specced in Europe than the UK. MG4, Niro EV, Mégane eTech just to name a few.

Who is to blame?

The idiot in respective UK headquarters who decides what the UK population wants/needs?

Brexit

Or the manufacturers thinks we are 3rd grade citizens?

Seem like all these new cars are better specced in Europe than the UK. MG4, Niro EV, Mégane eTech just to name a few.

Who is to blame?

The idiot in respective UK headquarters who decides what the UK population wants/needs?

Brexit

In what way are these cars better speeced than in the UK, would help.

To name just 3 heat pump 11kw chargers and nice and bright interiors I won’t even mention prices
Les
The 11kW chargers are because Europe uses 3 phase we generally don't. The prices have been shown to be very similar after removing the grants available in Europe.

The 11kW chargers are because Europe uses 3 phase we generally don't. The prices have been shown to be very similar after removing the grants available in Europe.
Your quite correct Gomev we don’t generally use 3phase in Domestic situations but out on the road there are many, and an 11 kw 3phase charger will still work on single phase supply if you are charging at home, so it would have been a good thing to have the 11kw unit fitted I think.
Plus when on the road the quicker you can charge the sooner you are on your way and freeing up that charge point for others to use hope you agree.
Les

Manufacturers decide regional variations based on what the market will accept. While the UK continues to accept the specifications on offer they will not change.

There are many 3 phase chargers around - 22KW destination chargers are common, and many of the pod point chargers are 22kW. We are also seeing more domestic 3 phase supplies as many have large solar array or useage peaks. I don't think the Renault Zoe drivers would be very happy if 3 phase wasn't common in the uk.

Who can take advantage of 22kwhr chargers? What EV’s have the capability to fully utilise these? Are these Renaults? I thought the majority of EV’s had on board chargers capable of 7kwhr and some a maximum 11kwhr?
As far as the UK properties having 3-phase home charging, I would suggest this is an incredible small percentage. That’s not to say that it may expand but at the moment it’s just not there or cost effective or available to install for the potential gains (especially if you charge overnight anyway).
Rapids have been seen as the way forward with charging times now reducing to minutes for many EV’s - that’s up until the cost went through the roof!

Heat Pump is the main one and (at least choice) of interior material/colours.

Smaller infotainment screen in Mégane eTech

Over 40 years married we have had 5 houses and 1 had 3 phase to the DNO head, add in my other family houses and that would be around 1 in 20. Only really remember that because the neighbour lost all power and they had to wire one of the unused phases to his meter. It was supposed to be temporary ("somebody in to sort it in the next day or two") but having solved it the DNO disappeared for 3 weeks.

Trying to explain to the other half that the power wasn't affecting our meter was an uphill struggle.

Re 11kw charger, as said above the UK generally doesn't use 3 phase power in domestic premises.
I'll add that since a vast majority of owners charge at home and a lot of those will never use a public charger, there's no financial reason to fit an 11kw charger. It works for the manufacturer, 7kw is a lot cheaper to install than 11kw just through volume of sales and it technically should work for us as we don't have to pay the premium for capacity we don't use.
Plus 11kw really isn't that much faster than 7kw in real world use, you'd still either have to sit for hours or plug in overnight.

Your quite correct Gomev we don’t generally use 3phase in Domestic situations but out on the road there are many, and an 11 kw 3phase charger will still work on single phase supply if you are charging at home, so it would have been a good thing to have the 11kw unit fitted I think.
Plus when on the road the quicker you can charge the sooner you are on your way and freeing up that charge point for others to use hope you agree.
Les
I do agree Les, but if on the road I would aim for something faster than 11kw, which is not really much quicker then 7kw.
In my book it is a maybe nice to have but would rarely if ever be used, a bit of built in spare capacity.

Trouble is all these 'nice to haves' come at a cost.

Les
Or if you don't have a home charger, 11kw would be fab.

On a non political forum………I blame Johnson for everything.
fear inducing second term (Tory MP’s chomping at the bit to get the fat snake back in power), we deserve all we get.
still at least the idiot Truss announced a 10% increase on my R.A.F Pension "….well at least until the next idiot takes up the Downing Street mantle.

We have as standard here in Thailand 3 Phase domestic supply and MG's are still only 7kw max with the home charger kit that is fitted FOC (ie over 4.5 hrs to charge)

What UK is missing is the full suite of connectivity for the MG app and latest facelifts on the HV's

Last edited:

Who is to blame?

Brexit

Both, sadly.

When I used to buy IT for my job I would look at a new product and see its dollar price on 1st release.

It used to be a fairly accurate guess to say whatever it was in dollars when it did get to the UK a month or so later that would be the price in pounds.

And that was when it was around $1.40 to the £

So it doesn't really matter where it comes from, the rest of the world wants to fleece the UK.

It's absurd to simply compare the cost of an item and say we are being fleeced. Wages are different, housing costs, benefits, social infrastructure, taxes, there are all kinds of variable affecting prices.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom