Windscreen replacement

I did asked the technician to educate me and he was very happy to do so. I assumed calibration meant physical alignment of the camera in its housing behind the new screen but he said that there is no physical alignment to do as the camera fits very precisely on its locating lugs. He said that the calibration just amended preset parameters of the camera system and took more account of the optical qualities of the new screen amongst other things. I imagine the camera plays a combined part in all the automated systems as the LIDAR device is too low to spot things like the white lines on the road?

I have to say that since the screens replacement and without calibration all the automation is just as good/bad as it was before screen replacement but I have experienced my first emergency braking event in 12,000 miles - coincidence?

Autoglass have been very switched on and even call me following up an email to see if I'd booked the main dealer appointment so that they could ensure they paid for the MG visit and tie it up in one insurance claim.

Not sure what you mean by responsibility, if its who pays then Autoglass, who claim from my insurer, so ultimately me. It's not a warranty event for sure.
As you say the calibration process simply involes running a calibration procedure from computer, it should just count up to 100% complete. (Job Done).
Problem with mine is that it never reaches 100% complete and now errors for everything
Associated with the camera.

Following Glass replacement (AutoGlass) and before going to MG Dealer the only system error was road sign recognition. The strange thing was on leaving my home it recognsed a 40 mph sign but then as I approached first roundabout the error poped up.
All other systems seamed to be operating, but now ACC the one thing I do use is unavailable.

My question about responsability is if the camera assembly need to be replaced.

My question about responsability is if the camera assembly need to be replaced.
Well unless a brick went through the top of the screen and took out the camera, then it's a fault with the car and the dealerships efforts. In my book that's a w'tee problem

I spoke too soon !
A few days after the dealer installed updated software (mainly to address the LKA issue) with apparent success, Autoglass insisted on coming out to recalibrate.
They did this and it reverted to the same condition that it was in the last time they came !
So it has to go back to the dealer for yet another recalibration !
I seem to be in a perpetual loop !
Update:
Firstly, apologies that my previous references to Autoglass should have been to Auto Windscreens.
After Auto Windscreens had been out a second time to recalibrate the new windscreen, it was booked into the MG Dealer who did the recalibration. I had to pay the MG Dealer for the work but it was reimbursed by Auto Windscreens.

Saga continues MG Technical advised re-calibrating radar system before attampting
calibration of camera (surprise, suprise that failed as well).
After a further 2 weeks MG Technical suggested replacing the camera assembly.
So this morning we were back at the MG Dealers, but by 12:00 we had a call to say that
the replacement camera was also damaged.
So we have another wait and with little confidence of a speedy solution.

With a long trip to France coming up the one feature of the camera I do use ACC
is going to be missed.

Question :- Anyone know if the original MG4 Trophy windscreen had a Tint ???

Windscreen replacement update. Screen replaced end of June, AutoGlass said they couldn't re-calibrate the camera but it needed doing after a screen replacement. Needs to go to a main dealer.

Numerous main dealers couldn't do it, long story short they need a special piece of equipment VAR, yes I know it's not that but a three letter acronym that sounded very similar. They needed version 3 of this tool and the dealer network have version 2. AutoGlass head office kept plugging away at this issue, no I noticed no problem with any of the car systems but they weren't going to leaver me alone until the job was closed as they need to claim payment from Admiral Insurance.

Today I had an appointment at AuroGlass in Exeter and the jobs done - no I still don't notice any difference. So it would seem that AG now have all the equipment to complete an MG4 windscreen replacement totally in-house.

My front wondscreen was replaced last year, but fitter said it was not necessary to have it recalibrated, it all seems to be working fine for the last 12 months.
Is yours an early MG5 (SR) by any chance ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back