Wireless charging phone

Is your old phone in a case? Is the case quite thick?

I've heard that wireless charging in the MG4 is temperamental and thicker cases can make the signal very weak and more susceptible to positioning on the shelf.

I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max in a leather cover. If left in the cover the wireless charger is very hit & miss (probably more miss) works a lot better without the cover but still doesn’t work 100% of the time.

It was no different in my previous Ford Focus (iPhone 13 Pro Max) with a phone cover it rarely charged, worked better out of cover but still wasn’t 100% reliable.

Now either I’m extremely unlucky & in each car I didn’t have a fully working car wireless charger, or it’s just depends on the phone, in/out of cover.

Thankfully I don’t need to use it a lot but if I was planning a long trip I’d just make sure I had the phone lead with me, plug in, much more reliable.

I do not have a phone with wireless charging but if I had I would:

a. Remove the mat to see if charging improved (there's probably an range-squared distance rule somewhere determining the transferred power so any distance increase between the coils loses power, as siteguru indicated);

b. Find the limits of the charging, if possible, by moving the phone to map where the charging starts/stops (and if possible the strength);

c. If the above improved matters, buy some non-slip matting to fit the tray and cut out the phone shape over the place where maximum charging power was detected. Save the original mat for when the car is to be sold.

a. Correct ... wireless (magnetic induction) power loss is proportional to the square of distance - double the distance = quarter of the power transferred.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back