Won't charge. Any suggestions?

One local to me will charge 20% in one hour that's 10kw per hour on a type 2 charger.

That is interesting. I thought the MG only had a 7.6kW capable AC to DC converter for charging.
I remember reading something like that so next time I use it I will check but that might not be for weeks so we will run with 7.6 max till then.

Pod point can have issues with charge rate in the past I have connected to 22Kw to actually see it charging at 7Kw. Others I have seen say 3Kw but actually charge at 7Kw they work just not at the advertised rate.
a 22kW charger is 3 phase type 2. MG cars in the UK can only charge on type 2 single phase AC, so on a 22kW you will get one phase only out of 3 - 1/3rd of 22 is just over 7kW. On an 11 kW 3 phase - 1/3 is a bit over 3 kW. It is not PodPoint's issue. It is the car. Max Type 2 Ac is 7kW. CCS - DC rated at 76kW - but reports of just below 100 being achieved.

My charger must be broken 🤯 Maxes out at 7.4 kW

IMG_1268.PNG

a 22kW charger is 3 phase type 2. MG cars in the UK can only charge on type 2 single phase AC, so on a 22kW you will get one phase only out of 3 - 1/3rd of 22 is just over 7kW. On an 11 kW 3 phase - 1/3 is a bit over 3 kW. It is not PodPoint's issue. It is the car. Max Type 2 Ac is 7kW. CCS - DC rated at 76kW - but reports of just below 100 being achieved.
So when podpoint says 7kw but only charges at 3Kw it's the cars fault.and when it says 3kw but actually charges at 7kw it's the cars fault again umm I'm missing something in that I think.

Aa have arrived. The car is now charging. The breakdown guy can't understand why it wouldn't charge. So far we've had nothing but disappointment with this car. We live in a semi rural area and the infrastructure just isn't there yet. Loads of 7kwh chargers but they are useless unless you leave for hours. Thinking of selling and maybe get another one when you can have a choice of chargers. Thanks everyone.
This happend to me. Was brought home on an AA flatbed. But the car would charge on the type 2 and the granny charger. ie it would charge from a DC charger. It was a software problem apparently, fixed by the dealer

I've had problems getting my MG5 SR to start charging when connected to a Pod Point Fast charger at my local supermarket. The sequence I normally use is 1. Connect cable to Vehicle, 2. Connect cable to Charger, 3. Activate device on my mobile, 4. Lock car. I then look at the MG display (through the window of the locked car) which should say Connected - Charging, with a number of hours to complete (100%) charging. Sometimes the number of hours stays blank which from experience indicates that it is not charging. This may be due to me getting the charging sequence wrong, or some other reason. On checking the Owners Handbook I found an inconsistency... On page 137 it recommends the charging cable be connected to the charging device BEFORE connecting to the vehicle. This is a general recommendation so presumably applies to Slow, Fast and Rapid charging devices.
On page 145 it says connect the charging cable to the vehicle first, then connect to the electricity supply. This is under the heading of Residential Charging 3 pin), so does it apply only to the granny charger or all charging devices?
Is it just me not following the correct sequence? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Surely cannot be for rapid charging.... They all have their permanently connected thick cables.

Car - wall - lock - then claim the charge in the app was my understanding of the process.

Last PodPoint I used was post, car, claim charge. It didn't make any difference if locked or not.

I've had problems getting my MG5 SR to start charging when connected to a Pod Point Fast charger at my local supermarket. The sequence I normally use is 1. Connect cable to Vehicle, 2. Connect cable to Charger, 3. Activate device on my mobile, 4. Lock car. I then look at the MG display (through the window of the locked car) which should say Connected - Charging, with a number of hours to complete (100%) charging. Sometimes the number of hours stays blank which from experience indicates that it is not charging. This may be due to me getting the charging sequence wrong, or some other reason. On checking the Owners Handbook I found an inconsistency... On page 137 it recommends the charging cable be connected to the charging device BEFORE connecting to the vehicle. This is a general recommendation so presumably applies to Slow, Fast and Rapid charging devices.
On page 145 it says connect the charging cable to the vehicle first, then connect to the electricity supply. This is under the heading of Residential Charging 3 pin), so does it apply only to the granny charger or all charging devices?
Is it just me not following the correct sequence? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
For the 7kW (fast) Pod Points you should plug the cable into the charger first then plug the cable into the car, lock the car (although not necessary on the 5) then after a couple of seconds it should say it's charging. You then confirm the charge on the Pod Point app. The number of hours to full takes a while to calculate so it does appear blank at first.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom