Will AA come out if you ran out of battery?

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
The free AA roadside assistance you get with the MG4, does that include if you ran out of battery and they come out with that mobile charger just to get you enough power to get to a charge point?

If so you never need range anxiety

LV insurance Jan 23

Electric car benefits
l If you run out of charge in the UK we'll recover you to
the nearest charging point. No excess to pay and no
impact on your no claim discount.
l Battery cover for accidental damage, fire and theft
even if you’re leasing it separately from the car
l Cover for accidental damage, fire and theft to your
charging accessories, eg your home charging point(s)
and cables.
l If you choose optional guaranteed hire car benefit, we'll
supply an electric or hybrid hire car, subject to availability.

Plus read this

Last edited:
The free AA roadside assistance you get with the MG4, does that include if you ran out of battery and they come out with that mobile charger just to get you enough power to get to a charge point?

Yes I had that problem and they used a mobile charging pack to drive me to the service centre.

Yes they will take you to the nearest service centre.

Yes I had that problem and they used a mobile charging pack to drive me to the service centre.
If AA do provide that (HV battery boost) then they must be hiding it under a bushel...not advertised currently on their website as a national recovery option

Hybrid and electric vehicle cover from our expert mobile mechanics​

Drive an electric vehicle or hybrid car? Our breakdown cover includes EV and hybrid vehicles, with no extra premium to pay. You'll be reassured to know that our trained experts are on hand to help you at the roadside if you break down. We'll come out whether you drive a hybrid, a plug-in hybrid or a battery electric vehicle.

• Battery run out? We'll tow you to a charging point or your destination – whichever's nearer.
  • Our trusty mechanics are High Voltage Awareness trained – so you're in safe hands.
  • We'll repair all other faults as standard.

The RAC have a certain number of vans that carry onboard chargers.
It’s always a good idea to tell them you are driving an EV at the very start of the phone call conversation, in order to get the correct recovery van.
The AA tend to get you to the nearest charger unit.
L.V. use a third party recovery firm that have some vans equipped with 7Kw chargers to get you to the nearest charging unit.

Hmm. A portable charger on an AA van isnt going to give you much range as i doubt they can carry something with decent capacity.

Expecting to wait an hour for the AA to turn up with a further 20 mins to get 5miles is range is an emergency option not a complacency fallback

The RAC and some other recovery companies, have a 7 kw unit built in to the van that will be driven by a fossil generator.
The 7 Kw unit will add an extra 25 miles of range to the battery for every hour it is on charge, however it will only be used to give the customer enough range to get to the nearest charger.
If the closest charger is long way, then they are likely to recovery the car there instead.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back