Windscreen washers freezing up very easily

Just put this in my basket ... decent stuff?
I use Prestone from Costco (but you can probs get it elsewhere as well).

Not sure exactly how good it is but all I can say is that I've used it in EV's for the last 9 years and so far I haven't had to "buy a cheap car with an ICE for the winter" - bonus!!

Last edited:
I've not used that before. It has a slightly higher min temp compared to the Costco version but it's still below the temps we get in the UK.

From a quick look, seems the Costco version is also on Amazon but it's £20 so quite pricey (probably people reselling from Costco). It's also on Ebay for £16.

The Prestone is the best I’ve used. I try not to use anything else to be honest. Euro Car Parts usually have it reasonably priced too

Is anyone else having issue with their washer jets freezing up?
I filled my washer bottle with ready to use screen wash that contains anti freeze this weekend but when i set off to work today, i was only able to clean my windows a couple of times then they stopped working.
I will assume the nozzles have frozen as there is no snow or ice blocking them and screen wash is not frozen in the bottle.
I’ve just done a 40 minute drive and it’s still not working. Is it frozen or broken 😞

I’ve just done a 40 minute drive and it’s still not working. Is it frozen or broken 😞
I think what other people have been saying about buying better quality screen wash will fix the problem, I thought mine was rated to -10 but when i pressed the washer this morning at -6 it came out like a slush puppy drink so its not a good one.

Interesting reading the Auto Express reviews of screen wash. Even the best, Prestone which claims to melt ice down to -18C when used neat, eventually ices over when left in a freezer for over 150 minutes.
The prolonged spell we've had at well below freezing would be testing for any screen wash especially with no form of heating from an ICE engine.

Well, my MG5 had its washers defrost and then freeze multiple times on the same journey and then the pipe feeding the rear spray ruptured and now whenever I attempt to spray it, I get screen wash out of the speaker on the driver side column. Yeah getting that looked at on Tuesday…

1671286358796.png

😉

Are the nozzles heated? My last cars (Volvo & Merc) had that?
If not can they be changed for heated type?

I just have the perception - and I have no proof - that in an ice the engine heat helps the washer pipes keep warmer on a journey compared to an ev. I still find it strange seeing the bonnet still covered in ice after a trip in my ev.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back