wireless car play issue/advice wanted

irvo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
hey everyone
ive recently picked up my MG4 and a wireless car play dongle, im having to unplug the dongle and wait 60 seconds before plugging it back in everytime i get in the car and it kinda defeats the purpose of having it wireless, my main thought is the dongle is missing the hand shake while the infortainment system boots. im wondering if this is a common problem or if the dongle i purchased is a POS? im mulling over the carlinkit 5.0 but dont want to waste another $80 if im going to have the same problem.
cheers

I've got a Carlink 4.0 and that stays permanently plugged in on my SE SR - never needs to be unplugged. Assume that the 5.0 will be the same but who knows?

I have the same with Ottocast. If I keep it plugged in the infotrainment doesn’t detect it on boot up so I have to unplug it and plug back in for CarPlay to be recognised.

It’s the same if I use the cable for my iPhone - devices only seem to get detected when the infotainment system is fully booted and ready.

I’m on version R46 in my MY23 Trophy.

@DarrenG and @Tight Git what version of infotainment are you on?

I have the same with Ottocast. If I keep it plugged in the infotrainment doesn’t detect it on boot up so I have to unplug it and plug back in for CarPlay to be recognised.

It’s the same if I use the cable for my iPhone - devices only seem to get detected when the infotainment system is fully booted and ready.

I'm still on R13 on my SE SR and the dealer claimed it was the latest version when in for its service last week. I didn't want them to update it anyway as I didn't want to lose the external temperature that happens on R16 so left it as is.

hey everyone
ive recently picked up my MG4 and a wireless car play dongle, im having to unplug the dongle and wait 60 seconds before plugging it back in everytime i get in the car and it kinda defeats the purpose of having it wireless, my main thought is the dongle is missing the hand shake while the infortainment system boots. im wondering if this is a common problem or if the dongle i purchased is a POS? im mulling over the carlinkit 5.0 but dont want to waste another $80 if im going to have the same problem.
cheers
We have Carlinkit 5.0 - it works very well with iPhone and CarPlay or Google maps - although the first time we used it with Google Maps via iPhone the voice directions came out at ear-splitting full volume, nearly causing us to pass out - you can only decrease the guidance vol when the system is speaking to you. I usually leave it plugged in all the time and it boots up fine on getting the car into Ready mode.

With Android phone and Android Auto it sometimes starts up into a black screen and I have to long press the Home button on the car display to get it working properly. Don't seem to have these issues with iPhone/CarPlay. If my wife and I get in the car at the same time, Carlinkit will always connect to her iPhone in preference to my Android - a slightly irritating iPhone uber alles vibe there but to be expected with Apple ;) - but this can be resolved by turning off wifi and bluetooth on her phone.

We have Carlinkit 5.0 - it works very well with iPhone and CarPlay or Google maps - although the first time we used it with Google Maps via iPhone the voice directions came out at ear-splitting full volume, nearly causing us to pass out - you can only decrease the guidance vol when the system is speaking to you. I usually leave it plugged in all the time and it boots up fine on getting the car into Ready mode.

With Android phone and Android Auto it sometimes starts up into a black screen and I have to long press the Home button on the car display to get it working properly. Don't seem to have these issues with iPhone/CarPlay. If my wife and I get in the car at the same time, Carlinkit will always connect to her iPhone in preference to my Android - a slightly irritating iPhone uber alles vibe there but to be expected with Apple ;) - but this can be resolved by turning off wifi and bluetooth on her phone.
Which infotainment version are you on?

We are on R13 currently (SE LR), so on Android Auto I only get voice guidance if I'm listening to music via Android Auto, not the car's radio, but I am booked in (again) for a software update on 22nd September which will bring me up at least to R21, possibly R29, which should fix the voice guidance problem.

I'm still on R13 on my SE SR and the dealer claimed it was the latest version when in for its service last week. I didn't want them to update it anyway as I didn't want to lose the external temperature that happens on R16 so left it as is.
SE is up to R21 now, and there have been some reports of R29 too. I was booked in for a 'Service Recall' software update last Thursday, but the garage (Bath MG), didn't check the servers for the latest software update package, so when I picked the car up it was still on R13. I think they had 'updated' it with the same software version I was already on. They were absolutely clueless about what software versions were available, and were trying to tell me that the Revision numbers went up sequentially, so when I told them that next revision after 13 was 16, and that the forum was saying R21 or 29 were the latest revisions seen in the wild, they were very surprised. As I understand it R21 R29 (edited) reinstates the external temperature display.

If my car eventually gets updated on 22nd September, I'll let you know - the dealer was adamant that R21 was the latest rev for SE LR, but what do they know? I'll push for them to check for R29 first.

Mine occasionally fails to connect, and holding home button to reboot infotainment sorts it. You might want to try that instead of unplugging/plugging back in

I have the same experience. Need to wait with plugging in the iPhone.
R40 Trophy

I have the same experience. Need to wait with plugging in the iPhone.
R40 Trophy
I haven’t played with the Ottocast to see if it can delay the boot up but the MG needs to start up first. Maybe the boot sequence is different in later version of the infotainment software?

No such issues with my Carlinkit 4.0, what device do you have
An amazon special apparently

Mine occasionally fails to connect, and holding home button to reboot infotainment sorts it. You might want to try that instead of unplugging/plugging back in
i did give that a go but its the same as when starting the drive, needs time before connection or my phone attaches to it but the infotainment never sees it without unplugging and replugging.

I've got a Carlink 4.0 and that stays permanently plugged in on my SE SR - never needs to be unplugged. Assume that the 5.0 will be the same but who knows?
carlinkit 4.0 it is cheers mate

I'm currently using the Carlinkit 5 adapter, and it has been working well for 5 months without any need for unplugging as you say. And I did not spend $80 to get this adapter, I can share with you the website where I purchased it and the discount code "LE18" I have used. I ended up spending only $70.
Carlinkit 5.0 (2air): The Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto Adapter

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 545 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel