Windscreen Whiper Gutter full and frozen

NablaOperator

Novice Member
Reaction score
The first 3 snowy winter days (-5 degrees Celsius) in the MG ZS EV and I got stranded because the windscreenwhipers have had enough of it. They became harder to rev and they objected during a 10 kilometer trip by raising their voice.

When cleaning the windshield-whiper-gutter from snow a lot of hard rock ice came out. I needed an icepick to break and manouvre the approx. 1 liter of hard dense ice to come out of the gutter. The shafts of the two windscreen whipers where tight frozen in their (near) rest-position. No wonder they stopped.

After opening the bonnet you find the canals and exit hole for the rain water. There is an exit to this gutter yes, but all is rock hard frozen. Because it is freezing outside. Why is this a new problem to me?

I.C. cars don’t have this problem, because the 20kW heat loss heats up that gutter while being in the way for the warm engine-air to the exit which is the outside of the windshield. MG ZS was designed to be a hybrid. The hybrid will have a heated windscreen whiper gutter.... Is the EV crappy design? In 40 years, including 8 years of Nissan Leaf I have never had to clean the car from ice as I did today.

Windscreen whipers still don’t work (anymore) and it is not due to a broken fuse. They stopped functioning when they were not able anymore to reach the (blocked) end (stop) position. Placing the fuse back is the solution. Or try placing the fuse back while 12V power is on.

All OK now.

Thanks for this 'heads-up', my car has been standing in the snow for a couple of days and I therefore checked the wipers before starting up today. It's not enough to just unfreeze the wipers from the screen; as you pointed out the shafts and pivots are hidden under the bonnet edge which forms an ice/snow trap.

I always clear any snow out of the gutter anyway to aid the passage of air coming in for the HVAC.

Our next door neighbour burned out the wiper motor in their 2017 Seat Leon diesel last week doing exactly this (not clearing snow and ice around the wipers, they phoned the dealer and they’d had 17 similar calls that week, so it’s quite common across all cars

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom