Why is the internal fuse box so inaccessible?

wandle MG4 trophy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Was this bit of the car designed by the Work Experience boy?

Is MG so confident with its quality that it knows a fuse will never need replacing?

Is it to dissuade DIY retrofitting of accessories eg dash cams so that owners are more likely to go to their dealer? (Unlikely as MG don’t make any after market accessories so owners are more likely to buy and get stuff fitted by Halfords or similar).

Perplexed of Peckham.

Was this bit of the car designed by the Work Experience boy?

Is MG so confident with its quality that it knows a fuse will never need replacing?

Is it to dissuade DIY retrofitting of accessories eg dash cams so that owners are more likely to go to their dealer? (Unlikely as MG don’t make any after market accessories so owners are more likely to buy and get stuff fitted by Halfords or similar).

Perplexed of Peckham.
I tried to get Halfords to fit my new dash cam to our mg4, 15 min after dropping the car at the garage they phoned me to say they could not wire it directly in as none of the fuses disconnected when the car is locked?
I ended up just wiring it myself into the power socket in the front.

I tried to get Halfords to fit my new dash cam to our mg4, 15 min after dropping the car at the garage they phoned me to say they could not wire it directly in as none of the fuses disconnected when the car is locked?
I ended up just wiring it myself into the power socket in the front.
Must have been to the same training sessions as some of the MG fitters. I bet they only looked at the under bonnet fuse box.
There is a thread in the Accessories section where a dash-cam is hard wired into a switched fuse in the cabin fusebox.

The MG4 is not alone as far as fusebox inaccessibility is concerned.
I'd say it was not intended to be accessed by non-trade individuals.
I seem to remember having to remove the glove box and do various contortions to hard wire the dash-cam into my Focus.

My other car is a Focus (Mk2) and the fuse box is in the passenger footwell so easily accessible.

Update - Just remembered that the job did involve removing the glovebox (simple job) but this was necessary to route the cable not to access the fusebox itself.

Last edited:
What if the vehicle has LH steering?
Is the fusebox still on the right side of the car? And so, behind the glovebox?
I think the fuse box is on the same side irrespective of the steering wheel - as no one in their right mind would put it where it currently is for RHD users?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 531 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back