• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Will the MG Marvel R come to the UK?

Manufacturers depend on market research data for the business decision. That could explain why MG5 was introduced in UK before Europe. Similarly market research data would have lead to decision regarding MG Marvel R. I find MG fairly eager to introduce new models and sell more cars in UK.
MG has not denied plans to introduce Marvel R in UK. I would not be surprised if they are working on plans to mass produce RHD Marvel R.
My opinion is that MG product strategy in UK is spot on, they have introduced products at price points where there is no competition( budget small SUV and estate EVs).

I doubt if politics are driving these decisions.
LeoRBK, I totally agree with your synopsis of the business decisions taken by MG (SAIC) but you would be totally naive to believe the decisions were not vetted by the CCP. If those business decisions, as logical as they are, had in anyway been contrary to the political aims of the CCP they would not have been allowed. Everything that comes out if China currently is politically skewed.

I thought Longbridge was supposed to be their elite. The one others garages contact when they don't know how to diagnose
Longbridge is the technical centre for MG and is the source of UK technical knowledge & issue investigation.

Certainly 5G connectivity wouldn't tempt me to buy but a 250 miler range would.! Perhaps the powertrain technology will "!trickle down" to an new version of my ZS EV

As for the Dealership. I buy the car not the dealership attitude . With a 24 month service interval and minimal service demand (except any warranty faults) this is a diminishing issue.

Nothing but nothing happens with any Chinese business the CCCP doesn’t support. That is not necessarily a bad or good thing - simply the way it is. Cannot see the Marvel R being engineered for RHD.

I can see what you mean. I work for myself and find it near impossible to farm work out to others for fear of it not meeting my standards too.

To get back on topic slightly, I visited an MG dealer for my first sit inside an MG5 last weekend (I'm not an owner yet). The sales chap was a damp squib. Didn't ask any of the right questions and wasn't in the slightest bit interested in matching my needs. I didn't even manage to set foot inside the dealership before he's trying to work out a part exchange. It frustrated me so much I gave up and left within 5 minutes. Other staff were grouped chatting away inside and it just felt more like Carphone Warehouse than a dealership. Or maybe it felt exactly like a dealership and this is what we've been conditioned to expect.

So that's my first experience of an MG dealership.
That's interesting. I left messages with 3 dealers and only one called back on the day. The second took 2 weeks and the third that I left 2 messages with as they said they had stock didn't call me back at all. If that's how they sell it makes you really worry about after sales. The one that did is the one in baldock that also deals in old mgs. Great experience with genuine old school car people. I wonder if the rest are just plain lazy as the cars are selling themselves. But even Toyota (which I've had 3 cars from over 15 years and great service in the past) gave a service I wasn't happy with so walked away from their hybrid corolla touring sport. Deposit paid and mg5 on its way.

Hi All,
Check out the link above.
The Marvel is here with all the features one would have hope for in the ZS EV. Range 250 miles. But it is not coming to the UK. Why?....some may say it would come to UK eventually.
Seems the new UK post Brexit, China is enemy no. 1 attitude is however turning Chinese firms away to their "bigger Markets" that is EU, Asia in particular India, Africa, Latin America etc...
Well I hope the Marvel makes it here but worried that Brexit and Boris may get in the way.
What do you think will the Marvel grace our streets soon?
Apparently the formal MG position is no plans for Marvel in the UK.
Love the irony of it all
MG stands for Morris Garages Formally a British company Yet now you can't buy MG Marvel Car in the Uk
What's next to go Yorkshire Pudding

What a load of rollocks. It is absolutely nothing to do with Brexit, China the enemy, what utter cr8p. If that were the case SAIC/MG wouldn’t sell anything in the UK. The decision with the Marvel is technical - I haven’t found any reference to the car being engineered for RHD markets. If you are going to make this political don’t get me started on China and it’s shining examples of democracy and human rights.

Last edited:
Love the irony of it all
MG stands for Morris Garages Formally a British company Yet now you can't buy MG Marvel Car in the Uk
What's next to go Yorkshire Pudding
It's just a name - which has nothing to do with the company where the name originated. The same as going to Asda and buying a Kodak TV and complaining about it's lack of 35mm film processing abilities.

In all seriousness though, the reason the Marvel R won't come to the UK any time soon (and as mentioned on the various podcasts here) is that the MG brand is not strong enough to sell a £40k to £50k car in any volumes that make developing a RHD version viable.

Don't worry about Yorkshire Puddings though - as they were never granted protected designation-of-origin status - they can be, and probably are, made in all regions of the UK (and beyond).

It's just a name - which has nothing to do with the company where the name originated. The same as going to Asda and buying a Kodak TV and complaining about it's lack of 35mm film processing abilities.

In all seriousness though, the reason the Marvel R won't come to the UK any time soon (and as mentioned on the various podcasts here) is that the MG brand is not strong enough to sell a £40k to £50k car in any volumes that make developing a RHD version viable.

Don't worry about Yorkshire Puddings though - as they were never granted protected designation-of-origin status - they can be, and probably are, made in all regions of the UK (and beyond).
MG have said that their research shows them that the demand for the Marvel R will not come to the U.K. is because of the lack of that type of car in that type of segment.
There words - not mine.
Plus the cost of converting it over to R/H drive plays it’s part also 🤣.

Good point.
Personally I am not prepared pay anything on the other side of 30k for an MG. There are a lot of options and MG will find it hard to sell cars in that price range in the UK.

Good point.
Personally I am not prepared pay anything on the other side of 30k for an MG. There are a lot of options and MG will find it hard to sell cars in that price range in the UK.
I agree, but then again I wouldn't pay anything close to 30k for any car hence me buying the MG5. A car gets you from A to B. Were restricted by speed limits so a Tesla can only get there as fast or close to what I can. As long as its comfortable, has Android Auto and works I'm happy.

I agree, but then again I wouldn't pay anything close to 30k for any car hence me buying the MG5. A car gets you from A to B. Were restricted by speed limits so a Tesla can only get there as fast or close to what I can. As long as its comfortable, has Android Auto and works I'm happy.
Agree, who wants their neck snapped when accelerating. MG5 covers 95% of needs..

Not that far from Barnsley to Burnley... I delivered an MG5 to Ely in Cambridgeshire a couple of months back. And of course @Mike bought his last couple of cars from me when he was living in Croydon.
I've just ordered my ZS from Chorley and I to live in Croydon. I will use the drive back to get used to the car and test the range and charging out 😉

I think the RH drive issue is a bit of a non story as the Car is/will be sold in India and Australia among others which are RH drive.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom