Windscreen washers freezing up very easily

M101

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Is anyone else having issue with their washer jets freezing up?
I filled my washer bottle with ready to use screen wash that contains anti freeze this weekend but when i set off to work today, i was only able to clean my windows a couple of times then they stopped working.
I will assume the nozzles have frozen as there is no snow or ice blocking them and screen wash is not frozen in the bottle.

On a cold morning like this, I spray some de-icer on the washer jet nozzles and that usually helps. I also go for screen wash rated at -10 degrees rather than the -5 stuff many supermarkets sell. I had problems with the -5 screen wash before not doing the job.

On a cold morning like this, I spray some de-icer on the washer jet nozzles and that usually helps. I also go for screen wash rated at -10 degrees rather than the -5 stuff many supermarkets sell. I had problems with the -5 screen wash before not doing the job.
None of my other cars washers work and then freeze up during the journey unless i only had plain water in the bottle so then its to be expected, they either work or they dont, and it wasn't even that cold today, it was -2 when i set off and as i said they were working fine for the first 5 minutes.

Its very easy to say all cars suffer from the same problems but in my 20 odd years of driving with decent screen wash they always worked even with it got much colder.

There are clearly a lot of minor design issues with the MG4

None of my other cars washers work and then freeze up during the journey unless i only had plain water in the bottle so then its to be expected, they either work or they dont, and it wasn't even that cold today, it was -2 when i set off and as i said they were working fine for the first 5 minutes.

Its very easy to say all cars suffer from the same problems but in my 20 odd years of driving with decent screen wash they always worked even with it got much colder.

There are clearly a lot of minor design issues with the MG4
Wind chill will be the reason they failed while you were moving and it also doesn't have heated washer jets and the heat from the engine to keep the washer fluid unfrozen.

The jets are hidden under the bonnet so there will be very little wind chill affecting them as the flow of air will be going over the bonnet and not under it. I would agree if they were old school style that sit on top of the bonnet.
As no EV has engine heat then im sure this will be a common issue that cant really be solved unless they modify the bottle and pipes to have heaters

Lets just face it, EV's are appalling in cold weather and likely will be for a long time.
My advice to anyone who is thinking of getting and EV, buy a cheap car with an ICE for the winter and use the EV for the rest of the year when they will actually be hassle free

I find EVs fantastic in the winter. Being able to precondition a car remotely and step it a warm and deiced car is one of the smuggest feelings especially as you drive past all the ICE cars slowly warming and being attacked by ice scrappers!

I haven't had any real problems in the last 6 years we have been only using EVs

Well lucky you.
I on the other hand dont think the ability to remotely prewarm the car outweighs all the other winter EV drawbacks, such as losing almost 50% of the range, frozen washer jets leading to carrying a bottle of water in the car to clear the windscreen and the car deciding to dangerously limit the cars power and speed when it got down to -7 degrees.

I also started my wife's car at the same time mine started pre heating, her cabin was toasty warm pretty quickly but she didn;t lose 20 miles of range, her jets didn't freeze and her car didn't lose 100bhp and limit her acceleration or top speed.

Never had washers freeze up in neither of my EVs. I always put in anti-freeze which is good to -20 or -15. That they're freezing is a cheap product issue not a car issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignoring all of the tangents this thread has taken, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that the washers haven't frozen up any morning in the last week. I have been pre-heating as needed.

Ignoring all of the tangents this thread has taken, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that the washers haven't frozen up any morning in the last week. I have been pre-heating as needed.
What Windscreen fluid are you using..all season or winter specific?

Buy concentrate and make up your own to whatever strength you desire. Much cheaper and better than the over-diluted rubbish they sell as a premix.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back